Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't given up on this Farmsaw yet.Another member here sent me a PM about the parts I need to get it back to running condition again.I've found that the reason why the saw won't run is because the PO put a flywheel on it from a P41 which is a points saw.The Farmsaw is electronic & the 2 are incompatible.The timing was being thrown all over the place.Another thing I noticed was that the saw has an HS125 carb on it & it originally came with an HS147D.My guess is that the governor was giving the PO some problems & he switched out the carb.The HS125 doesn't have the governor.The only concern I have is if the venturi are the same size on the 125 as thery are on the 147.I'll find out more once I get the parts on the saw & get it fired up.

5D70F8AA-A1BC-459D-A7F2-CE47DE71A758.png
Here is a b & w of the three electronic modules used in the Farmsaw, P41, P51 & P61.
Bottom is the P41. Top right should be the one on your Farmsaw. Farmsaw has a flywheel with a sort of gear built into it that interlocks with the starter friction yoke thingy. Same as a small p series, 1074 and probably many more that I am not aware

Somewhere around 95 I was lucky enough to pick up all the left over inventory from our local Pioneer dealers ex mechanic, the shop had closed around 85 - 86 and the mechanic managed to squirrel away everything the shop had had, he started working from home but had little call for parts for the Pioneer saws. He was selling Poulan as a side line, the good kind of Poulans but soon lost that deal also as an embargo on Poulan saws and parts shut him down. In that parts lot were enough new blue modules I have not to date needed to go looking for more.

View attachment 895810
Here is a b & w of the three electronic modules used in the Farmsaw, P41, P51 & P61.
Bottom is the P41. Top right should be the one on your Farmsaw. Farmsaw has a flywheel with a sort of gear built into it that interlocks with the starter friction yoke thingy. Same as a small p series, 1074 and probably many more that I am not aware
Trevor,if you go back to the previous page you'll see my post with the flywheel & electronic module pic & I believe I have the correct module on the saw (blue coil of death).The PO switched out the flywheel because the original flywheel didn't work with the P41 recoil.Hence,all the trouble with not running.It'll start,but can't throttle up.I'm pretty sure that once I put the correct flywheel & recoil back on the saw it'll run just fine.

PogoinTheWoods I have bought five other ones from him. He is reasonable and honest. He is downsizing his collection as he has at least two of most pioneer saws. fxer

Am picking up a farmsaw 11 I bought today sight unseen. It is supposed to be running and is a western model as shown in photo he sent me. It has a different handle than the one shown for a farmsaw 11 on acres site. If I bring it home photo,s later.

I have a 1074 in fairly good shape and am planning to restore it. I am doing the carb now. It has a walbro carb that is fixed high speed jet. Does anyone know if you can substitute a carb that has a high speed adjustment. The choke is separate from the carb and would fit a lot of walbro carbs I would think. Just DO NOT like a fixed jet on anything.

The 1074 and its similar P26 - P28 cousins all came with the fixed H jet carbs, the Tillotson HU and Walbro WA so there may be another carb that will fit but likely the throttle linkages would be different and need modification. The Walbro WT194 might be adaptable, just a guess as I have never had the need or desire to change the carbs.

The 1074 and its similar P26 - P28 cousins all came with the fixed H jet carbs, the Tillotson HU and Walbro WA so there may be another carb that will fit but likely the throttle linkages would be different and need modification. The Walbro WT194 might be adaptable, just a guess as I have never had the need or desire to change the carbs.
Ok, it would be no problem to remove the one screw in the butterfly and change the throttle shaft. I have a WT194 and it IS similar and I was going to just change the cover that has the IMPULSE tube and put the pioneer carb cap on but the 194 works on that impulse line and the pioneer seems to have reed valves to make it pump...it is different under that cover. The only reason I want to try to switch is it just does not sound right at full throttle, it just seems a little out of tune.

I restore and repair old engines and have found this FIXED jet thing a problem....things change in an engine, compression, gas, oil, elevation...EVERYTHING affects your settings and you need to be able to compensate.

You could look at other Walbro WA carbs, they may be more easily adapted. Of the hordes of these small Pioneers I have been into I have not found the H jet carbs to have been any big problem even on saws that sat with old mix in them for years on end, when rebuilding the carbs I just ran a jet drill through the fixed H and they ran fine.I do like adjustable carbs but I have seen far more saws burned up with them as most would lean out the settings to get more RPM out of the engine all the while not knowing they were heading for disaster. Keep us in the loop if you find a carb that will work, it is good information to have for the thread and site.

You could look at other Walbro WA carbs, they may be more easily adapted. Of the hordes of these small Pioneers I have been into I have not found the H jet carbs to have been any big problem even on saws that sat with old mix in them for years on end, when rebuilding the carbs I just ran a jet drill through the fixed H and they ran fine.I do like adjustable carbs but I have seen far more saws burned up with them as most would lean out the settings to get more RPM out of the engine all the while not knowing they were heading for disaster. Keep us in the loop if you find a carb that will work, it is good information to have for the thread and site.
Yes, I know all about leaning an engine to much and a rod out through the crank case. I will look at the WA's. I am just tinkering around here, old saws, Tecumseh, Briggs...it's all I do for a past time. I have a few old saws Pioneer, several Homelites, a 1959 Remington Bantam I just restored. Had TWO Homelite xl-12's with bad coils, put new Tecumseh coils on them, they fit right on, and then transistorized chips and they run PERFECT.

I looked in my Tillotson carb manual and there were a lot of those Tillotson carbs used but it does not specify what saws they fit but finding HU bodied carbs should not be a real big task. It seems though that there were several different venturi bores from 9/16 to 3/8" in that series of carbs.

Could you elaborate, please? Part number maybe?
Could you elaborate, please? Part number maybe?
Tecumseh coil for POINTS engine part # 30560A. 20 bucks or so on amazon or ebay. The square hole in the Tecumseh is just a tad bigger but you can silicone or slide a tiny wedge in OR bend one of the laminates over but the homelite has a clip usually with a screw in the back behind the coil to hold the clip on...I just left it as it is SO little play. A nova ll chip or any ignition module chip will work with ANY coil so you don't have to worry about the COIL matching the saw as long as it FITS on. It works...this is the saw with the coil on it

Back