Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how does a p61 do with 36" bar
A P61 should have no trouble with a 36", if that's the bar you need. I've never run a P61, but I worked next to another faller in WA 30+ yrs. ago whose P61 was likely outrunning my 2100, both w/ 36" bars. The 655BP I have now just laughs at a buried 36" bar w/ chisel-filed .404, even at 10,000' elevation.

Welcome to the site!

thank you for the info hillwilliam ive been running a 32 inch and have needed bigger too many times will look for a 36 inch bar. i dont wont to run it to hard used to be my grandpas he bought it brand new not sure what year will try and get pics up soon

My 41's and 51's have the divider in the exhaust port. I would assume all of them did in those two series.
I can't remember if my P42 Western (slightly different saw) had the divider. If it did, I removed it when it was new and did some other port work, just like I did on my P51.
By the way, Paul, I know for sure that not all your P51s have the divider! (I'm just being a wiseguy.)

if he passes, I'd like if ya would...

View attachment 508565
I think I have another one with your name on it. Does your clutch cover have the mounting holes?

I'm currently using the original smaller dogs on my P51, and bphill kindly sent me another set of the smaller ones that I'm now using on my 655. I like them because they allow me more usable bar length. I don't usually miss having the big ones on that saw.

i think porting is above my skill level id maybe try removing just the divider on my p41
In the old days, I didn't think about porting in terms of degrees. If you cut and grind the divider out, and raise/ enlarge the port only as much as what happens from polishing, and then do a good job of chamfering the port, you should be fine. If you leave it alone, you should be fine too.

I'll get that dog sent out within the next few days.

I think I have another one with your name on it. Does your clutch cover have the mounting holes?

I'm currently using the original smaller dogs on my P51, and bphill kindly sent me another set of the smaller ones that I'm now using on my 655. I like them because they allow me more usable bar length. I don't usually miss having the big ones on that saw.

agreed on usable bar, but this kinda bark makes em useful, here. pic of cc. no holes, thought it might go on bar studs. thanks for the offer, tho. btw, part w/rivets has been replaced.

IMG_0123.JPG

agreed on usable bar, but this kinda bark makes em useful, here. pic of cc. no holes, thought it might go on bar studs. thanks for the offer, tho. btw, part w/rivets has been replaced.

View attachment 508593
Yup, and I agree on the big dawgs for big bark. The spruce I usually cut has pretty thin (bug-infested) bark. If I get back into Doug fir, I'll be glad I didn't give you my big dawgs.

Wow, I'm not used to seeing huge growth rings like that!

thanks for the dog and port advice .do you run k&n filters on all your saws
I have K&N on three of my four Pioneers, because I have three aftermarket v-stacks I'd bought in the early 80s. I was working on a design for a better,more effective v-stack, but the project got stalled at the CAD drawing stage. What's the filter setup on your big saw?

Back