Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked it up. I'm currently only after the 42, 52, and 62 since they all look the same. Maybe someday I'll expand to the other P series Pioneers. BTW, this is my first ever Pioneer. Well, I do have the PP455, but it doesn't run yet, and I'll probably sell it for a P42.

I like the PP455 it just aint a P62 LOL

pioneer 1420 and 1200a

i just got a 1420 nice shape all is there been setting long time needs fuel lines and carb work and the 1200a pioneer is in nice shape not been used much as well

I'll quit when I have a P42, P52, and P62. You see, if one is a x2, then all three have to be a x2, lol. I can't have a P40, P51, and a P62. Might as well get the last version of each. Yeah, I know, that's called OCD:)

But what about a RA, then a 620super, then a 650, then a 750, and what about a 800, and a 850? Now those are the good old ones.

who makes a bar that will fit the pioneer 1420

who makes a bar that will fit the 1420 all the bars i have at the barn will not fit i have ?????

Hey guys! You all probably thought I was dead by now eh! Been quite busy, working lots and spending time with my girl and whatnot. ;) Found this little gem in the pawnshop on Friday - $79.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Couldn't believe my eyes. This is one of the most well-taken-care-of work saws I've come across. I know it was used a lot because the inside was dusty as all heck, but the outside is near mint! Just a little bit of paint missing around the bottom and the handle where one would expect it. Otherwise it's immaculate. Even has a 26" bar onboard. Needs a new chain badly though. This one started right up with fresh gas at home, I think 5 of 6 pulls. Can't wait to bury it in a log! It's a bit of a beast but I'll have to take it out cutting firewood someday this year.

I actually bought it as part of a three-saw deal - got the P51, a '00 Jonsered 2171, and a $50 Jonsered 70E "parts saw" for $250, taxes in. The 2171 was only tagged at $129! WTH??? It started in 5 pulls with great compression, and is in excellent condition in and out, except for a missing brake handle. Big deal. It'll make a good backup if the ported 371XP ever calves, though it's been stronger than ever this year.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers guys :)

Hey guys! You all probably thought I was dead by now eh! Been quite busy, working lots and spending time with my girl and whatnot. ;) Found this little gem in the pawnshop on Friday - $79.

That's a very nice P51. It is rare to find one with the exhaust pointing straight down.
Sometimes you just have to pay the asking price.

450 question

Hi everyone.I have a Pioneer 450 in the shed that was my dads.from what i can remember he purchased it in the 70s second hand.
I havent played with it for a few years now but last time i did it was a runner.Is it worth anything?...or are they common?

Cheers David

Hi David, we don't see many of the 450's down under, to saw what its worth is always a tough question, it depends on condition, running? and of course what someone is willing to pay for it. Post some photos, and describe it as best you can, maybe post a video on youtube of it running and ask for offers. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Justin

Hi David, we don't see many of the 450's down under, to saw what its worth is always a tough question, it depends on condition, running? and of course what someone is willing to pay for it. Post some photos, and describe it as best you can, maybe post a video on youtube of it running and ask for offers. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Justin

Thanks Justin.Probably should keep it running and hang onto it for a bit of fun.
will post some pics one day when my wife has time cause im bloody useless. just wondered if many are about more then anything.

Cheers David

PP455 oil tank repaired

Paul
Good luck with the 455. Let us know how it turns out. I know that saw is your favourite.

Hi Jeff, yes I love that beast, I keep my eyes open for the next step up, (PP655, P51,P61...) but never seem to be able to connect, yet...;someone keeps gobbling them up when available....hmmm. I was in awe when I saw your collection.
Still looking for a replacement cylinder for the PP405. The P39 is next to get my attention, it came almost complete, too good for a donor saw. Maybe the PP405 chainbrake will be the temp donor for the P39...

I have the PP455 tanks glued up, and ran the saw this afternoon after drying for 2 days. Used permatex motoseal. Hopefully it will last awhile. Pretty simple fix. If all is well by tomorrow afternoon (only mix gas in gas tank and oil in oil tank), I will re-tune and chew through some maple. Thanks pioneerguy600 for the prompt response.
Paul
attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 194822
View attachment 194830

I think the P62 I'm waiting on will be even nicer. I won't be keeping both of them, so you might see the P60 back on the block after it's all squared away. Here's the P62. It's coming from another AS member, but the transaction was handled through eBay.

