Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another big old Pioneer-a strong 1850. Sent the PTO side crankcase and flywheel housing off to be welded by Shaun. Came back stronger than new. Paint will come later, if at all. Put her together with new bearings and seals all around--uses 5 6203c3 bearings, easy to remember. The engine looked beautiful when I took it apart, so I didn't bother with rings. It was running before, but then I spotted the crack. I didn't want to mount that big bar and reef on those handlebars and make the crack worse--too close to major stress points.

Chris B.

1850_2_zpskizav1xx.jpg

1850_1_zpsvafnoeca.jpg

20160321_192610.jpg

20160321_192603.jpg

I bought some 54mm rings for an Stihl 056av, filed them to fit the bore and put the top end together last night. I managed to find a spring for the reed valve, so now all I need to do is clean up the ignition. Does anyone have any tips for how to solder the spark plug wire to the coil?

Id try something a little stronger than solder, maybe some shrink tube. Also anyone have any ideas how to fix a leaky oiler? Leaks even when the saws off from the oil hole

I have many old saws... Almost all of them weep bar oil. I think it sets up a siphon that is difficult to impossible to stop.
I haven't tried this but laying then on their sides with the bar oil bar supply line above the tank might work. Introducing air (oil is thick it may take a while) should break the siphon.
If the oil filler cap swells like the gas cap does, this might be a really bad idea on Pioneers/Partners/old Poulans!!!

No matter how the ignition wire is connected, IMO the connection needs to be immobilized.

I have many old saws... Almost all of them weep bar oil. I think it sets up a siphon that is difficult to impossible to stop.
I haven't tried this but laying then on their sides with the bar oil bar supply line above the tank might work. Introducing air (oil is thick it may take a while) should break the siphon.
If the oil filler cap swells like the gas cap does, this might be a really bad idea on Pioneers/Partners/old Poulans!!!

No matter how the ignition wire is connected, IMO the connection needs to be immobilized.
Yeah the oiler works a little too good. I would keep it on its side but my gas cap leaks when its turned so i dont have many options

Try a piece of Saran Wrap over the cap threads. Should prevent swelling too.
It might even stop the weeping. If the tank can't breath it'll create a vacuum that should stop the weep.

Remember to remove the Saran Wrap before you do any cutting.
I have never needed to adjust my oiler. I know it can be done. Gents? How? I don't recall seeing a how too adjust the oiler here, was there such an animal?
How big is the bar? One tank of oil to one tank of gas is what I was taught. Do you think your saw is using more than that?

My P50 oils excessively, even for a 28in bar. There is no adjustment as far as I can tell, it doesn't really leak any oil when its not running though. I would rather have too much oil than too little and the excess oil all over the saw "preserves" it.

Id like to get a new gas cap for it so i can store it on its side without gas leaking out. Anyone know where i can get one? Also looking for new decals

My P50 oils excessively, even for a 28in bar. There is no adjustment as far as I can tell, it doesn't really leak any oil when its not running though. I would rather have too much oil than too little and the excess oil all over the saw "preserves" it.

There should be an adjusting screw on the bottom of the pump with a notch in the saw case to get a slot screwdriver in there from te bottom. It would be easy to see if you pull the bar and chain off. I don't think I've seen any large P series without an adjustable oiler. Clockwise on the screw for less oil. They will still pump a lot of oil. The older saws were not stingy on oil. Most of them were made when motor oil was specified.

There should be an adjusting screw on the bottom of the pump with a notch in the saw case to get a slot screwdriver in there from te bottom. It would be easy to see if you pull the bar and chain off. I don't think I've seen any large P series without an adjustable oiler. Clockwise on the screw for less oil. They will still pump a lot of oil. The older saws were not stingy on oil. Most of them were made when motor oil was specified.
I noticed that screw before but wasnt sure what it was for thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back