People don't yet take battery operated chainsaws seriously.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I dont know what anology means, but if someone said to me 10 years ago an electric car would littarally rape a trans-am - I would not believe it.
My legs lifted from the floor when my brothers buddy gave full throttle in he's ford cosfort, that was at 480hp. my brothers tesla is at 500.
I think the greatest difference is at the immediately power, not like you have to wait for the rpm to get up to date.

That said, I love the magic of a combustion engine. It can not be replaced.

Battery saws is already up to date if you have the dollars, 10 years from now they will exceed the standard gauge.
It puts us combustion engine fanatists in the extinct league.

I see a lot of "nope, no way" here. But not from people who have actually used one. The owners have generally expressed satisfaction.

Once again, if my gas saws were fond of starting I would have a different perspective on gas. They work amazing at sea level though. Night and day difference really. But why in hell would anybody choose to live at sea level?

I've used quite a few, and unless you're a Homeowner trimming some bushes or someone who can't check an Air filter,
It's along way to the Top for Electric Saws.

Mad3400

I agree that isn’t a valid argument today. Most new working pickup trucks, including mine, are set up to power electric tools.
My FIL cuts firewood (nothing much over 12") with a corded saw - he carries a generator in the back of his truck...
He's 89. At 89 you get to be eccentric.

During Hurricane Katrina the only pole saw I could find down there was a Remington corded electric. Ran it off a generator.

Philbert
Oh Lawd......there is corded saws and then there are corded saws.......Leeha has a Stihl corded saw....three phase...think it had a 30" bar......like 7 horse....not a wimpy saw by any measure......

Battery chainsaws are in their infancy.......they only gonna get better and better. I can remember when battery screwdrivers came on the market......they were better than hand driving screws but were really limited....now look at the options. My 20V platform allows me to drive 3-4" screws for half a day steady on the job, per battery...

Now, that said, they will not replace large saws cutting large trees in the near future.....but mind you....they are on the move...and as battery tech improves so will they....

I’m either tilling(garden) or trolling(fishing). Lol

There’s a tree cutting company on u tube where three cutters are using Husqvarna electric saws and doing one hell of a job I’m impressed with electric saws.

I think that four stroke saws are out dated before they gain popularity. I think electric saws will bypass them for sure. The two strokes will still rule.
Baileys Logging take the Husky electrics and outfit them with Stihl 1/4 LP Chisel .043 chain which Stihl uses on their electrics. They sourced the 1/4 bar and sprockets to retrofit the Huskies. They claim it is the best package for arborist/ tree climbers. The chain the Husqvarna come with is not impressive on electrics (probably 3/8LP) and the Stihl electric saws don't perform as well as the Husqvarnas.
Just what I had heard, never tried the combo personally.

The driver for me to get a battery powered chainsaw was for camping, as having petrol inside a vehicle isn't good for anyone. I got the Milwaukee one as that is the cordless platform I already have, and already had several 12ah batteries that it requires to operate sufficiently. Whilst it's a great saw for its intended application (collecting reasonably sized firewood for a campfire), it certainly doesn't get my heart rate up with excitement like my petrol powered chainsaws do. As for longevity, I'm expecting it to be functional and serviceable for Al least the next 10years based on the consistency and support Milwaukee has shown for the current cordless platform overall.

Oh Lawd......there is corded saws and then there are corded saws......
Yes, that was definitely a ‘home owner saw’, but all we could get. Still have it. Key is to understand that it is light duty: keep the chain sharp and let the saw do the work.

I have better corded, electric Saws: Makita, Jonsered, Oregon, etc. I have used them for storm cleanup, with a good, 12 gauge, extension cord. Power is often back up in the cities before clean-up is done.

Philbert

Been running battery outdoor power equipment for around the last 5 years or so.....thousands of hours. Pretty much all handhelds in a lawn landscape business that I own. Like most of you I have had battery construction tools for much longer. With battery construction tools it comes down to ease of use and convenience plus a few other things. Battery ooutdoor power equipment is completely different...this includes battery chainsaws. Generally the battery represents the bulk of the cost...but that battery represents basically gas. If that $300 battery is recharged 600 times at a savings of 50 cents in gas each time Including the cost of recharge the battery has paid for itself. I've done this dozens of times and the battery very rarely doesn't pay for itself... many time It saves me money.

