Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I have a couple of good HC IPL's and an owner's manual. The issue I'm having is with the carb. It's basically an HL carb not using the pump section. It may be called an HC carb. Not sure.

The IPL calls for 5 screws only to be used to hold the carb body together rather than the usual 6 screws. To make a long story short, I've been in contact with Pioneerguy600 and he is going to look at a carb off an HC he has in a box.
There is no impulse passage from the crankcase to the metering diaphragm but we think we have the answer. Just waiting for confirmation.
I figure the repair manual if one was available, would have the answer.

FWIW mine had the standard HL carburetor in it.

The reed blocks on those are very fragile. Might leak there.

Right you are, I pulled the reed block out to find it cracked on both sides of the brass inserts on both of them. Beveled the cracks out with a dremel and am JB welding it up for now to see if that fixes it. If it does or dosent fix it, I'll be looking for a new reed block.

Right you are, I pulled the reed block out to find it cracked on both sides of the brass inserts on both of them. Beveled the cracks out with a dremel and am JB welding it up for now to see if that fixes it. If it does or dosent fix it, I'll be looking for a new reed block.
I have had good luck with JB weld on the reed blocks, it seems that they are all cracked at the same place.

put a velocity stack and foam filter on my other P50 this weekend. I want to trade the my other half wrap one with a 24in bar, along with a few other project saws. I think I'd like either a husky 2100/something of that family of saws or stihl 038 super/mag/... but it would have to be a local deal.

20161209_173504.jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-p50-others.304034/

After years of doing just fine with Swedish saws, I got my first Pioneer, a P51, in the early eighties. I immediately did some port work and other stuff and was impressed that it would outrun my 2100 Husky, at least in 28" bar situations. I cut more timber with it than any of my many other saws and raced it on weekends for a few years. It would usually win in the 5-cube and 6-cube classes in those days. It would occasionally be beaten by another P51 and was eventually beaten by a Jonsereds 920 built by Ace Morgan. The P51/ 52 ended up being my absolute favorite saw ever.

I'd rebuilt it at least a couple of times over the years, but last summer it had a catastrophic failure while finishing up a big load of firewood. Autopsy eventually revealed a broken wrist pin bearing cage. Doesn't seem like all that long ago the whole top end was new. I was thinking to just let it go and not rebuild, but the good gentleman in Arizona convinced me to build again and supplied me with what I needed from an old USFS firefighter saw.

It doesn't seem as strong as it had been before it blew up (it would almost keep up with my 655BP - or I could at least mention the two in the same sentence), but it should gain some when the rings are fully seated. Anyway, I have my favorite saw back, I'm happy, and it's now a P52! Looks like I'm running out of bar oil in the Inter-tube video above.

It's kind of like Abe Lincoln's ax my father showed me when I was little: It had needed four new heads and seven new handles along the way, but he figured it was still Abe Lincoln's ax.

I feel sorry for you poor SOB's that have to survive in those 49 deg temps.. :baaa:

-3 right here at work at 4:30 am with like 100 mph wind.

After years of doing just fine with Swedish saws, I got my first Pioneer, a P51, in the early eighties. I immediately did some port work and other stuff and was impressed that it would outrun my 2100 Husky, at least in 28" bar situations. I cut more timber with it than any of my many other saws and raced it on weekends for a few years. It would usually win in the 5-cube and 6-cube classes in those days. It would occasionally be beaten by another P51 and was eventually beaten by a Jonsereds 920 built by Ace Morgan. The P51/ 52 ended up being my absolute favorite saw ever.

I'd rebuilt it at least a couple of times over the years, but last summer it had a catastrophic failure while finishing up a big load of firewood. Autopsy eventually revealed a broken wrist pin bearing cage. Doesn't seem like all that long ago the whole top end was new. I was thinking to just let it go and not rebuild, but the good gentleman in Arizona convinced me to build again and supplied me with what I needed from an old USFS firefighter saw.

It doesn't seem as strong as it had been before it blew up (it would almost keep up with my 655BP - or I could at least mention the two in the same sentence), but it should gain some when the rings are fully seated. Anyway, I have my favorite saw back, I'm happy, and it's now a P52! Looks like I'm running out of bar oil in the Inter-tube video above.

It's kind of like Abe Lincoln's ax my father showed me when I was little: It had needed four new heads and seven new handles along the way, but he figured it was still Abe Lincoln's ax.

Great runner! No saw I have feels better balance wise or fit on my hands than the larger P series saws. Great bark to those P51/52 saws.

Back