Pine is for suckas!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, there's a lot to like about pine. I've always got a few pieces of oak laying around for when I want a fire to burn later into the night, but pine trees usually stand straight enough to where they aren't too much of a headache to put on the ground, it cuts up and handles nicely, splits pretty easy, seasons quickly and I think it burns just fine and smells great. It burns quicker than oak and a lot of boutique firewoods but the way I see it, the quicker it burns, the more I've got to burn, which means the more I've got to cut and process, which might be one of my favorite and most stress relieving activities.

Well, just for science sake, I conducted a little experiment. After hurricane Sandy I had a ton of spruce and white pine to deal with. I figured we'll dry it out and burn it to see what happens. Got everything split and stacked on pallets for at least a year of dry time since my property doesn't get the best wind exposure. Guess what? My house is still standing. My family has been warm. I even had the guy that sweeps 3 of my neighbors chimneys take a look at it. All the homes in the development are of similar size. All the others buy premium oak from the same seller. Chimney sweep said mine was the cleanest of the 4. Verdict, yeah I'll take all the pine people are trying to get rid of here in the northeast!

Pine is fine !! Most of the people out west burn pine, heck oak is not really available out there. People in my area will not buy it so I rarely process any unless it's for my own use. A year split and dried it's good stuff. Some people want it for fire pits at a discount but it all takes the same amount of labor so I don't sell it. I'm not big on giving discounts anymore, firewood is too much work to give it away.

Pine is fine !! Most of the people out west burn pine, heck oak is not really available out there. People in my area will not buy it so I rarely process any unless it's for my own use. A year split and dried it's good stuff. Some people want it for fire pits at a discount but it all takes the same amount of labor so I don't sell it. I'm not big on giving discounts anymore, firewood is too much work to give it away.
Yep, same as folks asking for a discount for green wood. Nope, takes the same amount of time and labor. I already have it stacked, as I split, so green wood is actually a bit more work, because it's still wet and heavier, Joe.

Wait, what? Oak is the primary wood people burn in CA. http://stocktontrees.org/oak_trees.html

Oops, I thought Jerry Brown became President of California and California was not part of the USA anymore, I was thinking about Colorado and the Rocky Mountains when I said out west, I think they burn mostly pine from what I have heard.

Well, just for science sake, I conducted a little experiment. After hurricane Sandy I had a ton of spruce and white pine to deal with. I figured we'll dry it out and burn it to see what happens. Got everything split and stacked on pallets for at least a year of dry time since my property doesn't get the best wind exposure. Guess what? My house is still standing. My family has been warm. I even had the guy that sweeps 3 of my neighbors chimneys take a look at it. All the homes in the development are of similar size. All the others buy premium oak from the same seller. Chimney sweep said mine was the cleanest of the 4. Verdict, yeah I'll take all the pine people are trying to get rid of here in the northeast!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Pine. I have at least 50 years of experience with it. I burn what ever I have. A good brisk fire will keep the chimney as clean as anything else. There is also soot removers that can keep metal chimneys clean. The slow burning of Oak or other hard wood can cause a build up residue that is more difficult to remove. As with all woods Pine must be seasoned and dry. Thanks

I have been selling Mountain Oak ( white Oak ), Live Oak and some black Oak in California for 40 years and never had a problem getting it. In general Oak is more difficult to get, harder to handle and split, heavier to haul, and and more scarce. Consequently it is twice as expensive as Pine. I have also sold Walnut, Olive, Citrus, Avocado, Almond, and Peach which are all pretty good. This year I scored a project near the high desert that had about 60 live Oak trees that have been dying for the last 10 years. So was able to deliver Oak to all my regular customers and still have about 30 cords of Oak extra. So this year I need some decent Pine. However summer or winter good years bad years Oak is always the wood that sells. Thanks

He lives more towards Buyck/Crane Lake but over the years he flipped some land to acquire more. I think he got this piece when he sold a beautiful 80+ just outside Cotton that ran along the whiteface river. I had a fantastic deer stand that looked down at the river and was nestled in some pines. Probably my favorite place in the world.
great for bear hunting also...

We sell a fair bit of poplar. I just delivered a cord a few mins ago actually. We heat the shop on it as well. Keeps ~5000 sq ft heated.
heating my home and garage/workshop this winter totally with popple from the last 2 years storms. the firewood market here is flooded with junk wood so cheap its about "penny worthless"

great for bear hunting also...

Some of the best in the state! For 3 years I chased a brown tinted boar. He was always one step ahead of me or the shot wasn't right. My uncle could have got him a few times over the years but knew I wanted him so he walked him. Never did get him and he was never registered close.

Some of the best in the state! For 3 years I chased a brown tinted boar. He was always one step ahead of me or the shot wasn't right. My uncle could have got him a few times over the years but knew I wanted him so he walked him. Never did get him and he was never registered close.
another season coming fast ! may will be here right after april shower's??

Oops, I thought Jerry Brown became President of California and California was not part of the USA anymore, I was thinking about Colorado and the Rocky Mountains when I said out west, I think they burn mostly pine from what I have heard.

Ahh, ok. Funny, I think of Colorado and the Rockies as being back east. It's so far to CO that I've never even been there. Just shows how big the country is. I've got 3 different kinds of oak, pine, spruce, maple, and almond split at the house for firewood.

Is almond wood good for much other than burning? Is it a hardwood or softer? It seems some nut and fruit wood is good for cooking or smoking while others are not. Never heard much talk about almond wood at all

Latest posts

Back