Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a repair kit for the fuel cap on the P-60 types?

Seems the guts on my 655BP have fallen into the tank.[emoji21]

Left cap off so it will maybe shrink. Got damn tight in the last year.
If you can get the parts out of the tank you can just put it back together.The metal part is what holds it all on,and it screws in with three tabs.You can put the cap itself in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a few days,and that will shrink it.I hope this helps you out.Mike

This may help
5ee2f3882703dd5b5e8798ecac9fe942.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Try soaking the swollen fuel caps in non-ethanol for a few days. I want to say Pete suggested this as a method for bringing them back down to size???

That is, if you've got access to non-ethanol fuel.

soak in non eth, let dry, repeat if nessesary. one took 3 over night soaks.

Non ethanol is a crap shoot around here. They seldom label the pump.[emoji19]
Fuel had been in it since last year Hedgefest.
Emptied the tank and let the cap sit for a couple weeks.

can o premix for soakin? have never tried it myself.

Hi all,
I would appreciate any guidance that you could give me here. I have become addicted to collecting chainsaws in recent times but the earliest I have are a 72 Mcculloch Pro Mac 60 and an 118 Dolmar of the same vintage. These were both in good condition when I purchased them and apart from a general going over they have been mechanically and chassis wise fine.
I am looking for a bit more of a challenge and something that is older and I can restore. I have come across a Pioneer 620 locally and this seems to be a perfect candidate for this sort of thing, being both a desirable and robust machine with a good following even now. The saw pictured is the one I am looking at. It is missing the top cover, the sheet metal section that fits under this and the air cleaner. I am looking at paying a relatively small sum for this (maybe 80 us dollars) but you have to remember that in Australia these don't come up so often so you cant be too fussy.
Are the missing parts likely to be easy to come by in the states? This will be a longish term project so I don't need things immediately but I do want to make sure I can actually get a top cover - I am guessing this would be an all yellow model.
I am mechanically handy and have done lots of cars and bikes, but would be interested in your opinion as to whether this saw was a good first up major restoration project?

All parts can be found for the Pioneer 600 series saws if you have enough patience and don`t mind paying a fair price for them. They are not the cheapest or easiest saws to find parts for but very doable if you are not in a big rush.

That's what I am thinking. It is just a matter of working out whether it is better to get this saw or to wait until a complete one comes up. I am pretty committed to doing a pioneer as I love the lines and details like the muffler and glass bowl sediment chamber.

Is there a repair kit for the fuel cap on the P-60 types?

Seems the guts on my 655BP have fallen into the tank.[emoji21]

Left cap off so it will maybe shrink. Got damn tight in the last year.
I got a second FarmSaw to repair my starter. The gas cap internal parts were all in the bottom of the tank. I just put them back in the proper order and pushed them back into the cap, seems to work.

That's what I am thinking. It is just a matter of working out whether it is better to get this saw or to wait until a complete one comes up. I am pretty committed to doing a pioneer as I love the lines and details like the muffler and glass bowl sediment chamber.

A complete saw is usually the best/cheapest way to go if you are only intent on building one saw of that model or series. Buying parts separately and paying shipping can add up very quickly, I know that from personal experience.
Is the serial and model number tags still mounted on the front airshield in front of the flywheel? The plain 620 had a yellow top cover where the 620Super had the copper colored top cover.

You have to remember that there are not that many pioneer's kicking around in Australia. There is lots of good stuff and I think it is just a matter of waiting until something good comes up. Just scored a mac 250 which while aesthetically nowhere near as pleasing as a 620, is a good saw for me to fully go through to test out my capacities. I think I am going to be collecting saws for the long term now and so I am better to hold out for complete saws as they come up I think.

I got a second FarmSaw to repair my starter. The gas cap internal parts were all in the bottom of the tank. I just put them back in the proper order and pushed them back into the cap, seems to work.

The fuel cap has been off my 655BP for over a week sitting on the shelf and already fits much better.

The cap guts are still in the bottom of the tank as I broke my long nose grabber and haven't found another.

Need it (the surgical clamp) for installing fuel lines.

Back