Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCF2605.JPGI picked up the pioneer saw yesterday and it runs ok but needs idle adjusted. Also got a remington powerlite that needs repair on recoil' A good day. I have a clip of the pioneer running but could,nt upload,something about administrator. DSCF2603.JPG

I just closed on a deal with Trevor (XL130) & have a nice running Farmsaw coming in the near future & the parts I need for my other Farmsaw.I'm pretty stoked! I might have to burn some midnight oil to get the other Farmsaw running as right now is cutting season for me during the day.I've got a good jump on the season already due to no rainfall & real dry conditions here in W.N.Y.

I sincerely hope the Pioneer Gods smile on you. If you have the luck with yours I've had with mine, chainsaw problems are a thing of your past; especially with 2 of them.
I ran (will run again if I need her) my FarmSaw at 50:1 100LL Avgas with no problem.
I drain the fuel tank and let her idle until she quits running before I store her for any length of time.
A splash of gas mixture in her throat works like a charm for the first start of a season.
Lou
Call me picky but I don't ever see using anything with ethanol! Even if purchased in the dead of summer most pump gas tanks contained ethanol. Trying to mix oil and anything that holds/draws water seems foolish to me!!!
I think the most I've ever paid for Avgas was $6 a gallon. The little ethanol-free chainsaw fuel cans are much more expensive than that!
Both of my Husqvarnas have non EPA mufflers. The FarmSaw never had one.

Pioneer 1073:For some reason the fuel tank is being pressurized and as a result the saw is shutting down after about 30 seconds of run time.According to the IPL there is supposed to be a pressure relief valve in the fuel system but for the life of me I can't find one.any info would be appreciated.

I sincerely hope the Pioneer Gods smile on you. If you have the luck with yours I've had with mine, chainsaw problems are a thing of your past; especially with 2 of them.
I ran (will run again if I need her) my FarmSaw at 50:1 100LL Avgas with no problem.
I drain the fuel tank and let her idle until she quits running before I store her for any length of time.
A splash of gas mixture in her throat works like a charm for the first start of a season.
Lou
Call me picky but I don't ever see using anything with ethanol! Even if purchased in the dead of summer most pump gas tanks contained ethanol. Trying to mix oil and anything that holds/draws water seems foolish to me!!!
I think the most I've ever paid for Avgas was $6 a gallon. The little ethanol-free chainsaw fuel cans are much more expensive than that!
Both of my Husqvarnas have non EPA mufflers. The FarmSaw never had one.
Thanks Lou! I stopped using ethanol gas about 3 yrs.ago & haven't had any problems since.I also put a stabilizer in my fuel as I never know how long a saw will be sitting.I've had saws sit with treated fuel in them for 2 yrs.& they've fired right up! It sounds like you've taken very good care of your Farmsaw & I plan on doing the same with both of mine.

Here are some pics of original Farmsaw starter assy. you can see the setup it has a decompresson valve which screws into cyl. The str pinion gear is a weak link and l would advise not to use without a working decomp valve.
The flat baffle plate in the muffler has the spark arrester screen similar to the P41 muffler but the size is not the same , different part #'s
The Farmsaw 11 has a oval muffler with spark arrester on it.
You mention you had a P41 str on your Farmsaw which is completely different set up , their fore your flywheel has been switched?, What cyl is on the saw?
any leads on where to get a complete starter assembly for a farmsaw? I need one for my saw here in the Philippines. Thanks very much guys.

Ed i just went through this. There is an aftermarket coil on Amazon that I used. They even made it blue. It has worked so far for me but I had to reuse my old laminates and bend the tab going to the switch.

PARTSRUN Coil Ignition Module for HOMELITE Super XL, XL12, SXL Old Blue, Ignition Coil Replaces 94605,A94605S,Replaces Raisman 170524322,ZF-IG-A00682 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JCG7GS...abc_ZMMGJK14T1S9Q8GTH9XZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pioneer 1073:For some reason the fuel tank is being pressurized and as a result the saw is shutting down after about 30 seconds of run time.According to the IPL there is supposed to be a pressure relief valve in the fuel system but for the life of me I can't find one.any info would be appreciated.
Never had a 1073 apart but some saws relieve tank pressure through the gas cap and others have a hose from top of tank , back through in front of carb and open end in clutch area. Did not see any relief valve just a hose Has to be some way to balance air differential in tank when gas is drawn out of it. . fxer

