Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't see it from this angle but there is an extra inch or so on the front of the fuel tank.

attachment.php

That would be like scoring a PP-655 for 40 USD in my humble opinion.

I found out after the fact that a 655 sold at a Commonwealth of Virginia surplus auction for $20.00 a couple of years ago...

Last edited:
just gonna share this but last nite while looking over my reed block that has some cracks in it. and after reading here parts are scarce.. i thought someone should cnc some pioneer reed blocks to keep theese saws alive. seems the phenolic one with inserts crack and mabye a weak link after 30+ years.

I would be interested in buying some if someone could manufacture them!!

Both types of the reed blocks crack in the same place. I don't think I've ever seen a used block without the cracks.
The cracks look nasty, but I haven't had the cracks affect a vacuum/pressure test. I've used a "super glue" type of glue that was fuel proof on the cracks with good luck... before I knew it was not really necessary.

The RTV may not stand up to the prolonged gasoline exposure. Keep a CLOSE eye/ear on the tune when you run that saw. If that repair fails in the cut the saw will lean out and quickly damage the P/C. In long cuts, be sure to lift cutting pressure periodically and make sure that it reverts to 'four stroking'. That'll tell you if it's OK or leaning out.

Last edited:
well im still not happy with this reed block. I actually had some leakage coming past the reed retaining screws and these look perfectly fine. might try some selant on these that fuel ristant super glue sounds like it may work. those threads leaked enough that the saw wouldnt hold pressure.

just ordered a new one:)

Last edited:
I tore down and attempted to refurbish two P-41s and a P40. Only real difference is the ignitions and exhaust port/muffler bolt spacing.

A P41 muffler will not fit on a P40.:buttkick: The P40 has points and the P41 was electronic. Electronic/solid state has weak spark at cranking speed.

Don't sweat the red paint.

I tore down and attempted to refurbish two P-41s and a P40. Only real difference is the ignitions and exhaust port/muffler bolt spacing.

A P41 muffler will not fit on a P40.:buttkick: The P40 has points and the P41 was electronic. Electronic/solid state has weak spark at cranking speed.

Don't sweat the red paint.

thanks for that, not sweatin the red, gas is makin it fall off... will be yellow this winter

An early P 40 will have the bendix type recoil like a farmsaw. The later ones went to the normal pawl setup.

A 61 should have an SDC 53 or a Tilly HS 213 but I don't know the bore sizes.

Most P61s had a sdc walbro. The 53 has a 17.4mm venturi. Some of the Western models came with a sdc80 which has a 19mm venturi.

620 question

Hey guys, I started tearing apart a S620 last fall and then got distracted. Just now rebuilding but somehow I've lost the screws that fasten the bowl assembly to the tank. Does anyone know what they are? Also is there some sort of gasket on them? I must be getting older, my memory seems to be starting to fail. Thanks.

Quickie cut off/demo saw.

While getting a loop of chain made at local OPE repair I spotted a demo saw based on a big Pioneer P type. I like to snoop around, never know what may turn up.

What are the specs.?

Anyway it has the large air filter on it.

Carl, those are Target saws. Probably blue in color. They made them in the 40/50/60 series Pioneer P saws, so I can't really give you specs without the model number. I have about 8 or 9 of them, I use them for parts for the Pioneers. I think out of the 9 I have, only 1 had a good top end. Bearing failure was also common for all the concrete dust they ingest.

Back