Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52`s are sweet saws, they would cut anything in good fashion that I ever come across here. My old original is well worn but still pulls like a freight train, I have never fueled or started my shelf queen 52, don`t want the smell of fuel inside where it resides year round....LOL

yqZDiYidb3o3N7AWnVVCbUkBVxKJt4mob0KA7rVgPpViQtcfNBDTHJg23tnB9QXFVpCf7RVHZzdlhHGAhUuVea7YV3aeeYX5Ipb3N6ZqrwvQXstcu_c0LlVZLMY2_N21_OA4cCH_KiUhXoVttHYsUEozWa4N3lqhBAIbtttFTbTrtxv0SHe08niqbISjuzb6VpBQabxImfBMJxtthoQLo6lp6xoVyip1QmeAoGtinAPfRJoNZkZmLx3SOyBPVQiK5uj1faBBqwvdf-wFTJl9FJgyhcfih53TPwckvW0FUFzkpJgHjtXJnh_FGKO0b228ULUx9Iq506j6dxkhsatnjaLz0VEAr3ES9K9CHYCZH8w4i1B-UgeUgo6Rz3uIAu_wg-H5gVTboMueKLFkVTGg7pZ4y7Or2GZ9AcKx2mnvIsHOUu-9m0K6ggzO8W83arwSou0pytWPqnARuHLOrah1XGVaOEal0hyZC3tgmA2tdzVvZF-K2C3ON-jk5Ra_IqoMc82Aqp7hza4cW7g6NGqFj3Gf0kxpqOvWoGJekZRFh0OUneykM1eaH_nqRqI6Smxt0Uj0Z4h67OrvGBTkJhAy2zdPmQ=w1743-h978-no

Tim l see you installed some spikes on your Saw.

That's just the way it came to me.

It has a very old .404 Windsor chain on it. I will keep it that way. Unfortunately the chain is .058 ga. It belonged to a tool maker that was fussy about his equipment. One of the few runners I've bought.

Unfortunately I never come across any big wood to try the larger displacement saws out in except at the GTG's I try to attend.

That particular saw has a "Made in Peterborough" Pioneer ID plate on it. Joe has the identical saw but it was built in Huron Park.

I need to get out for a visit Brian.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert at chain filing but I'd try different top plate angles and raker depths to see what cuts better in the wood your cutting the most of.

I know for round filing non-safety chisel chain and cutting mainly hard wood, I like about a 30 degree top plate angle and .025 on the rakers. The saws throw nice chips and self feed into the wood well. More top plate angle/bigger raker depths and my Pioneers will chew more than they can handle. You can probably get away with a lot more top plate angle and taking your rakers down more in soft wood though.

For square filing, I'm a novice at best. I mainly wear out good files while filing off a lot of good chain! I've tried a few different top plate angles but still don't have it all figured out. I've tried Hillwilliam's 5° top plate angles in Ponderosa Pine and they make a snow storm of big wood chips. Definitely a good choice

For the dirty oak I cut the most of, I think a little more top plate angle (15° or so) and .020 on the rakers cuts better but I'm still trying to figure all of that out.

I've seen your chisel-filed chains, Brother. I know I can't do any better.

That's just the way it came to me.

It has a very old .404 Windsor chain on it. I will keep it that way. Unfortunately the chain is .058 ga. It belonged to a tool maker that was fussy about his equipment. One of the few runners I've bought.

Unfortunately I never come across any big wood to try the larger displacement saws out in except at the GTG's I try to attend.

That particular saw has a "Made in Peterborough" Pioneer ID plate on it. Joe has the identical saw but it was built in Huron Park.

I need to get out for a visit Brian.

That decal on the Str cover looks like it was sold from the Chainsaw Clinic on Weston Road. My P52 is identical.
My Peterborough made 52 Saw has the Prefix 518 #. and has the same dealer decal.
l remember seeing your saw listed on Kijiji last year. maybe you found another.

Do you know what Mods would have been done on the Saw., Notice the nice chainbrake . Nice
According to the paperwork it had a K&N set up on it, and the holes that were drilled out in the bottom of the muffler. The K&N set up was gone by the time I had got the saw. The cylinder was all stock as far as I could tell. I put new seals and rings and that's it. The chain brake parts came from @Acornhill . The saw itself came from @paul hill . What projects are you working on right now?

That decal on the Str cover looks like it was sold from the Chainsaw Clinic on Weston Road. My P52 is identical.
My Peterborough made 52 Saw has the Prefix 518 #. and has the same dealer decal.
l remember seeing your saw listed on Kijiji last year. maybe you found another.

Yes, Chainsaw Clinic and the serial number is prefixed by 518. I bought it Aug 16, 2015. At our age that's more like a year for sure the way time flies. I wonder how many they sold.

According to the paperwork it had a K&N set up on it, and the holes that were drilled out in the bottom of the muffler. The K&N set up was gone by the time I had got the saw. The cylinder was all stock as far as I could tell. I put new seals and rings and that's it. The chain brake parts came from @Acornhill . The saw itself came from @paul hill . What projects are you working on right now?

Do you have a K&N setup kit? l have never seen how the muffler holes were drilled on your saw.

Curious what differences are there wrt the P51 vs P52Western?
One bug I have with my P51 is why did they point the exhaust at the clutch cover? Did they not care that WE care about these saws?
Agree Tim these do run and sound great

Curious what differences are there wrt the P51 vs P52Western?
One bug I have with my P51 is why did they point the exhaust at the clutch cover? Did they not care that WE care about these saws?
Agree Tim these do run and sound great

To direct the exhaust away from the operator, flip the saw with the muffler facing up, now bend over with the saw like if you were felling a tree and you will soon realize where the exhaust fumes would be flowing without that deflector on the muffler. I really think that Pioneer was more concerned about the operator at that time than they were for getting exhaust stains on the clutch cover. I know a right handed operator would run the saw most of the time with the muffler facing down but in the bush and on steep hilly terrain both sides of the saw will be facing up on any day out cutting and felling.

Latest posts

Back