Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of picts of the internals;

Christmas%202010%20021.jpg

Christmas%202010%20022.jpg

Christmas%202010%20023.jpg

Christmas%202010%20024.jpg

P&C will need some work or maybe just replace them with NOS pieces.

Jerry
Looks like Santa came early on the east coast. That saw will be 5lb lighter when you get it cleaned. Looks like heavy build up on the piston. Too much oil in the fuel mix?? I am sure it will run like new before 2011.
I got a line on a Pioneer P62 Western. Maybe Santa will be good to me as well.

Jerry

I'm embarresed! Geezzz, I knew it was dirty but WOW that's almost looking as bad as that saw you posted way back, that a fella wanted you to restore,it was a real mess if I remember.What is that stuff all over the cylinder cooling fins.It looks like it's melted ! Very good photography !
Lawrence

P&C will need some work or maybe just replace them with NOS pieces.

Jerry
Looks like Santa came early on the east coast. That saw will be 5lb lighter when you get it cleaned. Looks like heavy build up on the piston. Too much oil in the fuel mix?? I am sure it will run like new before 2011.
I got a line on a Pioneer P62 Western. Maybe Santa will be good to me as well.

Good to hear from you Jeff, the saw will be a little lighter after a good cleaning. You are so right, too much oil that was not really combustible, heavy deposits in the exhaust port, that`s what took out the piston, carbon broke off and fragmented then scuffed up the aluminum. It would actually run the way it was but I hope it will run even better when I am through....;)
Merry Christmas;
Pionerguy600

I'm embarresed! Geezzz, I knew it was dirty but WOW that's almost looking as bad as that saw you posted way back, that a fella wanted you to restore,it was a real mess if I remember.What is that stuff all over the cylinder cooling fins.It looks like it's melted ! Very good photography !
Lawrence

I did not post the picts to embarras you, you were so good to get and send this saw to me, no worries. It will be cleaned up and some of the scuffed up parts will be replaced, just the kind of project saw I like to get. Hey!.. anyone can get a new saw and it will run, I prefer to get saws that need work, no saw has ever been too much work for me yet, as long as I can search out the bits needed it will run again. LOL
Merry Christmas;
Pioneerguy600

Yeller Fella

I know you were not up to anything by posting the pictures, just making light of that dirty,dirty saw! Merry Christmas Jerry!

Merry Christmas to all you Pioneer guys and to all the AS members!
Lawrence

Missed answering part of your question Lawrence, that stuff on the cylinder was just chain oil and fine sawdust, it washed off easily and that cylinder would clean up inside easily and be good to run again, the piston is a little too far damaged to run for long. We will see what is in this box, it might just be the ticket...;)

Christmas%202010%20037.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Jerry, that looks like a good one. I recognize that part number on the box as a cylinder kit. I can't remember if it's the thick or thin ringed version. Hopefully the thin one. I see visions of a beautiful P62HP in your future.

Jerry, that looks like a good one. I recognize that part number on the box as a cylinder kit. I can't remember if it's the thick or thin ringed version. Hopefully the thin one. I see visions of a beautiful P62HP in your future.

You are so right, it is an OEM rebuild kit for the P62 High Performance saws, thin ring piston version, has some nice goodies with it.

Christmas%202010%20031.jpg

Christmas%202010%20030.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Here is my old Pioneer 2073. Bought it new in ' 71 '. Used it for cutting firewood every year until I lost the chain adjuster in ' 97 ' . It's a 51.4cc , 3.14 cu. in. engine that weighs 9 lbs. 10 ozs. w/o the bar. This is the original 16" Bar that came with it. I've cut some big oak timber with this one.
1971pioneerboughtnew0041.jpg

Here is my old Pioneer 2073. Bought it new in ' 71 '. Used it for cutting firewood every year until I lost the chain adjuster in ' 97 ' . It's a 51.4cc , 3.14 cu. in. engine that weighs 9 lbs. 10 ozs. w/o the bar. This is the original 16" Bar that came with it. I've cut some big oak timber with this one.
1971pioneerboughtnew0041.jpg

Nice old survivor you have there Sagetown and welcome to the site. I have run most of the older Pioneers and own a few also. They were solid performers in their day, many of them are still running and cutting firewood in my area.
Pioneerguy600

I have a 973 and a 1073. What is different about a 2073, anybody know?

I have a 973 and a 1073. What is different about a 2073, anybody know?

I think your," 973" is likely a 970. The 970 and 1073 came from the factory with a Pioneer carb on them, the 1073 came from the factory with the adjustable Tillotson HU carb. The Pioneer company provided a kit to change the 970 and the 1073 over to Tillotson HU`s also and many of them were done with this kit. The settings on the original Pioneer carbs were not the greatest and they had some internal parts that left a little to be desired.
Pioneerguy600

Sagetown, welcome. Your saw is a testament to the Pioneer engineering. Is that the original top cover?

Thanks for the welcome Jerry and propliner. Yep it still wears the original cover. Notice the label is slowly coming loose. What would you estimate the horsepower to be ~ between 3.2 and 3.4 hp ? Just curious, Not that it really matters.

pioneernpoulan0041.jpg

serial1.jpg

Back