Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A seal has nothing to do with compression.

The saw has an automatic compression release activated when you pull the starter cord. That wouldn't allow a test to show much compression.

I don't know if you are handy with small engines but I would be checking,

The fuel line and filter in the tank for presence and condition.

Check for spark

Squirt some mix in the carb venturi (about a teaspoon) and see if it starts for a few seconds.

The carb could have some crud in the screen causing it to plug.

Same with the fuel filter.

If you are going to attempt to repair it yourself I can send you a pdf copy of a repair manual and a parts list.

Seals are available.

The toughest part to find on those saws is the plastic air filter cover. They are fragile.
I would appreciate that repair manual, if its not too much trouble.

I would appreciate that repair manual, if its not too much trouble.

I looked again and see you have a P25 and I thought it was a P28E.

The crankshaft seals if you want to replace them (good idea on an old saw) Pioneer PN 428746 crosses to SKF CR 5606, or National (Timken) 472705
They are the same for both sides.

I am including a repair manual for the P26, P28 and 1074. They are very close to your P25 and it should work fine for you. Sorry I missed the fact it's a P25

Also attached is an IPL (parts list) for the P25.

Disassemble the carb and make sure the diaphragms are still soft and pliable. If not put a kit in it. I can't be absolutely sure which carb you have but I believe it's a Tillotson HU-15A. If that's correct, here's a link to a Tillotson manual for HU carbs https://tillotson.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/techinfo_hu_us.pdf

The kit would be HU-15A gaskets and diaphragms only, DG-2HU Repair kit RK-14HU which includes more

Link to the repair manual

https://app.box.com/s/uqriqul7dyixrfdqw40x0q56udc6mh55

People on this thread are very helpful if you have any issues down the road.

Attachments

• Pioneer P20 P21 P25.pdf
    180.8 KB · Views: 11
I looked again and see you have a P25 and I thought it was a P28E.

The crankshaft seals if you want to replace them (good idea on an old saw) Pioneer PN 428746 crosses to SKF CR 5606, or National (Timken) 472705
They are the same for both sides.

I am including a repair manual for the P26, P28 and 1074. They are very close to your P25 and it should work fine for you. Sorry I missed the fact it's a P25

Also attached is an IPL (parts list) for the P25.

Disassemble the carb and make sure the diaphragms are still soft and pliable. If not put a kit in it. I can't be absolutely sure which carb you have but I believe it's a Tillotson HU-15A. If that's correct, here's a link to a Tillotson manual for HU carbs https://tillotson.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/techinfo_hu_us.pdf

The kit would be HU-15A gaskets and diaphragms only, DG-2HU Repair kit RK-14HU which includes more

Link to the repair manual

https://app.box.com/s/uqriqul7dyixrfdqw40x0q56udc6mh55

People on this thread are very helpful if you have any issues down the road.
Thanks, Tim. Not sure if we r on the same page or not, but I do have a p28e, not a p25. Maybe I read ur reply wrong

Attachments

• Pioneer P28 IPL.pdf
    257.6 KB · Views: 5
I am attaching the P28E IPL.

Still an HU but a 15E Sme kits as the ones listed before. Same seals as in the other post as well/

I read the wrong post.

Here are my excuses.

1) I am 67 years old

2) You do know that weed is now legal in Canada, eh man?
Haha, dont beat urself up. My dad is 64, and he was an ol farm boy so hes been logging and making firewood since he could walk. Hes a fountain of knowledge, when he remembers where in the old noggin it is . I have benefited from being surrounded by experience, whether my dad or my uncles, so I know the value of people who have seen it all and done it all. Even if I have to rattle the rocks loose.
Good luck with ur weed

The smoke from the weed in Canada seems to have messed up Mother Nature. Too much rain.
Well at least it sounds like there is hope for this saw. Ive got a mculloch 1010 coming tomorrow that I know runs, but this seems like such a nice saw, I want to make sure I can get this pioneer running. Plus it gives me a chance to work on my dude skills :)

Started working on a Farmsaw this morning at 4:00 AM. Pretty sure I am the first guy into the carb/plumbing since the factory. Pretty clean under the covers. I had it fired up and running the other day. Not entirely happy. As suspected, the diaphragms were a bit stiff. OEM line still sound. I will get some seals for it for good measure, but am going to take it and the P41 (with adjusted buffers) out for a cut today if the rain holds off for a spell.

Bonus was I didn't manage to punch a driver through the nylon when setting the air filter. But, I didn't have my glasses on when I was filing the chain. Ended up meticulously filing one side to 15. Thought it looked odd afterwards.

We'll see how she pulls an 18" semi.

Pioneer - Farmsaw Original (4).JPG Pioneer - Farmsaw Original (8).JPG Pioneer - Farmsaw Original (11).JPG

Put 3 tanks through the Farmsaw today. I will get to the seals for good measure before I run it much more. No hiccups and it performed well. Easy to start, smooth and plenty of pull. OEM coil held it's own which is a good sign. Spat some healthy chips in some smaller wood on the semi-chisel. Good times. I must say, the P41 is noticeably less smooth even with the buffer adjustment. I think the 41's have hardened up with age/use.

Another video so I can remember things down the road. Rambling on about the saw up till 1:30 min. mark. Cutting after 1:30 for those interested.

Pioneer Farmsaw May 2019 (2).JPG

View attachment 738196 Ive been at this thing for about 3 hours. Do you guys think there is hope to salvage it. It came out of the P41S and cylinders seem to be hard to come by.
FWIW, I've got more than a couple of Homelites cylinders that make your rescued one look like NOS. They run just fine. What method are you using to remove the transfer?

Sorry I forgot to ask. Is there such thing as a manual for either of these saws available? Also, is this beast automatic oiling? Thank you again.

I've tried all kinds of stuff. Lol
Homemade hone a real hone but mostly hand sand with two stroke oil and wd40.

A roll of heavier emery paper slid onto a piece o' brakeline for the rougher transfer and some red Scotch-Brite threaded through and wadded up around an eye bolt for the finishing does wonders chucked up in a 3/8's cordless drill.

0213171320a_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back