Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice P25 with great paint! Yes, the decompression systems on these saws are simple and work remarkably well. I prefer the pushbutton type on the P60 series though, it's self-contained and doesn't need disassembly to do a compression check. Even on the 52cc saws the Easy-arc decompression sytem makes for easier starting. I like to hold the saw in one hand with the bar pointing down and pull with the other, and the system helps a lot.

I had three of my Pioneers out today, my 1074, P62 and my newly rebuilt P50. It looks like the P50 will be the new workhorse. It has surprisingly good power for an older 82cc saw and she ran perfectly (like a Pioneer always does). Only problem is, I have four chains to sharpen (sigh) before I can finish the job. I was cutting out a hardwood stump and got down into the dirt. It's hard on chains and they go dull fast. I may just be the last guy to use these things commercially but I wouldn't have it any other way! Me thinks I may need a stump grinder now. Did Pioneer make those? :)

Blackoak's P25

Well you sure did a nice job on the P25.it looks a lot better than the one I have posted in this thread.How did you paint it,Spraygun,spraybomb etc.?
Lawrence

Propliner

Hi Brendon
Well I don't know if Pioneer made stump grinders,but found out the other day that they were in on early snowmobiles called Hus-ski's I think.They were powered with a Pioneer RA engine.I have this info from a fellow who sold them.
As far as my research into the BrushKing,i have found some one in the Scandinavian countries that has two models,and some one in the US that has one .They put out a few models I guess.I have tried research's on the web and now have questions in at New Hampshire Archives.If you here of anything please let me know.Oh yea,yesterday I disconnected the attachment from the chainsaw really weird how that works.There are three pins on the end of the shaft of the BrushKing where it attaches to the chainsaw,these pins fit into holes on a clutch drum,anyway cleaned what little debris was in there out,and put it back together. I am not sure if I should try and fire up the chainsaw and see what happens or not.
Lawrence

Serial numbers

hello pioneer gurus
Can any of you explain to me what serial numbers tell you? I find them on the silver and black metal plates on the Pioneers along with the model number.
Thanks Lawrence

Well you sure did a nice job on the P25.it looks a lot better than the one I have posted in this thread.How did you paint it,Spraygun,spraybomb etc.?
Lawrence
Thank you. I used a spray bomb. I got that color of paint because I thought it was close to Poulan green. I have a few Poulans I want to restore when I get the chance. I think it's a little brighter that Pioneer green. It's by far from perfect, but it does look much better than before.

Hi Lawrence, for fun I'd fire that Brushking up, start beating up weeds and make my neighbors cringe even more. It looks like it's well built and will last a long time (aside from the wooden components at least).

The serial numbers are mainly sequential. In the service bulletins they help identify when production changes were made, such as an engine component change. Frequently Pioneer would state that prior to a certain serial number, if a saw was brought in for service, that a component should be upgraded to a better designed part if the saw were manufactured prior to x serial number.

Fire up the BrushKing,Not Yet

Hi propliner
I would like to fire it up.Maybe this weekend if it fires,I have not tried it yet.As far as a saw blade goes I have no idea which one to use on that shaft end.It has a three sided arbor,and a bunch of washers,and not sure how they all go on properly.Do you have any contacts that know about this machine Brendon?It also needs a gaurd behind the blade for safety.Do not know if there is after market on those,and where to mount it.Sorry if all this is mumbo jumbo i am tired and half asleep,
Lawrence

Brushking

Lawrence, I don't know anything about the Brushking, in fact I have never even heard of it before yours. I was thinking that you'd probably have to customize a cutting head to fit somehow and maybe use a guard from another machine as well. I know one thing though... it's gonna be loud!

Pioneer 1200 and BrushKing

Hi Brendon
Well the exhaust on the 1200 seems to have been changed because there has been two little pieces of pipe welded on to the muffler that deflect the exhaust away from where the operator would be standing while holding the machine.Also some kind of deflector on the muffler as well.I have been in contact with the city archives of Keene New Hampshire about the company but they could not tell me that much about the company,only how long it was there and two different people that were in management.So I will do some more detective work and try and find out more .Where I am not sure.I do know that they made other models as well.
Lawrence

Well, thanks to brother Jerry, I now got a few like new parts to complete my pioneer 600. :yourock:

I will post of pic when she's finished and barks again. As far as I know, this will be the first chainsaw restoration to occur in Belgium with the kind sponsorship of canadian citizens !

