Picking up my Jonsered CS2240 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure where to start here.

There's no more of a Jonsered/Husky guy than me, but the 2240 is hardly a step up from a MS250. A little smoother no doubt, but the 250 has more power. That little oreo cookie sized clutch just can't transfer any power when cutting a decent size oak such as you mention.

2245 would heve been a far better choice, and probably only another $30. As you are finding out, it's not all about the money. It's about thinking, "This is a nice saw" instead of "I don't think I like this thing".

Also, I find that all of these saws need to be adjusted when they come out of the box to run properly. I hear the RPM's increase as I'm opening up the hi speed on most of them. Again, you can save a few bucks at TSC or get a free case, but there is no one there to set up your saw properly.

Granted, I'm a dealer and my perspective is obvious, but you want a saw that's the right size for what you are doing and running the way it's supposed to. If you told me the "sold a MS250/big oak at the church" story, I wouldn't have let you buy a 2240. :msp_wink:

I'm not sure where to start here.

There's no more of a Jonsered/Husky guy than me, but the 2240 is hardly a step up from a MS250. A little smoother no doubt, but the 250 has more power. That little oreo cookie sized clutch just can't transfer any power when cutting a decent size oak such as you mention.

2245 would heve been a far better choice, and probably only another $30. As you are finding out, it's not all about the money. It's about thinking, "This is a nice saw" instead of "I don't think I like this thing".

Also, I find that all of these saws need to be adjusted when they come out of the box to run properly. I hear the RPM's increase as I'm opening up the hi speed on most of them. Again, you can save a few bucks at TSC or get a free case, but there is no one there to set up your saw properly.

Granted, I'm a dealer and my perspective is obvious, but you want a saw that's the right size for what you are doing and running the way it's supposed to. If you told me the "sold a MS250/big oak at the church" story, I wouldn't have let you buy a 2240. :msp_wink:

You are of course right, and my Husky dealer is reluctent to sell the 440/435 for basically the same reasons.:msp_wink:

I have a Jonsered CS2240 on layaway at Tractor Supply and am on my way out the door to pick it up. I recently sold my Stihl MS250 (good saw) because I had the itch to try something different. Our Church has a decent size dead oak tree that they want me to take down and cut up, it will be a good test for the little red rascal. Plan on going at the tree when I get home later today, will let you all know my thoughts of the 2240. Steve.

A 2240 and a big oak is a severe misfit - sorry to say so! :msp_wink:

A 2153 would have been a much better choice although not a great choice for "big oak" felling.
That's 70cc+ territory IMO
SkiWhiz, I understand the financial situation. But you need to stop buying homeowner grade plastic saws.
For the same amount of money, you could've purchased a used pro saw.

I get asked this one simple question almost everyday:

"Why should I buy from you instead of the box store?"

Thank you for a prime example, I may just print this out for future use.

I get asked this one simple question almost everyday:

"Why should I buy from you instead of the box store?"

Thank you for a prime example, I may just print this out for future use.
Feel free to do so, I know that I should of saved up and bought from the couple dealers that I have in the past. First time buying from a box store and probably last. Live & learn I guess.

A 2153 would have been a much better choice although not a great choice for "big oak" felling.
That's 70cc+ territory IMO
SkiWhiz, I understand the financial situation. But you need to stop buying homeowner grade plastic saws.
For the same amount of money, you could've purchased a used pro saw.
You are right, lesson learned.

Feel free to do so, I know that I should of saved up and bought from the couple dealers that I have in the past. First time buying from a box store and probably last. Live & learn I guess.

Learning is the key part. Most people don't do that.

And please don't take my post the wrong way, I'm not here to imply fault or be demeaning in any way - this is just truly a great example for others to learn from. I'm also genuinely interested in seeing this issue get taken care of. Other members are right, it's not really the right saw for what you are trying to do with it, but it is still a good saw. Once it's tuned properly I think you will agree.

But Tom it was on sale for $249. :msp_wink: To bad he hasnt got a clue how to tune the saw after buying it or even knew about the fast idle. Really. :buttkick:

Thats what you pay the extra at a dealer for service and set up IMO. If you havent got a clue about chainsaws, go to a dealer. Why oh why think it will be set up right out of the box :msp_sad:...................:D

You sound a little like me, maybe too frugal for your own good. Time you start working on your own saws and start shopping used. I ran Craftsman saws for a long time before breaking down and getting "homeowner" Stihl's. Now I'm more of a Husky/Dolmar guy, you can fix a Stihl and get good money for it used if you're lucky enough to find one at a reasonable price and don't mind their dealers.

But Tom it was on sale for $249. :msp_wink: To bad he hasnt got a clue how to tune the saw after buying it or even knew about the fast idle. Really. :buttkick:

Thats what you pay the extra at a dealer for service and set up IMO. If you havent got a clue about chainsaws, go to a dealer. Why oh why think it will be set up right out of the box :msp_sad:...................:D

It's the eighth or more chainsaw he's owned. I think he should know enough about chainsaws already. I've owned many saws too, but I stihl buy from the local dealer.

It's the eighth or more chainsaw he's owned. I think he should know enough about chainsaws already. I've owned many saws too, but I stihl buy from the local dealer.
Yes I have used & owned a number of saw, I do know how to run them, fixing and or tuning them is another story. As I said this is my first box store saw purchase as my one dealer only had the 2240 with the tool less tightener and my other dealer has a bunch of used saws but they haven't gone through them yet so only new is for sale there.

I took the 2240 back to Tractor Supply and the so called saw guy took it and tried to start it, he cranked & cranked & cranked and finally got it going, I said that's nothing now try to start it when its warm, he cranked and cranked again. He looked at me and said it is a bit hard to start isn't it. They did take it back but are mailing me a check ($249.00) as they didn't have that much cash on hand so they said. I will be receiving the check in 7-10 days now to find something else.

I've yet to find a J'red ready to go out of the box. Every one has needed adjustment, usually more than once, when new. Once they get a few tanks through them, they tend to be fine. It's a Husky thing, I guess.

Latest posts

Back