Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your," 973" is likely a 970. The 970 and 1073 came from the factory with a Pioneer carb on them, the 1073 came from the factory with the adjustable Tillotson HU carb. The Pioneer company provided a kit to change the 970 and the 1073 over to Tillotson HU`s also and many of them were done with this kit. The settings on the original Pioneer carbs were not the greatest and they had some internal parts that left a little to be desired.
Pioneerguy600

Yes, you are right Jerry, it is a 970. I will have to look at that carb and see what it is.

Thanks for the welcome Jerry and propliner. Yep it still wears the original cover. Notice the label is slowly coming loose. What would you estimate the horsepower to be ~ between 3.2 and 3.4 hp ? Just curious, Not that it really matters.

pioneernpoulan0041.jpg

serial1.jpg

No hp numbers, but here's the specs..

http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...a7e5f33f0403144488256b000018426b?OpenDocument

daddy66; Thanks for the spec's link . I'm new at all this data stuff, but from what I understand is that the 2073 was made from 1971 to 1972. It was replaced by the 1073 in 1972 supposedly because they added an automatic chain oiler. The 2073 had a manual oiler, however, mine definitely has the automatic oiler. Kinda confusing.

I don`t ever remember seeing HP numbers stated for the older Pioneer chainsaws, they were not fast or high revving but were torquey hard pulling saws.
Pioneerguy600

Looking at the spec's, I see that. The old saw's working rpm of 7,000, compared to today's saws clipping between 9 to 9,500 rpm.

P62 Western

Fellows
I picked up a P62 Western today with a 3ft bar. This is the first Western I have owned. Are there any other differences to the saw other then the rear discharge exhaust and the label WESTERN on the top handle?
It also has the large double spikes on the front.

Last edited:
Fellows
I picked up a P62 Western today with a 3ft bar. This is the first Western I have owned. Are there any other differences to the saw other then the rear discharge exhaust and the label WESTERN on the top handle?
It also has the large double spikes on the front.

They usually have a full wrap front handle also.
Pioneerguy600

They usually have a full wrap front handle also.
Pioneerguy600
Yes It has the full wrap handle.
My brochure shows the large spikes as well on the reg P62, half handle and basket cover. It shows the P42, P52 and P62 availible as a Western

The Western has the large spikes, full wrap and rear discharge muff. I have heard they have a larger venturi carb, but not sure about that. The only Western I have had my hands on is my P62 Western, and it has a larger carb than my others, able to produce a little more rpm.

P62 Western

I will have to look under the hood tomorrow and see what carb is on the saw. There is a 62 Western listed online with a half wrap handle but hard to say if the handle is original. We don't see too many Westerns around here so I grabbed the saw. Thought I needed it.

Does the Western`s have the thin ring piston like the High Perf saws do?
Pioneerguy600

The one I have does, in fact all my Pioneers are the thin ring. I do have an nos piston that is thick ring. As far as I know there is no explanation to the thick/thin ring thing. I think the thick rings were more common on the later models.

Yes, Western P62's have the thin ring piston. Any pics of the new P62? Mine's my favorite saw of all, it's just perfect in every way. I think the thick ring came on the later Pioneer/Partner saws.

Last edited:
Remember the 655 piston with the thick rings also has the bigger pin diameter. They won't fit on the P62's rod. I think the big ringed piston originally came from the concrete saw.

Remember the 655 piston with the thick rings also has the bigger pin diameter. They won't fit on the P62's rod. I think the big ringed piston originally came from the concrete saw.

I may be wrong, but the 655 has a .5mm smaller pin and has a larger crank/bearings than the P62. Keeping the same stroke on both.

P62 Western

I may be wrong, but the 655 has a .5mm smaller pin and has a larger crank/bearings than the P62. Keeping the same stroke on both.

Will try to upload a couple of photos
I agree there were changes between the P62 and 655. I have a cylinder kit tagged P65 and it has the thick rings as well. The P62 and P65 saws use different kits. Not sure when they started the ported piston and cylinder.
These are the latest saws I picked up. The P62 Western, A p51 with 32 inch hard nose Pioneer bar and a Pro 455
The 62 Western has a Walbro SDC 21-85 carb the same as a P51 and a P60 I have. Looks like the spikes are upside down. Saw runs great. Cylinder is clean and it has the thin rings as well.

[

Latest posts

Back