Picked up a brand new MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all!

Just got a new MS260 this weekend. This time I asked the dealer not to gas it up and test it, as it makes me cringe to see it blowing full revs in the first few seconds of its life!

Never had an un-run saw before. Any hints welcomed. I was planning to idle a tank of gas through it before doing any cuts.

It feels goooooood! The balance is great with a 16" bar, I can pick it up anywhere on the handle and it doesn't turn over on me!

As soon as I can dig myself to my shed to get some gas, I'll test her out.

Dean :givebeer:

DeanBrown3D said:
Hi all!

Just got a new MS260 this weekend. This time I asked the dealer not to gas it up and test it, as it makes me cringe to see it blowing full revs in the first few seconds of its life!

Never had an un-run saw before. Any hints welcomed. I was planning to idle a tank of gas through it before doing any cuts.

It feels goooooood! The balance is great with a 16" bar, I can pick it up anywhere on the handle and it doesn't turn over on me!

Don't idle a tank though it.... Just use it without thrashing it for the first few tanks... Pulling power will do a lot more good then idling...

I idle big old saws that have partial rebuilds just to make sure something bad doesn't happen to the parts I didn't touch.

In manufacturers manuals it states that the max speed should be brought down a little for the first few tanks. I don't have a tach so I just tweak the high speed out another quarter from the standard setting. It sucks because the saw is underwhelming while you put time on it but supposedly it helps in the long run.

Congrats on your purchase.

Buck

I would have taken it back to the dealer to check the carb setting after you have run a couple of tanks trough it, to give it a smooth start.

Don't run it at partial throttle, doing so may create a lean condition.
Just make sure that it is under load when running it.

I have never heard of a saw that has been damaged by the short stint at WOT that is needed for the tech to set the carb right. OF course he should let the saw get warm before he do it.....

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Sadly I been too busy to take it out back and cut something big... It's comming...

Come on over to your neighbour's Thursday.....there's plenty of tree there.

Seriously, I hope you're home, so you can watch us do the tree...and laugh when the throw line gets stuck....hehee

I've had several brand new Stihl saws.
Just going on what my dealer told me..................
He said to run the saw full-tilt while cutting
He also has always adjusted the carb a bit on the rich side, and tolfd me to bring it back after 5 or 6 tanks of gas
Then he leans it out with a tach.
I guess that wuld be the break-in period
Good luck with your MS 260. I have one and love it. It goes along perfectly with my MS 460. What a pair of saws!

rbtree said:
Come on over to your neighbour's Thursday.....there's plenty of tree there.

Seriously, I hope you're home, so you can watch us do the tree...and laugh when the throw line gets stuck....hehee

I'm staying inside where it's warm... snow out here... :)

I should be home, might have to work in the AM. You can come over and throw a line on my tree too!

DeanBrown3D said:
Hi all!

I've been in the car business for over twenty years. My motto is my expierience: "Run her like a baby, she will always be a baby"

That does not mean abuse her, but for goodness sakes use her.

SawTroll said:
I would have taken it back to the dealer to check the carb setting after you have run a couple of tanks trough it, to give it a smooth start. that's what i did with mine. i am not as mechanically inclined as you guys are, and it was still under warranty. runs like a champ

Don't run it at partial throttle, doing so may create a lean condition.
Just make sure that it is under load when running it. this is surely good advice

I have never heard of a saw that has been damaged by the short stint at WOT that is needed for the tech to set the carb right. OF course he should let the saw get warm before he do it.....

mine is a ms260pro, and i love it....

Latest posts

Back