pics of my new saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockbill

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i picked up my new saw today,,,my buddy found it and thought i could clean it up and get it running,,, its a 3.7/17" bar,,, i'm pretty sure its made by roper, but other than that i can't find any info on it,,, anybody got the tune up specs for it? i found some cut away pics of it on teh sears parts direct site,, but no parts seem to be available,,, so any info will be appreciated,,,
thanks in advance...

Looks like it will clean-up pretty good. Sand the bar with sand paper, go lengthwise with the bar. Start out with 150 and go to 320 or finer to get a polished look.
Scott

yep,, i think it will clean up pretty easily also,,, it seems to have good compression, and teh chain is hardly warn, i haven't tried to turn it over yet, i want to clean it up a little, and check the piston and fuel system first,, i did take teh air cleaner cover off & it has a tillotson carb...

Since it says "Solid State",there probably isn't much tune up to it,it either works or doesn't.You can pull the carb needles(one at a time so they don't get mixed up) and spritz some carb cleaner in the holes.Then lightly seat the needles and open the low about 1 1/2 turns and the high about 1 turn open.Looks like it has the de-comp, so pull the trigger and press the black button on top of the grip down and pull it to the rear to open the de-comp and set the fast idle.Spritz a little mix into the carb,put it on full choke and fire it up.If it fires up and keeps running you will need to fine tune the screws after it warms up.

Last edited:
She looks good. I hope it's a good runner for you.

Before I did anything, I would take off the muffler and look for scoring on the Piston.

first off, thanks for the replies,,, i read thru every thread that said craftsman roper and still have questions!!

as far as the tune up... it has a tillotson carb, and i can't figure out which kit it would use, there are a few different tillotson/roper kits available, and i can't see any identifying marks on the carb,,,,also, it only has one screw,, is that hi or lo? the tank is clean & dry, and the fuel filter & line seem ok,,, it has a bosch plug in it, and it looks like it was burning clean the last time it was running, so i'm guessing its the right plug for the saw... it gets good spark, and has a lot of compression so it should run...needs a new rim sprocket, tho...

yep,, it cleaned up pretty good,, its going to be a firewood saw, so i just want it to be reliable,,,,,,, i did take teh muffler off, and teh piston and cylinder look great, it has a domed top piston, so thats probably why it has so much compression,,, if it stops raining, i'll try to start it tomorrow.. just wanted to see if i could find an ipl, and carb kit for it just in case......

The carb should have the model number stamped on it, on the intake flange usually.
Didn't the searspartsdirect site have the IPL.If it did,right click on it and select "Save image as" and save it to the folder of your choice.

Last edited:
i'll check the carb again,,, may have to remove it to see the number,,,, i copied the sears ipl, it has the pictures, but the listing of teh parts takes up many pages, as its not just a list, but the order forms,, and nothing is available,,, there is no breakdown of the carb either,,, i wonder if mike acres accepts additions to his website,, i may be able to offer this one to him after i figure it all out...
thanks again for your help,,,

good old saw if you can get it running,im thinking it was my second saw in the 80's early 90's mine the gas tank leaked would jb weld it and it would hold for about three months then you would have to fix it again other than that i never had any problems with it ,,i cut a lot of wood with mine

well,, it started up on 4 pulls,,, idled, and ran real strong,, i adjusted the idle speed,, and ran a tank thru it,,, i don't know exactly what that #32 chain is, but i touched it up with the new file,, and it throws some big chips,,, i cut about 10 blocks of oak,, and i'd say it will go in teh rotation,,,,
again,, thanks to everyone who sent some info...

If you ever have to break this saw down, you'll find that it's one of the hardest saws to work on. Just removing the carb can be a chore. Then getting to the reed block bolts. Uhg. This is the same saw my bro let fall out of the back of his truck and I had to totally disassemble to repair. Never again. I will say that they're built like a tank though.

i think i saw your post about that in my searches, thats why i didn't want to take teh carb off to get the #'s,,, doesn't look like its built for quick servicing...however, unless i back the truck over it, i think it will out last me!!!! it looks nice sitting next to teh 2.3/craftsman (s25),, both from the 70's....

well,, it started up on 4 pulls,,, idled, and ran real strong,, i adjusted the idle speed,, and ran a tank thru it,,, i don't know exactly what that #32 chain is, but i touched it up with the new file,, and it throws some big chips,,, i cut about 10 blocks of oak,, and i'd say it will go in teh rotation,,,,
again,, thanks to everyone who sent some info...

Congratulations,you have completed the requirements needed to pass to the next level of CAD.Feel free to start looking for your next "project".

Craftsman (Roper) 3.7

I just got a saw that is almost identical to this one. The model number is #917.353710. It does not have the manual oiler - there is just a plug in the hole to block it off. The carb is also Tillotson with only one needle for idle adjustment (model #HS 143A).
I inspected it and cleaned it up. All seems to be good except there is no spark. The coil is really dirty with lots of oily wood debris, so it needs to be cleaned up. What is the recommended cleaning for a coil?
Thanks

Back