Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will

Well the Gurus will be around shortly to answer anything you need to know,as you know.but I'm going to try my knowledge out here.I say the top cover is missing because those two black rubber things that are on top of the cylinder shroud sit right against the top cover.Also that's not the original colour.Okay, that's my input.Hope you can get that baby running Will!
Lawrence

Well the Gurus will be around shortly to answer anything you need to know,as you know.but I'm going to try my knowledge out here.I say the top cover is missing because those two black rubber things that are on top of the cylinder shroud sit right against the top cover.Also that's not the original colour.Okay, that's my input.Hope you can get that baby running Will!
Lawrence

Thanks. It needs allot or work I suspect. Yes there is supposed to be a top cover, I figured. There is a latch on the top of the rear handle that holds on the cover.

Will

Nice old RA you got there Will, as Lawrence said it is not the original color, that color was used on the NU 17. It does need a top cover and that is the hardest part to find individually for the RA`s, they are collectors items themselves. A little penetrating fluid in the bore and it should loosen up, may not make good compression until you dismantle it and clean up the cylinder and unstick the rings. Rings are scarce as they are 2 1/4" X 1/16" but you can get them from Hastings , part # 8207. With a little work it could look like this one.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

Pioneerguy600

Nice old RA you got there Will, as Lawrence said it is not the original color, that color was used on the NU 17. It does need a top cover and that is the hardest part to find individually for the RA`s, they are collectors items themselves. A little penetrating fluid in the bore and it should loosen up, may not make good compression until you dismantle it and clean up the cylinder and unstick the rings. Rings are scarce as they are 2 1/4" X 1/16" but you can get them from Hastings , part # 8207. With a little work it could look like this one.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

Pioneerguy600
I'll bet that one don't cut much wood!

Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry, that is an awesome looking saw. I knew that top cover would be hard to find. I knew it wasn't the right colour, you can see a little of the green below the brown. Which paint did you use on yours?

Thanks

Will

The paint is Urethane three part by Nason and the primer is etch type. I sometimes use 2 part epoxy primer on saws that I will be using for work related duty, that stuff is just about impervious to oil and gas, just requires a lot of work to do cleanup on the paint guns.
Pioneerguy600

The paint is Urethane three part by Nason and the primer is etch type. I sometimes use 2 part epoxy primer on saws that I will be using for work related duty, that stuff is just about impervious to oil and gas, just requires a lot of work to do cleanup on the paint guns.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks, how did you match the colour?

Thanks, how did you match the colour?

I took the top cover in to our paint supplier and he used a scanner to get a starting point for the color, we then added a touch of this an that to come up with a match that could not be told from the original. The original IEL ,RA`s were of many different hues of yellow/green, I have done 6 of them and no two have matched yet. The early ones like this one were lighter yellow than the following ones, seemed each run got darker. This saw has the medallion and separate Pioneer logo on its top, others have no medallion and the pioneer is cast in with the cover.

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_1883.jpg

Pioneerguy600

I took the top cover in to our paint supplier and he used a scanner to get a starting point for the color, we then added a touch of this an that to come up with a match that could not be told from the original. The original IEL ,RA`s were of many different hues of yellow/green, I have done 6 of them and no two have matched yet. The early ones like this one were lighter yellow than the following ones, seemed each run got darker. This saw has the medallion and separate Pioneer logo on its top, others have no medallion and the pioneer is cast in with the cover.

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_1883.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Very cool saw. Just wondering how I will get a close match of paint? Since I have nothing to go by.

Will, this is a paint code for the yellow. Brendon (Propliner) did his P41 in this. Pages 95-100. Looking at the pictures of Brendons P41 and Jerrys RA... I would say they are real close. Like Jerry mentioned, I have seen slight color variations on NOS P series parts.

P1010317.jpg

P1010323.jpg

IMG_0073.JPG

P series saws are are just slightly a little more green than the older IEL saws. I can get the paint code from the guy who is the mixer at UAP automotive paint supplies locally.
Pioneerguy600

Will, this is a paint code for the yellow. Brendon (Propliner) did his P41 in this. Pages 95-100. Looking at the pictures of Brendons P41 and Jerrys RA... I would say they are real close. Like Jerry mentioned, I have seen slight color variations on NOS P series parts.

That looks real close!

Do you have a NAPA automotive parts store near you?
Pioneerguy600

Why yes I do. I deal with them every day for work!!

That looks real close!

Why yes I do. I deal with them every day for work!!

Check post # 3600.
If you want to go the NAPA route let me know, they handle the NASON brand of paints over here and supply us with all our base clear, urethane and epoxy based paints and primers.
Pioneerguy600

P1010317.jpg

P1010323.jpg

IMG_0073.JPG

Thanks so much for that! When I get around to painting my 2071, I'll just print that photo and take it down to NAPA.

SYSOP won't let me rep you right now. :(

How tight does the clutch nut need to be on a P 62? I don't want to overtighten or not get it tight enough.

Latest posts

Back