Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the least you will need a full wrap bar, a rear discharge muffler, Black paint for the rear handle assembly and decals. Those are a guess. I don't know what the clutch cover is like on the Western model. The standard 51 cover has no provision for a spike. I also don't know f there are smooth spots on the top of the AF cover where the decals would go.

It shouldn't be too hard. The decals may be available from SCS

At the least you will need a full wrap bar, a rear discharge muffler, Black paint for the rear handle assembly and decals. Those are a guess. I don't know what the clutch cover is like on the Western model. The standard 51 cover has no provision for a spike. I also don't know f there are smooth spots on the top of the AF cover where the decals would go.

It shouldn't be too hard. The decals may be available from SCS
I can find everything except the muffler. I have had a hard time finding the rear exit muffler, the people that have them don't want to let go of them. Can't say that I blame them, they work really good.

They made a P41 P51 and P61 Western. The P51 has been the hardest to find for me. I have seen a couple but they were in very poor condition, the saw should have all black handles instead of green as well as the other items that were mentioned.
The P61 ignition swap can be done with a P62 cylinder or a Non boost port 655 as long as you use the coil and flywheel as well. The Pro 655BP cylinder uses a ported piston and the piston pin is a different size.

Here is the early P50 I picked up this summer. I could not get a spark from the 3-piece ignition. I gutted the system, went through a few different coils/trials and had to re-time the flywheel with a light. I managed to get it running after quite a battle. Came with a nice original 36" 0.404". I will swap the 36" onto my early BP655 and the 24" 3/8 back onto the P50.

I haven't cut with it yet, but it seems to run pretty well. I'll get it down off of the racks and pull the cover to show the ignition one of these days.

..... just blipping the throttle after I finally got it running. I need to change out the seals and get a bit further into it still.

P50 - August 2016 1.jpg P50 - August 2016 (6).JPG

Here is the early P50 I picked up this summer. I could not get a spark from the 3-piece ignition. I gutted the system, went through a few different coils/trials and had to re-time the flywheel with a light. I managed to get it running after quite a battle. Came with a nice original 36" 0.404". I will swap the 36" onto my early BP655 and the 24" 3/8 back onto the P50.

I haven't cut with it yet, but it seems to run pretty well. I'll get it down off of the racks and pull the cover to show the ignition one of these days.

..... just blipping the throttle after I finally got it running. I need to change out the seals and get a bit further into it still.

View attachment 532582 View attachment 532583

That's a clean saw for how old it is.Sounds like it runs pretty good,and nice score on the bar.

They made a P41 P51 and P61 Western. The P51 has been the hardest to find for me. I have seen a couple but they were in very poor condition, the saw should have all black handles instead of green as well as the other items that were mentioned.
The P61 ignition swap can be done with a P62 cylinder or a Non boost port 655 as long as you use the coil and flywheel as well. The Pro 655BP cylinder uses a ported piston and the piston pin is a different size.
In your opinion would it be a bad thing to make a look alike to fit in with the other western saws? I would never sell it anyways,but if I did I would tell the buyer it was a fake.

In your opinion would it be a bad thing to make a look alike to fit in with the other western saws? I would never sell it anyways,but if I did I would tell the buyer it was a fake.

imo, no. make it work 4 u. have made fullwraps for 266 & 038, cause that's what I like and am too cheap to pay goin rates for same. oe is nice. overrated sometimes...
bottom line - its your saw. honesty is nice when sellin tho.

imo, no. make it work 4 u. have made fullwraps for 266 & 038, cause that's what I like and am too cheap to pay goin rates for same. oe is nice. overrated sometimes...
bottom line - its your saw. honesty is nice when sellin tho.
I just really love the look of the black and lime green,the saw is a standard half wrap p-51.I kinda figured no harm no foul,but would be nice to find a original p-51 western.I won't be selling any Pioneers any time to soon,I would rather buy more.

Building the saw is not a bad idea. It would be a place holder in a collection until you find one. The hardest part to get would be a proper serial tag and that would require finding an actual saw. I have a similar problem with a P52. I have a saw that runs good but a previous owner has drilled and tapped out the rewind screws to 1/4-20. I have a lower unit from a P51 I can use as a replacement.

Building the saw is not a bad idea. It would be a place holder in a collection until you find one. The hardest part to get would be a proper serial tag and that would require finding an actual saw. I have a similar problem with a P52. I have a saw that runs good but a previous owner has drilled and tapped out the rewind screws to 1/4-20. I have a lower unit from a P51 I can use as a replacement.
I can't even find a pic of a p-51 western,must be a very rare saw.Do you have a pic of one you could post?

Back