Philbert's Chain Salvage Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple pics. I sharpened it per the Oregon 72DG instructions, at least all the angles and cutter lengths are the same now. 3/16 wheel, 60/30/0 so I will see how it cuts.

3c0a0b75569714490993cd585f2e05f1.jpg
9b960418c25b49bf3905cc95a6146156.jpg

there is also a Z on some of the non cutter, non drive links.

Brian
Sorry Brian,

But I seriously doubt that chain will cut good! You have absolutely no "hook" and the "cutting pointy top" of the cutters have a flash reflection, that is for me an indication that you still need to take quite some material off to get satisfactory cutting results!

huh, I will look again but I am doing it with a grinding wheel setup and I judge how much to take by looking face on at the cutter and keep adjusting the stop until I get a full ground face. the chain was pretty screwed up though so there are 1 or 2 that didn't get a full dress just because I didn't want to take all that metal off the rest of the cutters. on the the other hand I certainly am no expert. I will put this chain on straight away if I cut today.

Brian

@briantutt

No offense meant but just looking at the pics I would assume that about 0.04inch should be taken off to get a half-way decent cutting chain.

Always hard to go by a picture, and semi-chisel 'hook' is especially hard to judge, compared to the clear point of full-chisel chain.

I would clean the gunk off of that chain; touch up the edges; check the depth gauges and round them over; and see how it cuts!

I judge how much to take by looking face on at the cutter and keep adjusting the stop until I get a full ground face.
Good to start with good, clean metal.

Philbert

Sorry Philbert, but this time you are clearly far to diplomatic! If one looks at the first pic you can clearly see that the cutters are NOT filed correctly!

I will mount the chain on the bar and take some more pics. since it was on the grinder all angles are fixed and repeatable so we will see.

Brian

As Clint Eastwood says, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do . . ."

Many grinders come with a 1/4" or 5/16" wheel for depth gauges. If you don't have one, you have a few options:

Use your 3/16" wheel and take it down part way (all around the loop); then back off the chain stop a hair, and take the wheel done a bit more to approximate the 1/4" wheel profile.

OR:

Shape the cutter as best as you can with the 3/16" wheel and finish it off with a file to get the final profile and edge.

Philbert

I think pictures can be deceiving. I made a cut through an 18 inch log. first with the brand new chain from Oregon, full chisel, factory sharp.
33993cc01e98ec7089e3235366b7343e.jpg

I then swapped to the reclaimed semi-chisel sharpened be me. I dare say the reclaimed chain cuts even better based on the saw dust. nice long chips from the old chain.

5c3673b529450ba8b151eeb5107aeabf.jpg

one more picture of the reclaimed chain mounted.

3169a21a5be4324ac61d655a4b4c7987.jpg

Brian

Take it back to a 'normal' 35 degree or go with the average?

This is on a gear drive Remy BTW.

Not sure what you mean by "average" or who you're asking, but if it were me and there was enough meat left on the worst case cutter to get back to original angle specs with the grinder and then dial it in with a file, that'd be the way I'd go.

Latest posts

Back