pickup bed side boards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
ok i built some for my ram 2500 their 17 3/4 high from the top of the bed. now my question is do anf of you guys put up boards across the back window or across the back of the bed in front of the tailgate. i was thinking of doing that to create a giant box. also no one would be able to see what i had in there. i got the wood leftover to do it im just unsure if i should or not, thanks, Mike

i used 2x4s for the posts and 3/4 plywood for the sides

Do you have a headache rack on the truck? If not, I would say yes, put something between the payload and the rear window. It's just a matter of when, not if, you end up replacing your window if you don't. Front and back help keep the sides from trying to bulge out too.

Ian

Yes, as Haywire stated definitely go with the window saver unless you have a headache rack that has expanded metal or you will likely (as in very likely) lose your back window at some point.

Also, a piece across the back would give some confidence that you would not lose pieces off the back of your truck.

... this has served to remind me that I have to get my hands on some more expanded metal to complete my wood rack. Currently I have a boat rack that allows me to stack logs in the back of my truck to just above cab height, but I need to box it up with expanded metal so that I can haul blocks without having them fall out.

Thanks guys, i dont have a headache rack. just after i posted it i said what the hell. i ran out and cut some more 3/4 plywood for the front and back. is there a better method to make it removable than drywall screws? i set it up so the wood is on the inside of the 2x4 if that makes sense to you. i mean as in if the front and rear pieces i made were to be pushed put they would have to go "through" the 2x4 to come off the truck. instead of just saw screws ripping out of the wood. hope i explained it right.

also what is expanded metal?

Thanks guys, i dont have a headache rack. just after i posted it i said what the hell. i ran out and cut some more 3/4 plywood for the front and back. is there a better method to make it removable than drywall screws? i set it up so the wood is on the inside of the 2x4 if that makes sense to you. i mean as in if the front and rear pieces i made were to be pushed put they would have to go "through" the 2x4 to come off the truck. instead of just saw screws ripping out of the wood. hope i explained it right.

also what is expanded metal?

When I wanted a removable (wooden) tailgate for one of my trailers, I cut up an old bed frame and screwed it to the backs of the trailer box to make notches. Then I cut out some plywood, reinforced it with 2x4s, and slid it into the notches - instant "tailgate" that was easy to remove.

Expanded metal:

expandedMetal.jpg

PS .... yes, your explanation makes sense and is a good way to reduce the risk of your firewood pushing the plywood out.

Last edited:
Then put an eye bolt on each side near the end, light chain across, and a turnbuckle to take the loads trying to push the sides out. Even dog chain is strong enough.

Look up some old grain wagons or farm trucks-done that way for decades. Not fancy but keeps the end gates from popping out. Grain boxes ran one across half way back front to rear also, porbaly can't do that with firewood though.

k

Then put an eye bolt on each side near the end, light chain across, and a turnbuckle to take the loads trying to push the sides out. Even dog chain is strong enough.

Look up some old grain wagons or farm trucks-done that way for decades. Not fancy but keeps the end gates from popping out. Grain boxes ran one across half way back front to rear also, porbaly can't do that with firewood though.

k

Oops!

I forgot about that part! My trailer sides were built off of 2x4 in stake pockets, so I had to do the eye-bolt thing as well to prevent the sides from sagging outwards. If you connected your wood hauling box across the top this may not be necessary, but my trailer was open. After bolting on the eye-bolts I just used a quick link on one end, and a chain snap on the other for quick hooking and unhooking.

Just an addition I didnt' see mentioned. On the front panel, you should cut out a "window" so you can see into the bed from the cab. cover it with expanded mesh, grating, etc.

My racks are 1x4 boards vice solid and the front is bolted to the sides - don't need to be _quick_ removable as they never come offs (I think I took it off once since I built it).
I'll get a pic tomorrow.

Harry K

My racks: I built a tailgate for it but have never used it. Didn't even get around to making the slide in mount for it.

003-1.jpg

A word on the stakes.

I found a very tight grain fir 2x6 and ripped it in half for the stakes. they look a bit flimsy but a bit of reflection show that they aren't. The strength of a stake depends on the size of the pocket. If a stake ever braeks, it will do so right at the top of the stake pocket. Thus any part of the stake larger than that is not needed and contribuites nothing...well, a full 2x4 does make it look stronger.

As you can see these racks are old. I had planned to replace them during last winter but somehow didn't get around to it, maybe next winter.

Harry K

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back