Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy New Year

Happy New Year to you Jerry and the rest of the members on the Pioneer Thread!
Look forward to good things on here in the year to come.
Lawrence

Happy New Year! These are some of my favorite saws. I just recently got the Pioneer IPL's and such, haven't really had a chance to go through them yet. If there is some info you guys are looking for, let us know and we'll figure out how to get you a copy. It would be nice to find top end parts for the 455, 62HP, and the 655, as those are saws that I don't intend of ever letting go of. I haven't seen any late model Stihl or Husky that can even come close in stock trim to cutting with the 455 or the 655. I'd also like to find some Boyesen reeds for stash too, if anybody knows where some might be. Does BP stand for big piston? I guess you'd have to cut with it to actually know. I would say that it is a male thing, except that anything that screams like that and chews you to shreds with no remorse whatsoever isn't male!:hmm3grin2orange:

Saw Parts

Happy New Year! These are some of my favorite saws. I just recently got the Pioneer IPL's and such, haven't really had a chance to go through them yet. If there is some info you guys are looking for, let us know and we'll figure out how to get you a copy. It would be nice to find top end parts for the 455, 62HP, and the 655, as those are saws that I don't intend of ever letting go of. I haven't seen any late model Stihl or Husky that can even come close in stock trim to cutting with the 455 or the 655. I'd also like to find some Boyesen reeds for stash too, if anybody knows where some might be. Does BP stand for big piston? I guess you'd have to cut with it to actually know. I would say that it is a male thing, except that anything that screams like that and chews you to shreds with no remorse whatsoever isn't male!:hmm3grin2orange:

Happy New Year
The Poulan Pro saws will be a little easier to find parts for then the P62
Here is a link to a website for the PP models
Super X Power | Briggs & Stratton OEM Parts | Briggs & Stratton Power Products (formerly Generac) OEM Parts | Briggs & Stratton Yard Power (formerly Murray) OEM Parts | Dixon ZTR OEM Parts | Dolmar OEM Parts | Electrolux / AYP OEM Parts | Homelite OE
You can also try Rottmans at
Carbide Chain
The BP stands for Boost Port. If you search this thread you will find info and photos for the BP

Gear drive oil

Is there a particular type of oil for the Pioneer gear boxes? My 1560 gearcase seemed just about empty (at least, nothing came out of the level plug.) So I topped it off with standard 80-90 gear oil. First round of cuts the clutch seemed to slip on tree bark with a 20" bar. Definitely not right. Before I tear into the gearcase and clutch, I'm wondering if I should be using something lighter like hyd oil. My repair manual does not indicate one way or the other.

Any ideas?

Chris B.

cbfarmall Chris

Looked through some Pioneer literature I have on the 1560 and no mention of what type of gear oil, it just says gear oil.As for the clutch it mentions it has a wet type clutch lining and must be run in oil.Do not slip and wear the clutch by overloading.Release throttle immediately if the chain becomes pinched.This comes from the owners manual for the 1560 page 16 top right hand corner.
Lawrence P.S. Have you got that part I sent to Mark yet?

I'm heading over to Mark's tomorrow and will get the shroud then and I'll get to examine first-hand all those wonderful saws he's been posting!

Is there any chance of getting a copy of that 1560 owners manual?

Chris B.

To answer my own question they weigh 10 lbs 14 oz dry less bar and chain. I picked up a few of these and made one good runner, this one is a 1074 but has a cylinder from a P28 and a starter spring and carb from a P21. The weak link on these saws is the chrome planting on the cylinder (very thin) and has a tendency to peel off. Has a clever auto de-compression release that is activated by the starter gear.

I was looking at the specifications for the P26 51cc with a listed weight for the power head of 9 LBS 10 OZ is this correct or just optimistic BS ? Under 10 pounds for a 50cc saw, that's a pound lighter then the Stihl 026 most 50cc saws from that era were in the 12~13 pound range. Any one have one they can put on a scale and verify ?

attachment.php

tm

View attachment 166702

Last edited:
Happy New Year Guys!

Jerry, The P62 is looking good.

Thanks Ed, ..I took picts of many of the other parts that were also cleaned up but they did not upload or I inadvertantly erased them somehow. Oh well I can take some more, likely tomorrow I may be able to put all the good parts back on but I have to hunt up a upper rear handle assembly, the one on this saw is broken through the on- off switch hole and through the choke shaft hole making the rear handle separate from the upper AV assembley.
Pioneerguy600

I was telling Jerry but hopefully the rest of you Pioneer guys know now, but that seller on e-bay, "Dandrikop", is selling larger-sized generic piston rings in sizes like 57mm x 1.5mm, which fits some of the earlier IEL/Pioneers. They have blank ring ends so a guy can file or grind the ends for a ring locating pin. In some cases that gives a person a little more size to work with. I may even be able to buy rings for some of my larger, older saws that way as well, like my Lombard OMS.

That is excellent info Jacob, a lot of these older saws are getting harder to find rings for them. I think that feller from Greece will have an increase in his sales shortly. I have bought piston and ring sets from him for the last 3 years with no problems other than waiting 7-9 days for them to get here, not his fault, it takes whatever the system incurrs and I have no problem waiting .
Pioneerguy600

Jerry's new Big boy

Jerry those pictures you are taking are great quality!Keep up the good work as you walk us through your rebuild
Lawrence

Back