Thanks Lou! I stopped using ethanol gas about 3 yrs.ago & haven't had any problems since.I also put a stabilizer in my fuel as I never know how long a saw will be sitting.I've had saws sit with treated fuel in them for 2 yrs.& they've fired right up! It sounds like you've taken very good care of your Farmsaw & I plan on doing the same with both of mine.
I always use non ethanol gas or av gas but no fuel stabilizer. Put some bardhol stabilizer in one time and it gummed up tank filter with white particles coating it. Now just use good gas and drain and put fresh stuff in every six months.One of my farmsaws I bought new and only changed the plug on it five years ago as I flooded it. Nothing else in forty one years except chains and bars. It is one of my three go to saws. It and my stihl pro 360 cut at least 20 cords each every year for my wife,s cousin and myself. fxer

Ed i just went through this. There is an aftermarket coil on Amazon that I used. They even made it blue. It has worked so far for me but I had to reuse my old laminates and bend the tab going to the switch.

PARTSRUN Coil Ignition Module for HOMELITE Super XL, XL12, SXL Old Blue, Ignition Coil Replaces 94605,A94605S,Replaces Raisman 170524322,ZF-IG-A00682 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JCG7GS...abc_ZMMGJK14T1S9Q8GTH9XZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks Jason,but as far as I know the module on the Farmsaw is good,putting out good spark.

Never had a 1073 apart but some saws relieve tank pressure through the gas cap and others have a hose from top of tank , back through in front of carb and open end in clutch area. Did not see any relief valve just a hose Has to be some way to balance air differential in tank when gas is drawn out of it. . fxer
Fxer,thanks for the response.The gas cap is not vented since it's on the lower left side of the tank and no hose coming from the top.However,the IPL shows a air vent valve kit under the starter consisting of three items and held in place by a welch plug same design as you see in some carbs.My next move is to try and track down a kit which might just be a wild goose chase,but i'll never know if I don't try.These old saw are a lot of fun,keeps the brain active. Dave.

Fxer,thanks for the response.The gas cap is not vented since it's on the lower left side of the tank and no hose coming from the top.However,the IPL shows a air vent valve kit under the starter consisting of three items and held in place by a welch plug same design as you see in some carbs.My next move is to try and track down a kit which might just be a wild goose chase,but i'll never know if I don't try.These old saw are a lot of fun,keeps the brain active. Dave.

inadequate fuel tank venting was a problem that pioneer was aware of on the 1073 model saws if the serial number was 788953 thru to 790181. Check the position of the V-slot on the welch plug and see if it is at 9 o'clock or 11 o'clock position. lt should be the later. need to change it otherwise the fuel tank pressure was rise and cause running issues with saw.
You may also have a damage rubber valve which needs to be replaced from the Tank vent kit.

inadequate fuel tank venting was a problem that pioneer was aware of on the 1073 model saws if the serial number was 788953 thru to 790181. Check the position of the V-slot on the welch plug and see if it is at 9 o'clock or 11 o'clock position. lt should be the later. need to change it otherwise the fuel tank pressure was rise and cause running issues with saw.
You may also have a damage rubber valve which needs to be replaced from the Tank vent kit.
I took a look at a 1073 IPL and found "item 52, part number 473589 Air Vent Valve (packaged)". Neither part number 473589 nor 507473589 (likely Weed Eater part number after Pioneer was purchased) show anything.
https://usermanual.wiki/Manual/pioneer1073chainsawipl.1544923508 (1073 IPL link)
Per Beavers (below, thank you), part number 474753 is a suitable substitute and I easily found that part using Pioneer 474753 with a Google search.

I'm not familiar with a welch plug. Please educate me. Any visual clues would be most helpful. Is the vent below that plug? TIA
(welch plug YouTube)

I took a look at a 1073 IPL and found "item 52, part number 473589, Air Vent Valve (packaged)". Neither that part number nor 507473589 (likely Weed Eater part number after Pioneer was purchased) showed anything. Anyone have better luck?
https://usermanual.wiki/Manual/pioneer1073chainsawipl.1544923508 (1073 IPL link)
I'm not familiar with a welch plug. Please educate me. Any visual clues would be most helpful.
This topic has been previously discussed on earlier aposting . Pictures were in the post on the service bulletin. #637. l think l have some of the 473589 and get pics out

Anyone have any ideas as to where I can buy the tank vent kit for the 1073 ser#790132 or at least the welch plug? If I can find a plug I'll take my chances that the original components may just need a good cleaning.

Anyone have any ideas as to where I can buy the tank vent kit for the 1073 ser#790132 or at least the welch plug? If I can find a plug I'll take my chances that the original components may just need a good cleaning.
Read the post, two above yours. I think, Beavers claims he might have some. Good guy to deal with.

Back