Picking up my Jonsered CS2240 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth I've had two of those little saws (2036's, older,same thing)and they were both cold blooded little so and so's.But they were cutting little fools once they got going.Take your 250.00 check put another 50 bucks or so with it and go buy a Dolmar 420/421.Or since you are waiting for you money have your Jred dealer order a one with a standard tensioner.

Yes I have used & owned a number of saw, I do know how to run them, fixing and or tuning them is another story. As I said this is my first box store saw purchase as my one dealer only had the 2240 with the tool less tightener and my other dealer has a bunch of used saws but they haven't gone through them yet so only new is for sale there.

I took the 2240 back to Tractor Supply and the so called saw guy took it and tried to start it, he cranked & cranked & cranked and finally got it going, I said that's nothing now try to start it when its warm, he cranked and cranked again. He looked at me and said it is a bit hard to start isn't it. They did take it back but are mailing me a check ($249.00) as they didn't have that much cash on hand so they said. I will be receiving the check in 7-10 days now to find something else.

Well, at least they took it back and you can say goodbye to a saw that wasn't what you really needed.

Where in upstate NY are you? You might want to come to our GTG here on the 5th. You can see everything that's on the market along with just about anything that's been on the market for the last 40 years. :msp_biggrin:

Well, at least they took it back and you can say goodbye to a saw that wasn't what you really needed.

Where in upstate NY are you? You might want to come to our GTG here on the 5th. You can see everything that's on the market along with just about anything that's been on the market for the last 40 years. :msp_biggrin:
I live in St. Lawrence County about 12 miles south of Ogdensburg.

At least you got your money back. That's one good thing about a box store purchase. They probably would have taken it back just for saying you didn't like it. The folks at TSC seem to be pretty geared towards keeping the customer happy.

Don't feel bad about trying the 2240. I'm not familiar with that saw, but I bought a 2036 about 18 years ago when I first bought a farm with some land. When I grew up, all my grandpa had was an old Pioneer that was about 40-45cc, so we did everything with that saw. I was totally ignorant as to what a larger saw was like and didn't want to spend a lot of money. My brother came out once to help me with a big wind fall Oak. He had a big Dolmar at the time. I stood back and watched with a stupid look on my face. I felt like a fool with my little saw. Couldn't believe how easy he made it look. Not too long after that I bought a 2171. Words can hardly describe how blown away I was. Not long after that I won an MS250 at a fireman's raffle. With a muffler mod and a full chisel chain, it's a pretty nice saw. Now I use the 2036 for pruning work around the yard, just so I use it once in awhile.

Whatever saw you end up with, I would recommend staying away from the anti-kickback chain with the tiny cutters they sell in the box stores. The non-safety chains are more aggressive, won't get stuck as easy, and can be sharpened more.

I get asked this one simple question almost everyday:

"Why should I buy from you instead of the box store?"

Thank you for a prime example, I may just print this out for future use.
I too will not buy any big ticket items at big boxes or Menards for the same reasons. When there is a problem they have no repair parts and the purchaser\ owner is supposed to contact the factory for the fix. Not good if the problem is with a bathroom toilet in a one bathroom house!

Ray

I have a Jonsered CS2240 on layaway at Tractor Supply and am on my way out the door to pick it up. I recently sold my Stihl MS250 (good saw) because I had the itch to try something different. Our Church has a decent size dead oak tree that they want me to take down and cut up, it will be a good test for the little red rascal. Plan on going at the tree when I get home later today, will let you all know my thoughts of the 2240. Steve.
Hi there Im new but I bought a 2240 on ebay. Saws started showing up with the letter R on bottom. But word from dealers is that Husqvarna did that to avoid warranty when They phased out the jonsereds. You"ve all prob read that most from wildcats down south ebay. AQnyway back to subject at hand. For me starting lift choke lever then back
I meant that I didn't see a way to put it high idle for when starting it. Mac 6-10 explained how the high idle works & the proper way to start it.
Lift choke lever the red one to choke!! then click down but dont use throttle THIS PUTS ON FAST IDLE!! If saw is warm u dont need to prime it shud fire right up! Prob by now you already know. As far as clutch being weak yes big stuff not for this saw. I may see if 2245 clutch is 10mm shaft and fit without rubbing.
Huh? Isn't that the point.

Hi there Im new but I bought a 2240 on ebay. Saws started showing up with the letter R on bottom. But word from dealers is that Husqvarna did that to avoid warranty when They phased out the jonsereds. You"ve all prob read that most from wildcats down south ebay. Anyway back to subject at hand. For me starting lift choke lever then push down 1 click. And away you go. As far as setting carb its splined so you will need a set of carb tools. Mine I went 1/8 turn CCW for power in log. Saw is still new and for 40CCs feels like 55. Jonsered and husq tightened all their tolerences!!! The Autotune throttle works same way. But no adj is needed yet! Have WAY too many saws. All like new collecting dust. Had back surgery in 2012 Neuro missed the level that caused the prob.2252,2253,2255,2260.2166 Dolmar 6100 shindaiwa 600sx 24 and 20 in bars. Yes I went nuts kept hoping. When you lose your legs for walking its like a car with no tranny. Saws I bought before wildcats no R came in jonsered sealed boxes. Most Jonsereds are new condition with dust. I used VP 50:1 with a dash of stihl ultra too. Saws are in pristine condition if they are still in garage!!!!

Lift choke lever the red one to choke!! then click down but dont use throttle THIS PUTS ON FAST IDLE!! If saw is warm u dont need to prime it shud fire right up! Prob by now you already know. As far as clutch being weak yes big stuff not for this saw. I may see if 2245 clutch is 10mm shaft and fit without rubbing. Will let you know if I have any clutch probs with 2240 on about 10-12 in logs.

Latest posts

Back