Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sprocket P21

I have a Pioneer P21 without a chain bar. But I Can't seem to find out witch pitch the sprocket is. I don't know if it is the original sprocket (.325 if I'm not mistaking). The numbers on the sprocket are almost gone. I think it was a serial of 5 numbers. The firs one is a 3 and the last two are 15. Is there any way to find the pitch so that i can get a bar and some chains?

Thanks

Silver_pigeon

I have a Pioneer P21 without a chain bar. But I Can't seem to find out witch pitch the sprocket is. I don't know if it is the original sprocket (.325 if I'm not mistaking). The numbers on the sprocket are almost gone. I think it was a serial of 5 numbers. The firs one is a 3 and the last two are 15. Is there any way to find the pitch so that i can get a bar and some chains?

Thanks

Silver_pigeon

Try this link to the chainsaw collectors corner http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...0f374de43268b2e488256b000019d56c?OpenDocument. It has some info about the bar and chains for the P21. Also go to www.rottmansales.com, they have parts breakdown for pioneer saws, by model number, that lists part numbers. They may even have what you need in stock.

Joe

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a saw chain that says SW on it, but I can't seem to find a site that can tell me wich pitch the number is. Any of you know where to find a matching table??

greets,

Silver_pigeon

To determine the pitch of your chain you can measure the distance between any 3 of the rivets that hold the chain together and divide that distance by 2. Say that the distance between the 3 rivets totals 3/4" then when it is halved that gives 3/8" so its commonly called a 3/8" pitch chain or it can be refered to as a .375 chain also. As for the letters SW , I am not familiar with that designation, is there a brand name on this chain?
Pioneerguy600

Thanks

Silver_pigeon

On an unmarked sprocket I just take a length of chain that I know the pitch of and lay it around the sprocket on the saw and with the bar held in place with just the nuts, no clutch cover on, run the chain out the bar to the tip, then just pull the chain around by hand and watch how it runs the sprocket. If it runs the sprocket without jumping or binding then the sprocket matches the chain pitch. Numbers on a sprocket don`t mean much unless you know the brand maker, they all use their own series numbers. However if it is marked .325 or .375 then those marks denote chain pitch.
Pioneerguy600

Would anybody happen to have some screws #431650? I need them in the chrome finish. I'd sure be willing to trade something for them.

Would anybody happen to have some screws #431650? I need them in the chrome finish. I'd sure be willing to trade something for them.

I will trade you 12 of them for your P62......lol :) No, I don't have any. I got busy and forgot to bid on the bunch they had on e-bay. :mad:

Hello Brendon

Not trying to be a pain here but when you say chrome do you mean shiny or do you mean just silver like the ones you would find on a small Pseries saw.I realize though that you need the ones for the large Pseries.Please let me know.
Lawrence

I guess they are really zinc coated and not chromed. They are the silver coloured screws, common to most Pioneers. Later, Poulan went with the black coated ones which were not nearly as nice looking in my opinion. If you order these screws from a Poulan distributor your chances of getting them in zinc are quite slim. To my chagrin, I mostly receive black ones which is not so helpful for restoring the good old Pioneers. I do have a decent collection of screws, just not in that size. They would really put the icing on the cake for a couple of restos I have planned.

eBay saw

Clutch covers have been popping up on e-bay quite frequent. If it is a P40, a Farmsaw cover will work. Theres one on e-bay now for 5 bucks. Once you get the saw let us know, its possible its a P50. Then a farmsaw cover will not work. You can pull the muff and measure the bore, or measure the distance between av mounts on the lower frame. The lower frame thats included is from a P51 but whos to say it fits the saw. Either way you got a good deal.

You may get lucky and find the id tag on the bottom of the saw.....

Well, I got the saw yesterday and it had a tag on the bottom, it is a P50. Looks like the only things I need for it right now are a clutch cover and an oil cap. Have not tried to start it yet, but it does pull over fine. I'm surprised it doesn't have a compression release like the P42 and P51 has, unless it's hidden under the cover some where.

Any one that has a clutch cover and oil cap they don't need, let me know.

Joe

Congrats on the saw. P50 is definitely better than P40. The early P50's did not have comp. releases. I have an oil cap, I will check on a cover. I may have an extra without a brake.

Back