In saying that..... battery technology hasn't really improved in the last 10 years...oh sure new little tweeks show up but right now they are just optimizing old technology. Brushless motors help some. Unless a new battery technology shows up battery saws won't be a replacement for the above 50 cc saw anytime soon.

I live in Cali...home of the small engine ban. When the law was passed...within weeks...I purchased not one but two new 60 cc saws plus a slew of other gas equipment that I don't believe battery is even close to.

I could go on about where I think battery saws fit in but I think others have covered it.

I have been diagnosed with pretty bad CAD. I typically own at least thirty saws, running and on the shelve for rebuild. I love both using them and repairing them. I had one little Ryobi battery saw that I used primarily as a loaner when a neighbor needed a saw. It was ok for what it was, but I never took it in the field. Then a couple of months ago my brother bought me a Stihl MSA220 with 16” bar. It is a serious little saw that I would equate to a 45cc gas saw. What I really like about this saw is how much safer it feels and easier to use in constrained or difficult sawing circumstances. I believe two batteries would last a whole day of heavy use. I love my gas saws but I really believe that in five years the battery saws will be replacing them, except maybe for the over 70cc category.

I can see where they have their usefulness, but I don't see them replacing all the gas saws. I tend to keep things (in working order) for a long time. Show me the cost of keeping (or replacing) a battery powered saw over the period of 20 years and we can compare it to my Echo. It sounds like the OP needs to have his saws tuned for the altitude that he's running them at. I can start my 34cc saw with 3 to 4 pulls, cold or hot, and my 79cc saw starts just as fast or faster.

Surely the lack of noise would cause problems/accidents
Be hard to get used to but when you're kickin them 450 4 strokes butt that bad i could deal with it. All we had was 2 strokes back in the day and none would keep up with that. now i'm not suggesting gas engines be replaced just that the electrics have come a long way. that bike run balls out for 20 minutes.

Show me the cost of keeping (or replacing) a battery powered saw over the period of 20 years and we can compare it to my Echo.
If you think any of the battery saws will be working to spec after 20 years you're dreaming... But we can compare them to some degree given the following estimates (based on my local currency & measures); Generally the current cells in use have a service life of 300-500 cycles & a battery will loose about ⅓ of it's capacity over its life.
A 6Ah battery costs around $250.
In my experience a couple of 5Ah/6Ah batteries give a comparable run time to about 200ml of mix in a similar size saw (purely an estimate based on my experience, adjust to suit your own if it's wildly different).
Said mix would be less than 50c.
So... My ~$500 of batteries would be replacing ~$200 in mix (+ whatever I would spend in maintenance over the course of ~400 tanks).
For us practical people (& fellow "CADies"), it only makes sense to use battery equipment when that's what's most functional/practical (until they improve them)... But for the average home owner that uses a saw twice a year (& probably has to get it serviced every other time it comes out) there is real merit in being able to plug your drill batteries on the saw for half an hour of cutting.
Another thing to note is that batteries don't like sitting around for extended periods, so having a saw that's part of a "system" should be a consideration for those not using it regularly.

If you think any of the battery saws will be working to spec after 20 years you're dreaming... But we can compare them to some degree given the following estimates (based on my local currency & measures); Generally the current cells in use have a service life of 300-500 cycles & a battery will loose about ⅓ of it's capacity over its life.
A 6Ah battery costs around $250.
In my experience a couple of 5Ah/6Ah batteries give a comparable run time to about 200ml of mix in a similar size saw (purely an estimate based on my experience, adjust to suit your own if it's wildly different).
Said mix would be less than 50c.
So... My ~$500 of batteries would be replacing ~$200 in mix (+ whatever I would spend in maintenance over the course of ~400 tanks).
For us practical people (& fellow "CADies"), it only makes sense to use battery equipment when that's what's most functional/practical (until they improve them)... But for the average home owner that uses a saw twice a year (& probably has to get it serviced every other time it comes out) there is real merit in being able to plug your drill batteries on the saw for half an hour of cutting.
Another thing to note is that batteries don't like sitting around for extended periods, so having a saw that's part of a "system" should be a consideration for those not using it regularly.
A LOT of dairy farmers over here are buying the biggest Stihl with their dedicated batteries to use for farm saws- to stop muppet staff straight gassing regular saws! :p
They work well for cutting fallen limbs that are interfering with current continuity around the fences.

Latest posts

Back