Jerry deserves a belgian beer and lots of rep !!!
:agree2: :cheers:

As promised, I would post pics again of my Pioneer 600 once I had her running. It turned out she needed quite some work :

- new fuel gaskets, filter
- complete carb rebuilt
- starter rebuilt
- new seals for the oil pump
- new coil, new sprocket, handle and clutch cover

The last items were generously supplied by pioneerguy600 of Canada :cheers:
She misses still the steel support strip between cylinder and handle, but that's no biggie.

The saw still has excellent compression and runs like a new saw built in 1959 !

600csmall.jpg

600asmall.jpg

I also made a small video for Jerry to enjoy.

thanks again. she's a now nice runner in my collection.

Last edited:
looks and sounds good belgian, i just sent my handle away for some new chrome. hope to have mine running soon. the skins all most healed on my fingers so i can pull the old beast again.

As promised, I would post pics again of my Pioneer 600 once I had her running. It turned out she needed quite some work :

- new fuel gaskets, filter
- complete carb rebuilt
- starter rebuilt
- new seals for the oil pump
- new coil, new sprocket, handle and clutch cover

The last items were generously supplied by pioneerguy600 of Canada :cheers:
She misses still the steel support strip between cylinder and handle, but that's no biggie.

The saw still has excellent compression and runs like a new saw built in 1959 !

600csmall.jpg

600asmall.jpg

I also made a small video for Jerry to enjoy.

thanks again. she's a now nice runner in my collection.

Hi Roland; Great to see the 600 is up and running,guess I forgot about the handle brace,duh. I see it could also use an oil tank cap. You won`t have to do a dual port muffler mod as it comes from the factory already done, LOL.
Cheers Pioneerguy600

Hi Roland; Great to see the 600 is up and running,guess I forgot about the handle brace,duh. I see it could also use an oil tank cap. You won`t have to do a dual port muffler mod as it comes from the factory already done, LOL.
Cheers Pioneerguy600

Hey Jerry, you did supply more than was actually requested, so you forgot nothing. I am very happy with the new handle, makes her really look like a real 600.
The dual port muffler is awesome. When she fired up the first time, burning an overdose of gas and probably some old oil residus, the saw appeared as a dragon blowing smoke through the nose . It's a sight I won't forget easily :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I owe you. Don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you need something from over here. ;)

Hey Jerry, you did supply more than was actually requested, so you forgot nothing. I am very happy with the new handle, makes her really look like a real 600.
The dual port muffler is awesome. When she fired up the first time, burning an overdose of gas and probably some old oil residus, the saw appeared as a dragon blowing smoke through the nose . It's a sight I won't forget easily :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I owe you. Don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you need something from over here. ;)

Hi Roland; I know exactly what you mean about the muffler thing, its the earliest memory that I have of these saws is when our new 600 was started for the first time at the dealers shop it set there on the bench nearly hopping off the bench top and snorting blue smoke out each side of the muffler, a dragon is what came to mind. They were run on 16 to one oil mix back then and smoke filled the shop in mere minutes and they will idle down so slow that you get the puffing effect,its quite a site.I have one of my 600`s with super compression that will idle under 1000 rpm,down to 850 on some days and that snorting and hopping effect really becomes a visual show and I get a lot of comments about it. If a small package makes its way toward Belgium and knowing the speed that it travels it may make it by Christmas would the receiver like any other tid bits other than an oil cap and handle brace? Santa or one of the Elves might be able to find other spares around the shop. Cheers :cheers:
Pioneerguy600

Hello all, Just purchased my first Pioneer saw on ebay. Fired it up for the first time last night and cut some wood, it was awesome. I have 3 other saws, but they are newer Craftsman 18" and a fairly old Homelit XL 14" that was my father-in-laws (it's the wife's favorite because it's light). I was wondering if anyone could give me any specs on the saw. I found some manuals on ebay, but it will be a while before I purchase. The saw is in pretty rough condition externally, but it runs great. It came with a brand new 20" Oregon bar and a used Oregon 32" bar both with good chains. I put fuel and chain oil in and 3 pulls later it came to life. Looking forward to cutting an old oak this weekend with a few branches that the 32" bar will just make it through. BTW, this site is awesome, and after reading your posts the last few days, I think all of you are awesome also. :clap:

:greenchainsaw:

Looks exactly like my saw. I will try and get a few pictures of my Pioneer/Partner up soon. Busted leg kind of keeps me from toying with them. After all, you can only clean a saw so many times.

Looks exactly like my saw. I will try and get a few pictures of my Pioneer/Partner up soon. Busted leg kind of keeps me from toying with them. After all, you can only clean a saw so many times.

Hey mile9socounty; When did you bust your leg? I have been away for a while but read all the posts on here upon my return and this is the first time I have heard of you breaking a leg,that`s seriously bad luck!
Pioneerguy600

Back