$(KGrHqF,!gsE4oPfbNlIBORKUZ0BZg~~0_12.JPG
That saw would feel at home in New Zealand,Id even find a place for it to sleep

Hi Jeff, yes I love that beast, I keep my eyes open for the next step up, (PP655, P51,P61...) but never seem to be able to connect, yet...;someone keeps gobbling them up when available....hmmm. I was in awe when I saw your collection.
Still looking for a replacement cylinder for the PP405. The P39 is next to get my attention, it came almost complete, too good for a donor saw. Maybe the PP405 chainbrake will be the temp donor for the P39...

I have the PP455 tanks glued up, and ran the saw this afternoon after drying for 2 days. Used permatex motoseal. Hopefully it will last awhile. Pretty simple fix. If all is well by tomorrow afternoon (only mix gas in gas tank and oil in oil tank), I will re-tune and chew through some maple. Thanks pioneerguy600 for the prompt response.
Paul

Good to hear you got it glued up, I hear that that Permatex Moto seal is good stuff but I have not used it yet, should be a good long lasting fix. Incoming rep.

I've got a couple of questions about the Farmsaw if someone can help me out. First,where is the impulse line on a Farmsaw,and second does anyone know the P/N for the carb kit? Thanks a bunch, Dan :msp_confused:

A farmsaw gets impulse through the carb body, so there is no external impulse line. Most of them use a walbro SDC carb, so you need a K-10 SDC kit. I'm not sure what you need if it's a tillotson carb, rk-23 maybe, but everyone I've seen had a walbro.

A farmsaw gets impulse through the carb body, so there is no external impulse line. Most of them use a walbro SDC carb, so you need a K-10 SDC kit. I'm not sure what you need if it's a tillotson carb, rk-23 maybe, but everyone I've seen had a walbro.

Thanks for the info DSS,thats what I needed to know. I changed the gas line and filter so I guess that the diaphram's probably shot since it's not pulling fuel through the line. Dan

Well, that didn't last long: oil/gas tank divider PP455; still ongoing

Good to hear you got it glued up, I hear that that Permatex Moto seal is good stuff but I have not used it yet, should be a good long lasting fix. .

Back to square one, but I have more mixed cleaning solution now. I got 2 cuts before the Permatex motoseal patch let loose. Tried to save a few dollars and used what I owned. So not the right stuff for this application. I will try something thicker, this stuff is pretty thin, very "watery". It does not dry to a hard seal. like what was originally holding it together from the factory. Now to scrape it out and start again.

Its a common problem with these saws, clean up the parts and glue the plate back in place using three bond, Hondabond, Dirko or the like.
(dirko red or grey)?

What is your product preference... If you had to buy a tube of those choices.? I will see what the local town has to offer. The salespeople may not know.
Which one has anyone used successfully?
I have some jb-weld, would this hold up to gas and oil?

Ignore that, I will buy the correct stuff in the big city. I just need to know what to buy, the right stuff.
Thanks again
Paul B
I just want to cut wood (the websites for the products seem to think I should be,or I am a chemist)

Permanent Fix - Plate Oil Tank Divider

Back to square one, but I have more mixed cleaning solution now. I got 2 cuts before the Permatex motoseal patch let loose. Tried to save a few dollars and used what I owned. So not the right stuff for this application. I will try something thicker, this stuff is pretty thin, very "watery". It does not dry to a hard seal. like what was originally holding it together from the factory. Now to scrape it out and start again.

(dirko red or grey)?

What is your product preference... If you had to buy a tube of those choices.? I will see what the local town has to offer. The salespeople may not know.
Which one has anyone used successfully?
I have some jb-weld, would this hold up to gas and oil?

Ignore that, I will buy the correct stuff in the big city. I just need to know what to buy, the right stuff.
Thanks again
Paul B
I just want to cut wood (the websites for the products seem to think I should be,or I am a chemist)

If you want to fix this plate permanently, use Devcon Aluminum Putty 10610. Pioneer used to use Devcon in production to fix the plate. It is expensive, but is great material. I use it for repairs like this, and to repair holes or damage to castings. Of course both surfaces must be clean and oil free. Paul

Latest posts

Back