Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaking tank divider has kept this one on the shelf for some time. Is removal of the divider and bedding it in JB weld the general consensus? The divider is intact, with what appears to be the partial remnants of a thin coating of light grey epoxy material that has released. Given the limited use, I am gathering it came from the factory this way, but the epoxy failed to bond well in the tank environment. I could try some Seal-All. It has held up somewhat on the fuel cap vent retrofit from a quite few years back. I don’t know if there was a preferred manufacturer fix when/if this arose back in the day.

View attachment 1107847

I have successfully made the repair using 2 part epoxy without splitting the case. It can be tricky installing the plate thru the hole. l use the method of axle grease or you can use a dab super glue on the fore finger so plate does not fall off fore finger and turn saw up so that the starter side is facing down . after the glue sets , Pin the edges a couple times as added security so plate does not fall out.
Pioneer started to Pin the edges around the plate and Poulan stopped that process and was running into problems with the adhesive loosening.
As Mark mentioned their is a Bulletin out on the issue.
l have that Bulletin Squirred around here somewhere to.

I have decided to restore a Pioneer P50 saw that was given to me. Guy said it would not run, and not having a coil is probably the reason. I was just wondering if all these saws were electronic ignition. Also, any thoughts on buying a used coil? Or can I source a new one somewhere? Thanks in advance for any help. I will probably be asking for more help before this is over.

l am pretty sure l have those coils here for the 3pcs ign on your P50 Saw. Let me know if your still looking.

Thanks. I also looked up a few other coils and saw that someone did some minor modifying to a Husky 61 coil and was able to use it on a Pioneer Farmsaw. I ain't giving up on the ol girl yet.
You can try a coil from a 365. You can elongate the one hole and make a hold down/tap for the rear boss. I swapped the 3 piece on an early 50 years ago using a run of coils they used on the Roper 3.7. Had to re-time a bit, but it works great. Had a large core that I could drill and use the bosses as is on the 50 cylinder.

Leaking tank divider has kept this one on the shelf for some time. Is removal of the divider and bedding it in JB weld the general consensus? The divider is intact, with what appears to be the partial remnants of a thin coating of light grey epoxy material that has released. Given the limited use, I am gathering it came from the factory this way, but the epoxy failed to bond well in the tank environment. I could try some Seal-All. It has held up somewhat on the fuel cap vent retrofit from a quite few years back. I don’t know if there was a preferred manufacturer fix when/if this arose back in the day.

View attachment 1107847
I have not got time to search out that service bulletin, seems I never scanned it and its out in the shop amongst stacks of stuff. I do remember it didn't really say too much other then to split the cases, clean it all up good and secure it back in with some stuff from back then that I couldn't find anymore.

I do have the service manual for it, if you would like that let me know. Its about a 40mb file so I don't know if I can email one that big. If needed I could print it to like 4 smaller PDF files.

I have not got time to search out that service bulletin, seems I never scanned it and its out in the shop amongst stacks of stuff. I do remember it didn't really say too much other then to split the cases, clean it all up good and secure it back in with some stuff from back then that I couldn't find anymore.

I do have the service manual for it, if you would like that let me know. Its about a 40mb file so I don't know if I can email one that big. If needed I could print it to like 4 smaller PDF files.
Thanks Mark.

No worries on the manual and I appreciate the insight. You sent a bunch of manuals a few years back. I just didn’t want to jump into it impulsively and figure to do it properly. Nice to see some of your collection in that video that was posted. Mighty fine Partner that Pete pointed out. Didn’t realize it went for a ride.

I have successfully made the repair using 2 part epoxy without splitting the case. It can be tricky installing the plate thru the hole. l use the method of axle grease or you can use a dab super glue on the fore finger so plate does not fall off fore finger and turn saw up so that the starter side is facing down . after the glue sets , Pin the edges a couple times as added security so plate does not fall out.
Pioneer started to Pin the edges around the plate and Poulan stopped that process and was running into problems with the adhesive loosening.
As Mark mentioned their is a Bulletin out on the issue.
l have that Bulletin Squirred around here somewhere to.
Thanks for posting. I’ll fix it up right.

Thanks Mark.

No worries on the manual and I appreciate the insight. You sent a bunch of manuals a few years back. I just didn’t want to jump into it impulsively and figure to do it properly. Nice to see some of your collection in that video that was posted. Mighty fine Partner that Pete pointed out. Didn’t realize it went for a ride.

Cory I'm glad you liked the video, I didn't know anything about it going to be made till minutes before it did. I'm glad I was able to deal for the Partner and hope to show it went to a good place.. to keep this on track here, there were a couple good Pioneers in that video too..

Mark, is this the service manual?

Attachments

• 405, 455, 525, 655 Serv Manual.compressed.pdf
    8.9 MB · Views: 1

View attachment 1107847

View attachment 1107847

Cory l am curious does the clutch side case half stamped 476490 on your 655 . front Btm edge behind the clutch cover.

Thx.

Latest posts

Back