Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 305555This is my first Pioneer a P 41. The metering lever looked real high possibly bent up as the inlet needle was all gummed up. I set it to the deck but it didnt run for long like that whats the stock specs for the metering lever ? also this tillotson has a check that threads into the carb body any special set up on that? last one what are the H/L settings.?

305555d1374585916-pioneer2-jpg

Nice looking P41. It should have a HS series Tillotson. On those you set the metering lever level with the body. After a rebuild, I usually go 1 to 1 1/4 turns out, then fine tune from there.

P61

Hello fellers,
I just aquired a P61 on ebay. I purchased new rings and a piston for it. I'm looking to find if anyone knows the exhuast-open duration. I haven't seen hardly anything about pioneer hotsaws so I figure I'll give it a go.
Thanks.

It depends on the jug... if it's Mahle or Gilardoni. If it's an original P61 jug it should be a Mahle. On most of the Mahle jugs the exhaust opens at 100 ATDC and the transfers at 120 ATDC. Those are good all around numbers in my opinion. Some of the older Mahle jugs were 70% on the exhaust port width from the factory!! :rock:

I see your from Rockford... I'm near Dwight if your ever down this way. I've got a few Pioneers.

Here's a P62 I built if you want to see the insides. Far from a hotsaw, but I did do some mild port work.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/142517.htm

Last edited:
Reed Prentice 1200b

hear is a saw I thought people might enjoy it dose have a P in its name like Pioneer lol [video=youtube;s5zj_clqF10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5zj_clqF10&feature=share&list=UUhJFcViE8FQ5EIorHiLkUjQ[/video]

I mixed it 20:1 it calls for 10:1 I had just got it going it had a lot of oil in it who ever but it up for storage . And the muffler was full it needs to burn it off and should be fine tuned but didnt have time for that wife had lot of crap for me to do lol and I most likely wont ever get back to doing anything with it for a long time . Got a lot of projects on the go lol

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sorry Pioneer fans, I'm a tad excited.

You can't see it from this angle but there is an extra inch or so on the front of the fuel tank.

attachment.php

That would be like scoring a PP-655 for 40 USD in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
305555d1374585916-pioneer2-jpg

Nice looking P41. It should have a HS series Tillotson. On those you set the metering lever level with the body. After a rebuild, I usually go 1 to 1 1/4 turns out, then fine tune from there.

Thanks Arrowhead. I did set it flush I have a few more things to check out . I did fire and run it for a bit but was like 3 turns out on the L screw so Im going to leak test it tonight. also a visual inspection of the intake shows some cracks seem common on these the crack starts to the outside of the insert and just lighty shows to the inner side of the insert. any tips?

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I'm thinking of reverse engineering the p51 western and p61 western. I run a laser scanning CMM and am not always busy. Anyone interested in some cad files?

Thanks Arrowhead. I did set it flush I have a few more things to check out . I did fire and run it for a bit but was like 3 turns out on the L screw so Im going to leak test it tonight. also a visual inspection of the intake shows some cracks seem common on these the crack starts to the outside of the insert and just lighty shows to the inner side of the insert. any tips?

Those reed blocks are notorious for cracking. They also are prone to leak at the gasket between that block and the case.

Some of those saws came with a Walbro SDC carb and I seem to have a lot more luck with those than the Tillys.

Those reed blocks are notorious for cracking. They also are prone to leak at the gasket between that block and the case.

Some of those saws came with a Walbro SDC carb and I seem to have a lot more luck with those than the Tillys.

yes this P41 has tilly hs147d74 stamped into it. this is the only tilly i have that has a check valve that screws into the side if the carb on the choke side you fimilar with that, its not shown on the HS .pdf ..also are the reed blocks junk if they crack or still servicable? I saw one fo a P51 on ebay same cracks in it..

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I'm thinking of reverse engineering the p51 western and p61 western. I run a laser scanning CMM and am not always busy. Anyone interested in some cad files?

just gonna share this but last nite while looking over my reed block that has some cracks in it. and after reading here parts are scarce.. i thought someone should cnc some pioneer reed blocks to keep theese saws alive. seems the phenolic one with inserts crack and mabye a weak link after 30+ years.

Last edited:
Back