Pics of the wood pile to be split.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I never did get any last pics of the wood pile before we started splitting on it this past weekend. We had a splitting party on Saturday with USMC and his wife and baby, as well as my wife and three kids and also my parents. My old man ran the splitter since he has a gimpy foot and Justin and I split and the girls and kids stacked.

I would say we got about a 1/4 of the pile split so far. Dad and I split some more on Sunday. So far we have 3 4' x 8' skids stacked over 5' high. A 6' x 16' trailer load of splits to stack and a pile of splits where the splitter was that needs to be hauled over to the stack pile.

Here are a few pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Do I see some ash in that pile? Nice stuff.

That splitter is interesting, too. What sort of beast is that?

It is a tow behind. Can be used vertical or horizontal but it is more at an angle when it is horizontal.

The model on it is LumberJack. It has a 9hp Honda on it. That is about all I know on it. I borrowed it from work.

Nice pile. I like the cutting part, but the splitting and stacking is too much like work. I've got an awful lot of that coming up in the next few weeks myself. It would be cool if that super splitter came over from Jersey. Depending where in Jersey, not that long of a drive.

hey you guys are probubly close to me, (upper york pa) do you have a decent wood supply? always on the lookout:)

Most of our stuff came from Lancaster area. Would be nice to find a place right in the backyard but I haven't gotten that lucky yet.

Hat's off to you guys. Quite a bit more work dealing with the really big, heavy stuff. Also like the fact that you are planning ahead for your future needs. Most people, myself included, spend the time getting the house ready to heat with wood and then scramble to find enough to get through the winter. In a lot of situations, I believe, families buying outdoor boilers will still use their units with really green wood for the first few years (or forever, for that matter) giving OWB's a worse name than they deserve.

I don't quite understand how the "rep" stuff works on the forum, but if I had it to give, I would! Nice work.

Most of our stuff came from Lancaster area. Would be nice to find a place right in the backyard but I haven't gotten that lucky yet.

The neighbor across from my parents is clearing 10 acres this winter. He is not sure how it is being cleared but if he can get a logger to do it then i get the tops and culls. If not then all of it i guess.
It's right up the road from you too. :givebeer:

The neighbor across from my parents is clearing 10 acres this winter. He is not sure how it is being cleared but if he can get a logger to do it then i get the tops and culls. If not then all of it i guess.
It's right up the road from you too. :givebeer:

Keep us updated. Harrisburg is a lot closer to me then Lancaster. I am just south of Dillsburg.

Is that an offer to come over and show us that it can be done in that time frame by the SS? I got the beer covered LOL

It was all live and is for next year. I am not ready to burn at our place. We are going to be getting an outside wood burner in the spring. USMC already has his wood for this year so his share will be for next year as well :cheers:

And, as I said, would add to your rep if I could...well, with a little help from Mark, there ya go.

Back