Pics of a little work from a freshly finished 395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
just a few pics of a saw that i finished rebuilding today. new crank bearings, seals, crankcase gasket, honed cylinder, new rings, installed with Permatex ultragrey, new clutch and drum. saw was completely disassembled and soaked in purple cleaner and came out looking good.

well i got the saw done and needed some test wood.......so i went and cut down some trees!!!

and now for the pics, they were taken where i grew up, own 20 acres pretty much out in BFE!!

GF was sitting in the truck taking the pics(it was about 32 degrees and had been snowing off and on with a pretty good wind 15-20mph): I got a keeper with this one...she loves watching me run saws....i can't keep her off of me after i take her to the woods:)

my 10 month old Great Dane pup just couldn't get enough of my running the saw. (he must be a Husky fan.....gonna have to train him better:cheers: ) had to have the GF call him over to the truck because he was watching from where the tree was wanting to fall(gonna have to teach him some safety tips i suppose:hmm3grin2orange: )

cut this tree just to get it out of the way so i could cut the bigger one behind it. cut it up high above some barb wire(face cut, backbar back cut-nothing special)
jh020.jpg

jh021.jpg

jh022.jpg

TIMBER!! really pissed off a squirell with this one!!that little nest up there was his home...he came running out and looked a lil' disgruntled!
jh024.jpg

jh025.jpg

Last edited:
Nice

Dude that rocks... We loveeeeee Dane's and our american Bulldog too... I'd like to see a vid of your saw in action bro...

:cheers: eh?

this saw i kept stock except for the assembly with out base gasket. and it was rippin threw these rounds. it was about 14" at the very most top, and the bulk of these pics the wood was 22-24" and that was 30-35 ft up, it was around 32" at the stump with little taper. i built another saw last weekend and i lightened up the piston and removed some of the casting flaws and it was a screamer!!

I doubt that i will get any vids of this saw because im prolly gonna be getting it back to the guy that i built it for before i get to run it again. i'll get some vids sometime tho

btw the wood is water oak(Pin oak)

Nice work. That's a lot of wood, perfect for a 395 to just plow right through.

Mark

and it did. guys ask me all the time y i want to run a big saw..."cuz it don't take as long!!" i dropped both the trees, topped them and started bucking the bigger one(there is about 20' of already bucked up tree that you can't see in the pic) and it didn't even take a tank of guess and im guessing the total time to be around maybe 15 mins...prolly not that long. the only bars that i had to fit a husky was a 20" so that is what the saw had on it...typically wears a 24". so there was alot of saw for the bar!!

Is my computer just slow or did it look like sILlogger pulled that Husky about thirty time to get it running.....j/k :cheers: :cheers:

ha ha...nah that is just me performing the infamous "drop start"...saw came right to life. i can't complain..ive had some really good luck rebuilding these last few 395's that ive done. easy tuning, strong running, (they start pretty good too!!) i might run stihls but for a stock saw i do like those 395's!!:cheers:

Last edited:
Really nice,,,,, Good GF for taking the action falling pix!!!! :clap:

The saw sounds like it rocks!!!!!!! :clap:

Nice Dog also,,,,, was that an aftermarket P/C or OEM?????:greenchainsaw:

Did ya mod his muffler????? :cheers:

these were used P&C's. this guy is a long time logger: parts saw werehouse!!!! I love going over there just to pick through all the spare parts,...66's 395's...im still hunting for the 056's that he keeps talking about.. mufflers stayed stock...i'm trying to come up with a good mod for these 395 mufflers...just havent' found one that i like yet...but im around these saws all the time so once i come up with something good i'll just take the saw and do it!

a close up of the dog...he's a camera magnet!! he's 10 months and im guessing him to be 120-125 lbs, and is prolly around 3' at the back
jh023.jpg

Last edited:
nice

Very nice SI! Nice pics, dog, saw, wood, job! I am looking for a used 395, my dealer said he has a couple 395, 394, and 2100 and I think he has me hooked now!!! lol I'm prolly gonna buy the 395, and 2100 off him.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers: :clap: :)

those 395's really are good saws...there are a few things i don't like about them but all in all they are good. i will say this that after running my 66/660 they feel cumbersome. i'd really like to run one that is modded...i bet they would flat out rip!!

Last edited:
nah the dane(male) is more of a yard/house/protection-first line of defense(before the guns)/lap(so he thinks). i dunno what i'd use a dane for hunting in S IL.. maybe coyotes or deer...and then i wouldn't even need a gun!!

as for the chaps...they were in the truck..i haven't been wearing chaps for the last few years of logging...I KNOW I KNOW...not the best idea..but i can't find a pair that im comfortable in..but i heard about the labonville chaps that you wear under your pants and im gonna give them a try

HA HA! Mow you beat me to it...ive got a brand new pair of Husky full wrap chaps...the only thing they have been used for was folded up and used for a loader seat!!

Last edited:
395's

those 395's really are good saws...there are a few things i don't like about them but all in all they are good. i will say this that after running my 66/660 they feel cumbersome. i'd really like to run one that is modded...i bet they would flat out rip!!

I ran my buddie's 2094 the other day and I think it got me addicted. They do rip, that's for sure. He sometimes runs a 20" bar on it, it just laughs at it. He normally runs a 24 on it. I'm gonna mod mine after I see if it needs rebuilt or not. Who knows I might buy the 394 too.....uh oh! I'm worse than I thaught! lolol:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers:

Si, you guy's been cutting? We have, we finished up a couple jobs while the weather was warm. Cleaned up around the landings yesterday, that's about it. There's still mud, 4ft deep in places. I still got that 60 acre job to do yet, hopefully I'll get started on that soon. Might have to wait till spring since it's on a low-land type deal though.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back