Pics from this weekend.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I'll just put a couple up here, there are more for you to look at at: http://stevenwwipics.shutterfly.com/

First pic is the hill coming out of the woods, it can be a bit tricky, but I haven't had to slap chains on the tractor yet this year.
attachment.php

Next is a shot of the wood I dragged out this weekend, as you can see by the snowdrift, the birch and the big log have been there a while.
attachment.php

And of course an "after" shot. The big log is patiently waiting for me to get that new 7900 :chainsawguy:
attachment.php

Blocking and splitting took roughly 2 1/2 hours, guessing close to a cord, but I can't tell real well by looking at 8-10 small piles.

One last shot: (a little bit of humor, explanation below)
attachment.php

Gotta have enough power for the job :D Actually, the trailer got stranded out there last week, when it was 30*, 700 4X4 ATV just couldn't get it up the hill out of the woods, so I left it behind. I could have pulled it out easy with the ATV in this weather, but I had the tractor there already, so I just hooked up and went, and of course looking so goofy I couldn't resist snapping a picture.

Steve

Last edited:
I think we are having a little technical difficulty!

Please stay tuned to you local station for future updates with this problem.

Glenn

PS: Give it a another try Steve.

Minor technical difficulties, not getting the images from shutterfly for some reason.

I uploaded them here and put them in the text, that seems to have fixed it.

Nice pics. That flatland has to get cold when the wind picks up.
I like the tractor, and getting around without chains in the winter is a mystery to me, my Ford 3400 with fluid filled tires would just sit and spin trying to get up that hill. Even with chains I get stuck to where I have use the bucket to push out.

Great pics, before I read it I was going to tell you that you need a bigger trailer or a smaller tractor :hmm3grin2orange:

Is this more like it? Got everything loaded and hauled home today, tomorrow will have to stack it up :( Woodchuck, for its size (65HP) the Massey is a heavy beast, 9700# with loader on and fluid filled tires. The tires are also still about 90% tread yet, that helps too

Trailer is 9x14 with 12" sides, a load like this is probably about a cord and a half. Tires are 9.00x20, on a 10-lug axle with no suspension. Purely a farm trailer, seldom sees the road and when it does it is at low speed (under 25mph).

attachment.php

First pic is the hill coming out of the woods, it can be a bit tricky, but I haven't had to slap chains on the tractor yet this year.
attachment.php

Gotta have enough power for the job :D Actually, the trailer got stranded out there last week, when it was 30*, 700 4X4 ATV just couldn't get it up the hill out of the woods, so I left it behind. I could have pulled it out easy with the ATV in this weather, but I had the tractor there already, so I just hooked up and went, and of course looking so goofy I couldn't resist snapping a picture.

Steve

That ole Massey is a great tractor. That gal should be able to go thru @1 1/2 feet of snow pulling that trailer. That pic looks like fun.....LOL.

Nice pics. That flatland has to get cold when the wind picks up.
I like the tractor, and getting around without chains in the winter is a mystery to me, my Ford 3400 with fluid filled tires would just sit and spin trying to get up that hill. Even with chains I get stuck to where I have use the bucket to push out.

i know what you mean
Ive got a farmall 400, and if there is anything in the bucket i have a hard time getting around on flat ground without chains.

My little 3400 is only #7,000 with loader and filled tires.

Do you have someone on the trailer to hand the ones in the center to you, or all the work solo?

My little 3400 is only #7,000 with loader and filled tires.

Do you have someone on the trailer to hand the ones in the center to you, or all the work solo?

Are you volunteering? There is usually someone up there if I get a bunch of friends over on a weekend, but most of the time it's unload what I can reach on one side, turn around, repeat the process, then stack all the middle stuff on the edge and finish it. Just one more opportunity to be warmed by the wood :D

sawaddict, I also have a narrow front M farmall, even with newer rubber and fluid, making 3 sets of tracks with no differential lock can be a bit much to ask. I have some steep hills on the trail out to the woods also, I will usually clear them off with the loader when the snow gets deep, but I don't plow the whole lane (close to a 1/2 mile of field driveway takes a looong time with the bucket).

Thanks for all the comments and the nifty little colored dots guys!

Steve

Latest posts

Back