Picture request for parts of you guy's splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Genius.
G

Genius.

I am needing to do some retro fitting on my splitter. I have a engine with a taper shaft, I got a adapter made up to slip on the taper shaft that went to 1" shaft so I could drive the Love Joy coupler on to run my pump.

My problem, my pump and engine are not perfectly aligned so I am getting some awful vibrations. I wish there was a mount that I could mount the pump to the motor, but the taper shaft is to long for the normal mount that most of you guy's probably have.

At first I was going to throw another engine on, but seeing this engine only has 53 hour's on it, I am thinking I don't want to get rid of it. (It came off a Generator which died)

I think my easyest way to run the pump will be to run it by a belt.

I would like to see some of you guy's set ups with pumps that are powered with a belt, especially what you use to tension everythig up.

Also, part 2.....

Is the metal on the inside of a ram real hard? What type of drill bit will be my best bet to drill through a 2 1/2" shaft???

triptester

triptester

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Part 1, most 2-stage pumps have bearings that are not designed for the side load of a belt drive.

Part 2, the outside of the shaft is hardened but the inside is soft. Grind a flat spot where you want to drill about an 1/8" deep than use a high speed bit.

Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
triptester is right about the side load on the pump

That said, you can mount a sheave or preferably a double sheave on a 1 inch jackshaft between two pillow blocks or flange mount bearings. Then just couple one end of the jackshaft to the pump input.

May take a little welding and fab work but you'll end up with a really strong and easy to maintain setup without much money. Check around on some power transmission websites or WW Grainger, they'll have everything you need. Heck TSC or Northern should also have most if not all. While on the PT websites check the belt drive ratings, pretty sure you'll need or be close to needing a dual belt drive set up for best performance.

Take Care

loadthestove

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Just cut the shaft off to the length you need.I have a kubota zx 600 series engine(14 hp twin) on my splitter.I cut about 4 inches off the output shaft to get the length I needed.I used a couple of good hacksaw blades with the engine idling,it didnt take long to get it done.