Pferd vs Stihl combi sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own and have used the Granberg. It does marginally better than the 2 in 1, but it is very slow to use. Takes me at least 20 minutes to sharpen a chain with it. I do not gain enough from that sharpening to make it worthwhile. As for the 2 in 1 sucks claim, I can cut through a 12" while oak seasoned round in under 5 seconds and an 18" red oak in about 10 seconds, using an MS500i and RS chain. To me, that does not suck!
Yes the grandberg jig is slow.
I can only give you my expiereance with the Pferd 2 in 1. I used one years ago and found the results lacking in both tooth profile and raker height. The tooth profile wasn't great and the rakers where taken down to far for use in hardwood.
At the time I found the Husqvarna roller guides gave me much better results. Subsequently, I put in the time and effort to learn to hand file and my handfiling exceeds both and I am by no means a great hand filer compared to some.

Yes the grandberg jig is slow.
I can only give you my expiereance with the Pferd 2 in 1. I used one years ago and found the results lacking in both tooth profile and raker height. The tooth profile wasn't great and the rakers where taken down to far for use in hardwood.
At the time I found the Husqvarna roller guides gave me much better results. Subsequently, I put in the time and effort to learn to hand file and my handfiling exceeds both and I am by no means a great hand filer compared to some.
I have long suspected that the Pferd files down the rakers more than a 25 thousandths gap. It makes it cut a bit rough, but fast. The 500i has enough power to handle the more aggressive cut. My previous saw was an MS441C, and I had to baby it a bit when I sharpened with the Pferd. I don't use a bar longer than 25", so the 500i is not challenged by it. I have learned that you need to apply pressure in the right way to keep a good tooth profile. It must be both down and back at the same time.

I'm sure that first sentence is correct as most can't sharpen a chain to save their lives.
The results you get from these 2 in 1 jobs still sucks.
As sharpening gizmos go the simple Husqvarna roller guides are very about the best thing going. The Grandberg system also works pretty good as well, but takes some know how to set it up.

I can sharpen a chain by hand but I can't see as good as I used to and I'm not as steady as I used to be. The 2n1 works fine for me and I'm a lot faster with it.

I have noticed oregon chains having different length chisels and depth rakers tooth to tooth, the 2-1 knocks down some rakers more than others and the chips are more uniform in size after. It also takes 5-6 swipes per tooth to change chisel profile angles on the first sharpening. The clutch side chisels are all slightly shorter than the recoil side, brand new chains cut to the left hard once they start to dull with sharpening straightening the cut right out so im adding 2 extra swipes on the recoil side chisels until they measure evenly.

Oregon 72EXJ072G and​

72EXJ091G both exhibit this​

I found the same thing. It appears Oregon uses two grinding wheels on a production line, left and right. They don't seem to dress them uniformly. Maybe to save money they only dress them when they have to, I don't know, but the chain price is reasonable so...
...although since i started buying more my STIHL dealer has been spinning me loops of STIHL chain for about the same price... and STIHL chain is extremely uniform.

I found the same thing. It appears Oregon uses two grinding wheels on a production line, left and right. They don't seem to dress them uniformly. Maybe to save money they only dress them when they have to, I don't know, but the chain price is reasonable so...
...although since i started buying more my STIHL dealer has been spinning me loops of STIHL chain for about the same price... and STIHL chain is extremely uniform.
Indeed. I have tried a number of chains, and the Stihl RS seems to cut the fastest and last the longest between sharpenings. It also does not stretch as much. Worth the price.

i check again . and some stihl 2in1 has swiss and some stihl 2in1 has german file .
i dont know why . i buy to stihl dealer in Korea
but dont buy chinese 2in1 it has bad file position bad working.
i have stihl and pferd and chinese 2in1 .

When I bouya Stihl it had finer file. About the same as their files if you just uy Stihl files.

They are more like the "Premium" Pferd files. I prefer the Pferd Classic.

Back