Petzl 'Dis-Service'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutnHack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I haven't posted in quite a while, so please forgive if this isn't in the right spot.

I was curious if anyone out there has had any problems with Petzl products and getting service issues resolved with them?

Specifically, I climb in a Petzl Sequoia saddle that I purchased 3 or 4 years ago and about two weeks ago I came out of a tree and was un-roping, and noticed that the left leg buckle keeper (...the grey plastic piece with the yellow spring loaded button) was missing. After brushing out, I found the piece and saw that the plastic edge had just broken off. No big deal as the two ends of the metal buckle stay together when you cinch it down around your leg. However, I wanted to fix it the right way so I got in touch with the outfit that sold me the rig (Wesspur) to see if they had a replacement buckle I could purchase. They didn't, but forwarded me on to Petzl's Warranty and Repairs department. BOHICA!

From there, things went down hill fast. No they couldn't send (or sell!) me a new buckle, no I couldn't fix it myself. I had to send the saddle in for inspection (...took about a week to get it back) and repair based on their corporate PPE requirements. Next I received a call and spoke with a guy (Matt) who politely said that they they couldn't repair the buckle and that the saddle should be taken out of service due to its deteriorating condition, missing identification tag, and fraying threads. No mention of the buckle, or why the plastic may have broken (...I've had no lead falls, no bad swings, nada!). Basically they just wanted to sell me a new saddle and they couched it as a 'safety issue'.

After my blood pressure returned to normal, I just said "send it back". Matt did say he'd be happy to "cut me a really good deal..." on a new saddle though. ARRRRGHHH!!!! If I could have reached into the phone, there'd be one less weazel in the world today. Not only will I NEVER buy anything that says Petz on it again, I'll let everyone I know the type of "DISSERVICE" they provide.

I'm not normally a whiner, but I just thought that the runaround I got was ridiculous and stinks of corporate CYA liability BS. I didn't just fall off the last turnip truck to come down the road. I've used (...and worn out) a lot of gear over the last 30 years or so...tools, clothing, etc. I've also done business with companies that stand behind their products 110%. In most cases if I had an issue and needed something fixed, they'd send me a brand new one. No questions asked! For nothing more that some webbing, nylon, plastic, and a little bit of metal made somewhere overseas for pennies on the dollar, they sure think a lot of it. Or maybe not, if it's supposedly worn out after only 3 years?!?!?!?!

If all of this wasn't such an enormous waste of time, I'd post pics of my saddle so y'all could see it. It just looks like what a normal amount of wear and tear 3 years of tree work does. And it's in better shape than most! Yeah, it's a little phuzzed up but bark and saws are abrasive... If it wasn't safe to climb in, I wouldn't. Period.

Anyway, I'm done. I'd like to hear from anyone that's had similar horror stories. Maybe if enough people are as pissed as I am and say something about it, Petzl will change the way they do business...I doubt it, but maybe.

I've been leaning towards springing for a Sequoia to replace my comfortable but heavy Sierra Moreno that I've been using for the last four + years. I've never really had any issues with Petzl products like biners and my Vertex.

i bought a petzl id a couple years back when they rated them for 1/2" rope. My half in rope didnt feed really great threw it using it drt. I called them and they said they would send me a piece of there 1/2" rope to try it on. I thought they would probably send me 10 feet. I get a huge box in the mail, and open it. Low and behold they sent me a 150' piece of rope.

Not sure how it is where you are, but if a piece of equipment is missing it's ID / manufacturing tag it is no longer allowed in service, I realize it was your saddle, and you used it exclusively, but petzl has absolutely no idea of that, they are covering their ass as they should, a saddle in service after 3 years is going to be pretty beat up regardless. I think your best bet is to try and get a better deal on a new harness from them, in ontario if that tag is missing it's a big fine for the user / company.

First time I tried on my sequoia I hated it, felt like I was wearing some kinda french fag boy g-string... Gotten used to it and love its light weight and comfort but I wouldn't expect more then 3 to 4 years out of this thing. Ain't no buckingham..

I've got 3 years on my Petzl saddle and i could get a couple/few more year out of it, I'm sure. But I am ready to replace it. Yeah, removing the tag is a big no no. My next saddle is going to be a Buckingham.

I have had repairs made to previous saddles by a good friend who is a commercial upholsterer. You might give that a shot. Or take the guy up on a decent offer of a discount on a new saddle iF you like Petzl.

Thanks To All

Hey All,

I just want to say thanks for all the input. I really appreciate all the insights. S'all good.

While not really happy about the outcome at this point, I really like the saddle and I'm gonna keep climbing in it till it really wears out. The way I treat my gear, it'll probably last me another 3 years.

I've got a buddy that was a parchute rigger for Uncle and he's given me some heavy duty buckles and webbing. I'm gonna take the saddle to an outfit that makes gear and have them custom sew some new buckles and webbing on it for me.

Oh yeah, first and I'm gonna stitch a Grateful Dead "Steal Your Face" patch over the the Petzl name on the back!

Cheers!

The guy that I mentioned that does upholstery keeps rolls of webbing and all kinds of different buckles on hand in his shop. He restores marine craft. Some might think it odd to have an upholsterer repair your saddle but my guy spent years working on aircraft before he started his own business. If it were some type of life support connection I would just retire the saddle but a leg strap or other type of customization is no problem.

Petzl saddle lasting 3 years....wow your lucky. OD is lucky do get a year out of them. I am done buying them for my guys. You by a Buckingham and after 10 years they are still in good shape, Petzl has broken straps after a few months

Petzl saddle lasting 3 years....wow your lucky. OD is lucky do get a year out of them. I am done buying them for my guys. You by a Buckingham and after 10 years they are still in good shape, Petzl has broken straps after a few months

You guys do straight, heavy duty production work. I don't doubt that Justin only gets a year out of his saddle. Nothing is harder on gear than doing large removals day in and day out.

I bought my last Petzl saddle on Justin's recommendation and haven't been disappointed with it. I did experience all the same issues with it that OD did with the straps loosening up. It has still been a nice comfy saddle and I have made a lot of money with it. However, it is starting to fray and wear out. I am going to have to replace it this year. I am planning on going back to the old school with a Buck Pinnacle deluxe. I am curious to see if I will like going back to a 4 D saddle after using a floating bridge for so long. I have never been a big fan of the step through saddles.

Back