Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you made the right choice with skipping the muffler grille. That seems to be the weakest point on all saws that have them - I'm especially thinking of the Stihl 041 and 051/076 - and IMO they don't do much for the aesthetics OR protection of the saw. An impact that would totally destroy the magnesium grille probably wouldn't even leave a dent in those old mufflers - they're pretty heavily built.

P61

Ed, what a phenomenal improvement! Your P61 is something to be proud of. You'll have to let me know where you found that cover, I might have to do the same thing. I've never seen a muffler with an exit angle like that. It's nearly straight down. It looks mean but you'll have to be careful about setting it down in the dirt, it'll kick up all kinds of dust!
Ed, the oiler button is still available NOS. Let me know if you are going to order one. The button on my P62 is broken, too.
Also, the rear screw that goes into your AV mount can be replaced with one of those big panhead screws. P.M. me if you don't have one and want to change it.
Brendon.

A few more pics!

I put the western spikes, a full wrap (thanks Brendon) and a 28" bar on it today. Im not keeping this on it, I want to keep it original. This stuff will be on my P60 work saw build. I just wanted to see how it would look, I like it! Brendon, you mentioned the lower a/v mount screw, this has a stud and a rubber sleeve over it. This is my only saw that has this. It looks oem Pioneer. I could be way off, but the only purpose I can see is to protect the hand guard or hand better if the chain should jump off and fly back, it extends out even with the inside of the muffler. Does anyone know for sure?

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

Usually that was a stud. The back of the chainguard would go on there and a nut would hold the back of the chainguard. It was used with the P61 guard that covered the muffler.

Great pics, Ed, it looks mean!
Pioneerman has it right, it's the rear mount for that old cover. In fact, My P61 is missing that part and I'd gladly trade it for a panhead screw for your saw.

The full-wrap handle you have is for a saw without chainbrake. I think you'll have a devil of a time removing your clutch cover with that handle on it.

Brendon.

I never thought of the old clutch cover. That piece of the cover was missing when I got it. I could not figure it out, Thanks Guys.

The full-wrap handle you have is for a saw without chainbrake. I think you'll have a devil of a time removing your clutch cover with that handle on it.

Brendon.

I know, but it's the prettiest one I have. LOL... Brendon, that stud is yours.

Last edited:
P61

Ed, those dogs on the P61 look like they could eat a fella,kinda like shark's teeth.Are those original? They really make that saw look mean!
Lawrence

Ed, those dogs on the P61 look like they could eat a fella,kinda like shark's teeth.Are those original? They really make that saw look mean!
Lawrence

Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, they are original Pioneer Western dogs. They are on the P51 through P65 Westerns. The saw is not originally a Western version. I am going to reinstall the original dogs and half wrap and the 20" bar in the earlier pics is original Pioneer bar. I just wanted to see how it would look dressed in Western apparel. :hmm3grin2orange: I'm building a P60 that I will use these items on, it will be my workhorse saw.

Just so you guys can share in my disappointment...

Stopped into the scrap yard today to see if they'd found anything interesting for me over the last few days. Rounded the back corner of the building, and I quickly spot a nice P41 sitting off to the side. So, assuming that the one yard worker I've befriended over the summer had put it aside for me and ecstatic at my good fortune, I went inside to see how much the owner would take for it. Sadly he informed me that it was his own saw and he had only brought it there to give to one of his employees to tune up for him. My heart sank like a stone! It was a cherry P41 too - quite dirty, but in excellent condition under all the grime - all labels still 100% and very very little paint missing, just scratches & practically none worn off the edges. Even had a decent 24" bar & chain on it too. :chainsaw:

Guess it just wasn't my day today! Well, ya know what they say about things that look too good to be true... I did manage to come away with the rear handle section of what looks like a Homelite XL-12 for free, but that's a very small consolation prize! Better luck next time hopefully.

I finally got to cut with my Pioneer 650 this morning, I'm sore from running it, but I had a big damn grin on my face the entire time I was running. I'll post some pics and video tomorrow night.

1073 and P25

Acres says my 1073 is 51.4 cc's?:confused:?

I don't buy it, seems wimpier than that.

Just a FYI

I have read it a few times that cases from a P50 to a P62 are the same. I found one difference. I have 3 P50 cases and none of them are notched for the manual oil lines. The 2 P51 cases I have are. Not a big deal unless you need a case for a saw that has the manual oiler assist. Some of you may already know this, but I figured I would share it for those that don't.

arrowheadpioneer

I have read it a few times that cases from a P50 to a P62 are the same. I found one difference. I have 3 P50 cases and none of them are notched for the manual oil lines. The 2 P51 cases I have are. Not a big deal unless you need a case for a saw that has the manual oiler assist. Some of you may already know this, but I figured I would share it for those that don't.

Nice where's Waldo move :clap::clap::clap:

The P20 series saws are a little weak. They do ok if they have strong compression, a sharp chain and a good carb. I really like cutting with them. They just don't rev that high.

The P20 series saws are a little weak. They do ok if they have strong compression, a sharp chain and a good carb. I really like cutting with them. They just don't rev that high.

That would explain it. Piston is a scored above the rings so I imagine it's less than optimal. new clutch worked wonders though. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back