Philbert's Low-er Tech Filing Vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The company that originally invented the Vice-Grip was in Nebraska and went broke about three years ago. I have to believe that they would still have been in business had Philbert been around and showed them add-on tools and potential modifications like this.

I've used Vice-Grips for years and have three sizes. At one time or another, I have used them all. They often work when nothing else does. Bravo, Philbert!

As it looks to me, it shares the main issue with many other chain clamps - it will be very slow to use, which in my world means virtually useless.

As it looks to me, it shares the main issue with many other chain clamps - it will be very slow to use, which in my world means virtually useless.
Slow to use? I think that needs to be verified. The Vice-Grip has a quick release and then all it needs is pressure to clamp it tight once again. Not sure where you are coming from.

If I Could Weld . . .

Welding small tabs below the back jaw would let me drill the mounting holes lower, raising the jaws up.
This would provide clearance for square filing in both directions, and simplify the 2X4 preparation.

Or, as noted, someone could just weld it to a piece of steel plate.

View attachment 417044

Philbert

Also, for those that do know how to weld....

It would be a cinch to attach flat stock to either side of the jaws to extend how many cutters to have ready prior to needing to rotate the chain.

It would be a cinch to attach flat stock to either side of the jaws to extend how many cutters to have ready prior to needing to rotate the chain.
There is some practical limit, where the clamping pressure would vary. Might have to camber the jaws again to get equal pressure on all of the drive links.

Philbert

The company that originally invented the Vice-Grip was in Nebraska and went broke about three years ago. I have to believe that they would still have been in business had Philbert been around and showed them add-on tools and potential modifications like this.

I've used Vice-Grips for years and have three sizes. At one time or another, I have used them all. They often work when nothing else does. Bravo, Philbert!
Actually they didn't go broke per say. American tool the company the son of the inventor of the Vice-Grip Bill Peterson founded. American tool was sold to Rubbermaid/Irwin. Money is thicker than blood. The tools were still maid in DeWitt Nebraska until just after the son died in Lincoln Ne. Then as all too many companies do they moved the manufacturing out of the country and put a bunch of Midwest hardworking folks out of work. That is also when they vice-grip went from $20 to $5. http://www.irwin.com/about-us/irwin-history A lot of the flat style pliers Like the one Philbert used and welding jaws were the ideas of the local community collage class on industrial design. The company paid for design ideas the kids drew up in class. Just a little too late to cash in Philbert. Another fantastic all American company sold out to foreign interests.

Actually they didn't go broke per say. American tool the company the son of the inventor of the Vice-Grip Bill Peterson founded. American tool was sold to Rubbermaid/Irwin. Money is thicker than blood. The tools were still maid in DeWitt Nebraska until just after the son died in Lincoln Ne. Then as all too many companies do they moved the manufacturing out of the country and put a bunch of Midwest hardworking folks out of work. That is also when they vice-grip went from $20 to $5. http://www.irwin.com/about-us/irwin-history A lot of the flat style pliers Like the one Philbert used and welding jaws were the ideas of the local community collage class on industrial design. The company paid for design ideas the kids drew up in class. Just a little too late to cash in Philbert. Another fantastic all American company sold out to foreign interests.
Thanks for clarifying that, Greg. I had assumed that once the company left DeWitt that it was history. I guess only the jobs were history. This often devastates small towns. Rather amazing how the USA exports jobs and then imports people by the thousands.

The company that originally invented the Vice-Grip was in Nebraska . . .

Funny thing is that I tried to buy a cheap pair of imported Vise-Grip knockoffs just to try this idea, because I wasn't sure if it would work or not.

There are lots of cloned versions out there, in many different sizes and styles, sold under different brand names. But I could only find these sheet metal style pliers available in the genuine Vice-Grip brand.

Kept an eye out at garage sales for a while, then just broke down and bought a new one on sale.

Philbert

Phil!

Very neat idea indeed! I'm all for quick touching up of teeth in the field with a file, in which case very few metal filings are generated. Once you start reshaping chains, or filing rocked chains, the amount of filings piling up on the chain (and possibly finding their way into the guide bar) make me very nervous. Nothing will wreck a chain/bar/sprocket combo more quickly than a pile of metals filings!

When doing major filing, I like doing it "off bar", and then washing the chain off in paraffin to get rid of the filings. Your Vise-Grip improv is a great soluition for this!

Mike

Update and 'Bump'!

I tried to buy a cheap pair of imported Vise-Grip knockoffs just to try this idea . . . But I could only find these sheet metal style pliers available in the genuine Vice-Grip brand.
Finally found a 'knock off' version of these sheet metal Vice-Grips at HF for $9.99 before any discounts! Could be an $8 filing vise!

IMG_0411.jpg

Philbert

Back