Petzl Microcender

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0_TreeMan_0o

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just bought a Microcender for my flipline. I have been using a 3&3 V.T. with a delta link and quick link (to work like a Microcender).

Has anyone ever had the spring pin come out while climbing? I want to use the spring pin as opposed to the bolt so I can switch between my 10' and 30' flipline without using wrenches.

Climbed with it today and it did fine. But i don't want to find out the hard way that I should have used the bolt. I welcome any input from climbers that have used the Microcender.

They send the bolt w/ the Microcender for a reason. I wouldn't dare use mine w/o it . The 2 minutes you save could cost you your life. I too use different length fliplines, both w and w/o wire cores. It can be a drag, but it's time well spent. I also use it asan opportunity to inspect the hardware.
Tied in,
Jesse

Yep!

May i suggest my hottest simple buy last year; the twisted clevis (measley $16-Sherrill #15991) it is a lil'polished marvel to hold and realize its graceful strength. Didn't buy one at first, what diffrence could it make....... But, now i really luv how it lines the discreet microscender up to opposite 'D', taking the twist out of the microscender alignment, accentuating its smmothness, by taking the twist on itself. It too is very discreet, especially compared 'biners/ quik-linx, and also takes a tool to open, though you can change host lines without removing it, it just holds the cam to the saddle while you do.

i run a 12' lanyard, have an extra brass snap to keep it from hanging in my legs. If i need more length i slap my 4' redirect sling/'biner on the end. Not quite 30', but if ya tried something similar, it might reduce the 30' need some, and the temptation to not use the most positive connection, which isn't too bad to change anyway, just getting past the idea (oooops telling on myself.........)! Maybe put the VT on th 30' for quick-ease, switching with wrenches minim-ally.

i really luv the adjustability of the system, and knowing i can throw my weight forward, pull a bunch of slack through the smoooth adjuster and fall back at it has me positively. Using the same length for so long, i know just where it will catch me as i confident-ally fall back.

Mike got it right. This is one place where a knot is much better suited to work that the mechanical, and cheaper too :)

I use a three over two Distal for my double ender. Under the Distal I have a key chain biner to act as a slack tender. I can snug up or loosen with one hand.

use the bolt.

tom

Very nice application!

Might play with that myself, though might try something diffrent for knot tender, being non-weight bearing.

i would think that the micro w/twisted clevis is more discreet with less play. Between slide and grab. Is that true?

The cender is a lot better. I have been climbing with it for two days now and will not go back to the V.T.

The standing part of my flipline also attaches to the delta link in case the V.T. fails and to keep it out of my spurs while climbing and walking. The quick link can be replaced with the Petzl Micro Pulley. It fits nicely on the delta link. :D

oOOo,
What is it you don't like about the old set up?
Is it that you get paid by the hour and it made your work go too fast?
Is it beacuse your left hand was atrophying from not being needed to adjust your lanyard, and the microascender requires two hands to slack when there is weight on it?
Are you just a gear head and needed a new useless toy?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Not sure why you are acting like a green ground person Mike. I get paid by the day and not the hour. I don't think any climbers in my area get paid hourly. Maybe you still have to punch a time clock. lol. Unlike you I do not use a nonadjusting lanyard. With an attitude like that I not sure you are even a climber. Still dragging brush and humping wood to the truck maybe? I guess things where done differently back in your day. My day rate is high enough (because of my experience) that I can afford the microcender. I guess since you still work by the hour you can only spend $3 for the cord.

The cender bites the lanyard as soon as I let go of it. With the V.T. you have to watch out for it expanding and not grabbing. The cender is also faster to adjust. However, my old setup works the same way as the cender.

Grow up Mike and toss out those three strand climb lines and fliplines. You do realize that it is the year 2002 do you not?

:p

Oh, by the way Gramps, I er, um mean Mike, do you still have all five fingers on your left hand or have you sawn them off blocking a stub down? Or do you just not know how the Microcender works? It only requires one hand to adjust the cender even with your weight on the flipline.

Still don't know why you are flaming me about my choice in gear. If gear does not keep evolving we might as well go back to three strand hemp like you used when you where in your prime.

Have a real nice day/night Mike :)

I get it, You were having trouble getting the prussic to bite.
I noticed in the picture you had the same size ropes for the prussic and the climbing line. An 1/8" difference is supposed to give the best hold. The other issue is the length sensitivity of a prussic. If the loop is just a little too loose, it will not bite consistantly. Finally, I noticed you tie your v.t. (actually M.T.) one cross shorter than most guys.
One or more of these factors may be why you are having a performance problem with your old setup. If not, I can't figure out why you would go back, that's all.
And no, you really can't open an ascender with out releasing the pressure. Having spent years climbing on both a micro-ascender and a Gibbs ascender(my preference over the micro), both pale in comparison to a <I>properly tied</I> prussic adjuster and fair lead.
Please don't get worked up if I tug your chain a little.
Oh, one more thing, don't ever call me a ground man again! :angry:

O.K MIke, here goes:

I have climbed with the Microcender for two days now. YES it releases line with weight on it. I am only leaninig back on the flipline, not supporting my body and gear on it.

The flipline is 7/16 static and the cord is 5/16 double braid w/coating like a bullrope. So YES there is a 1/8" difference in the dia. of the two.

I think Dave likes it when I'm a wiseass.

Tim,
One more thing, your prussic has spliced eyes. This makes it hard to fine tune for length sensitivity.
(I see now the ropes are different).

Signed,
Grampa, the brush dragging, fingerless, green, clock punching, past his prime, hemp using, hourly, poor, GROUNDMAN. :eek:

Originally posted by Mike Maas

Signed,
Grampa, the brush dragging, fingerless, green, clock punching, past his prime, hemp using, hourly, poor, GROUNDMAN. :eek:

LMAO I was laughing about the fact he called you a Green Brush Dragger :D

Back