Pickeroons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robespierre

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tired of bending over to pick up splits. Is there any tool that would work as a pickeroon without paying pickeroon prices?

I had watched this youtube video and I wondered if this type of tool would pick up splits efficiently

I cut wood to save money so I don't want to buy a bunch of tools to do so. I also split everything by hand however it's my knees that are tired after a days work and that is due to bending over to pick up splits after chopping all day.

Council Tools has a good one for ~$30, with a poll suitable for driving wedges. Tip just needs a bit of pointifying- no biggie. Solid hickory handle.

Picked up this head somewhere cheap, then paid full retail at ACE hardware for a youth ax handle and mated them up for a very handy tool.
IMG_7930.JPG

IMG_7929.JPG

FWIW, The guy in the video demonstrated on an extremely small round that I might kick into a pile for fire pit, but would never bother picking up to split or stack anyway. However, I am nothing if not tolerant of everyone else's right to firewooding their own way.

Stay safe folks

I love my pickaroon. I have a 30" logrite. Works super well. I have one in the style of the council tools one also, which I like about half as much.

They're great for moving small log ends around and moving/standing up rounds. For picking up splits, though it's not very efficient, though that would change if your splits were larger than mine. If, however, efficiency is less important than not bending over, it may be perfect for you.

I believe there is a pickaroon and a hookaroon, used mainly at sawmills to handle green lumber.
A pulp hook is also useful in handling blocks of wood and short logs.

Piece of HSS planer blade, been good for a year so far, handy,,painted red now. Sure nice to get the big rounds out of the truck bed.
BBB
View attachment 552733 View attachment 552734

It is that 'hook' to the bit that makes a good tool into a great one. I won't look at a pickeroon dthat doesn't have that hook to the bit. My homemade one is just a piece of 1/2" all thread, sharpened to a point and the point beat over. Just reach out with the 8' handle, lay the head on a chunk and that hook bites right in when I pull.

mortar pick.

Pickraoons aren't a common tool over here, and consequently are very costly - Think i found a stihl one online for almost twice th cost of an X27. I saw the video above and searched for small pick axes and mattocks and found 'moortar picks' meant for raking mortar from brickwork before repointing. cost about £8-10. It works well enough, i did sharpen the point, and i would like a longer handle...keep meaning to get a 24-30" ash handle and fit it, but even short its better than bending and reaching with 2 hands and saves the back loads.

+ 1 on the hook, I also don't like a round handle on tools, I like em like an axe handle so as soon as you grab it you know where the working edge is.

Seems counterintuitive but I rarely have to look or check what the orientation is when I pick up the Logrite round handle. I like that over the other versions as it is lighter, has the weight out on the end where it needs to be and doesn't have a huge over-long point.

Seems counterintuitive but I rarely have to look or check what the orientation is when I pick up the Logrite round handle. I like that over the other versions as it is lighter, has the weight out on the end where it needs to be and doesn't have a huge over-long point.

Agreed. I do have to check which way the tip is pointing when I pick it up, but the other design features more than make up for that on the logrite. Weight is perfect, tip is very very good, and the handle is much easier to pull on than a wood handle. Don't get me wrong, I'm normally a wood handle kinda guy, but the logrite rubber grip just works for me. YMMV.

You can find them at Northern Michigan flea markets all the time here with out a handle of course. Some times a dealer will show up with axes and pickaroons with handles but mostly it is just the heads.

:D Al

Bought a Council Tool one, but didn't like the 'feel' and it was a bit head heavy for me, so I made one from an axe.
Better to just buy one, I think I have an hour or so making so it isn't a real dollar saver, but I like using it. Also like the wood handle so I can tell orientation. Tip needs some shaping and experimenting. Tough balance between easy penetration vs. holding vs. releasing.

For pulling rounds out of the trailer I use a garden weeder tool about 6 ft long. I heated and reshaped the 3 teeth

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
For pulling rounds out of the trailer I use a garden weeder tool about 6 ft long. I heated and reshaped the 3 teeth

I did the same, hoe, rake, weeding tool - all have the drawback of needing to get the 'teeth' behind teh chunk. Nothing works like a real hookeroon. I finally made my own 8' using a closet pole, a compression fitting for plumbing and a piece of 1/2" all thread for the hook. Works like a charm! I haven't crawled into the bed to unload since.

006-12.jpg

004.jpg

"Our company has manufactured Pickaroons for over 40 years. Our products are hand-made in northeastern Minnesota by a manufacturing team with over 25
years experience. We use 100% USA steel and lumber. We always stand by our product and feel we produce the best of its kind. Our Pickaroons are 100% made in the USA.
For more information regarding available sizes and purchasing, please visit our products page.
Thank you for visting Pickaroon.com, if you have any questions or comments please email us at [email protected]"

http://www.pickaroon.com/

Philbert

I like the 40" Hume head Pickaroon from Peavey manufacturing. I use two when moving rounds and splitting.The Pickaroon from Council looks interesting and well made as well. Here's a photo of one of mine, stuck in a round, from last Spring.
image.jpg

Back