Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks exactly like my saw. I will try and get a few pictures of my Pioneer/Partner up soon. Busted leg kind of keeps me from toying with them. After all, you can only clean a saw so many times.

Sorry to hear about the leg! Looking forward to see some pics of your saw(s) though. Well, mine didn't fare to well. My son was doing some cutting and the saw died. We checked spark and it was ok out of the saw, but wouldn't fire in the saw. Replaced the plug and it started but wouldn't keep running. Took off the muffler and the top ring was stuck and there is some pretty bad scoring on the piston above the top ring. If I put some heavy oil in the cylinder and start it it runs good for a while but after compresssion goes away it won't start again untill I add some more oil. Looks like I need a new piston and rings. So far though it looks like it will be nearly impossible to find any. So, if anyone has any old P40 or P42 pistons/rings/cylinders or a combo of all 3 let me know. I was running 40:1 on gas oil mix which I think was sufficient so it probably was ready to go when I got it. :dizzy: :cry: :cry:

BrushKing

Hi Guy's
Really starting to get bummed out about the BrushKing,no information coming in .I have emailed more people and companies,historical departments,you name it,very little info in return.Any ideas?Sorry about the whining.
Lawrence

Just to let you Pioneer Fellers know, that I STUMBLED into something BIG today. What I call Chain Saw Heaven. I went to a Small Engine Repair Shop, and WOW, Parts Chain Saws Galore.
The Repair Shop was Full of Chain Saw for Parts. Even had a Attic Full as well. Big old Pioneers, I think Bigger then Jerry's 600, not sure, but looks a lot the same.
I'll be going back soon with my Camera, and I'm hoping I can sort through some of those Old Chain Saws, and take some Pictures of them, and Post them here on AS for you Guys.
If any Body is interested in buying them, I'll buy them for you, and all you need to do is reimburse me what I paid for them, plus the Shipping Charges.
Please let me know if this is a good Idea, or not. Bruce. P.S. I posted a new Thread, Fell into Chain Saw Heaven

P-42cbw

Well, just got off the phone with Rottman sales in Moline Michigan and ordered a new piston and rings, they were in stock. Set me back $68.00 with shipping, but at least I found them. They also have a coil pack shown on the web page for pioneer saws, no price listed, but at least they have it. Might have to get one just to have it on hand. Much thanks to Propliner for the Rottman lead :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey, mile9socounty, did you get your P-42cbw up and running? Does it sound as sweet as mine when it is? I fired up my craftsman and it just doesn't compare. Imean it sounds O.K., but you just don't hear or feel the power that my P-42 has. It turns a 32" Oregon bar and chain exceptionally well. I don't know for sure if it's supposed to, but it does. I know some of the specs I read say up to 28", but....... If there is a reason unbeknownst to me why I shouldn't run the 32, please let me know. I only did it because the guy I bout it from sent it with it. Oh yeah, what's a really good oil to use for the gasoil mix and what's a good mix?

USAFretired: greenchainsaw: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bruce and Pioneer's

Hi Bruce
Like I think I mentioned in your other post,it would be a great idea and I also think others would agree.looking forward to those pictures.Also any Nos parts as well or good ued parts or whole saws for parts
Lawrence

Hi Bruce
Like I think I mentioned in your other post,it would be a great idea and I also think others would agree.looking forward to those pictures.Also any Nos parts as well or good ued parts or whole saws for parts
Lawrence
In a few days, or Some time Next week or 2, I'm going to go back, and see if I can clean out his Work Shop, and Attic, and take all those Saws on Consinement, and sell them. Bruce. You Bet, I'll be taking Pictures. Bruce.

Jerry. What did I do Wrong?

I put in a new Carburetor Repair Kits in my McCulloch 1-10, and my McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10. They were all completed with the Plugs and Gaskets. I can get them to Start and Idle with no troubles.
When you leave them up and hold them in a Cut wide open, they seem to act if they are running out of Gas/Mix, and Stall Out. Then to get them to start again, you have to pull out the Choke, and have the Choke part way Open.
I have No Idea what I did wrong. As I took them apart, I laid out the old Gaskets as they came out, and replaced them the same way.
So I need some help with this matter Please, and I Gratefully Appreciate all your help and input. Bruce.

I put in a new Carburetor Repair Kits in my McCulloch 1-10, and my McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10. They were all completed with the Plugs and Gaskets. I can get them to Start and Idle with no troubles.
When you leave them up and hold them in a Cut wide open, they seem to act if they are running out of Gas/Mix, and Stall Out. Then to get them to start again, you have to pull out the Choke, and have the Choke part way Open.
I have No Idea what I did wrong. As I took them apart, I laid out the old Gaskets as they came out, and replaced them the same way.
So I need some help with this matter Please, and I Gratefully Appreciate all your help and input. Bruce.

Hey Bruce; What make of carb are you working on?
Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry for the Reply. It has been 20 some odd years that I had to rebuild a Carburetor.
Bruce.

If you have the carb really cleaned out and the diaphragms and gaskets in correctly , then raising the metering lever setting will allow more gas into the carb, if you go too high the carb will flood and you would have to lower the setting slightly. Raise the setting only around 10 thou at a time, if there is improvement in the amount of time the saw will run wide open then you are on the right track.
Pioneerguy600

If you have the carb really cleaned out and the diaphragms and gaskets in correctly , then raising the metering lever setting will allow more gas into the carb, if you go too high the carb will flood and you would have to lower the setting slightly. Raise the setting only around 10 thou at a time, if there is improvement in the amount of time the saw will run wide open then you are on the right track.
Pioneerguy600
Jerry.
Thanks a Million, for the advice. The last time I did this, I had my Dad to give me advice when I did something wrong, and could not figure it out. Thanks again. Bruce.

Hi Guy's
Anyone looking at the P51 for sale on Ebay right now?I think it was last at $370 .What a nice machine.
Lawrence

Yeah, I saw that one. I'm watching to see how high it goes. I just bought a P51 from eBay for 148.00, should arrive this week. My piston and rings for my P42 came yesterday,:) , so tonight I'll be tearing it down. Hope to have it running by tomorrow.

Joe :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

P51

That's a lot of money for a P51 but shows how rare the big P-series saws are becoming in good condition. Now if there were a P52 up for auction I'd be in on that one, you never see those around anymore. I've been using my P50 a lot lately and these saws have really surprising power. Almost as good as the 4 c.i. ones and gloriously loud with that nice reed valve sound.

Glad your'e watching

Hey fellas ,I like the idea that others are watching Ebay for those Pioneers,I have to pick and choose very carefully,as I have a tight budget USAFretired it seems that you have the bug also.I do not know if I told you fellas but awhile back I seperated the Pioneer 1200 from the BrushKing to clean both of them up.Really neat how the BrushKing hooks up with it's pins fitting in to the clutch of the 1200.
Lawrence

Latest posts

Back