Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pick this saw up. But am a bit confused. Recoil states it being a
P62 but the tag states it as a P61EX. I always thought the P62's were
a yellow color and the 61's were the lime green. This saw is the lime
green. Appears to be all original but you never know. I also have a spare
chain brake clutch cover thats green with a perfect P62 decal. Should this
saw have a chain brake or not. I thought all P62's did.

Lee

PioneerP62P61007.jpg

PioneerP62P61006.jpg

PioneerP62P61005.jpg

PioneerP62P61004.jpg

PioneerP62P61009.jpg

PioneerP62P61008.jpg

Lee,
I regret to inform you that you have been duped. That saw is obviously fake, but being the generous person that I am I'll take it off your hands, and I'll cover the shipping to CA.
No thanks necessary, that's what friends do for each other.

Lee,
I regret to inform you that you have been duped. That saw is obviously fake, but being the generous person that I am I'll take it off your hands, and I'll cover the shipping to CA.
No thanks necessary, that's what friends do for each other.

Ya, ok, I'll get right on it.

Lee

Also doe's anyone know what the EX stands for on the tag.
This saw also has more snot than any other big P series saws
i have. It absolutly rips. running 3/8 chisel square ground.
Notice the muffler mod. Looks a Stihl 090 muffler grill.
Lee

Very interesting saw. Just my 2 cents on it. The P61 and later P62 saws were both yellow. The later P62 HP pioneer Partner saws were orange. I believe all the saws had an optional chain cover without a chainbreak. Not everyone liked the chain break. The EX?????? Experimental??? I have seen a couple of modified saws done by the Pioneer tech staff. One was a Pioneer Super 620 with a verticle spark plug. Top cover modified etc.
I am sure there is an interesting story on that saw. Nice find.

Very interesting saw. Just my 2 cents on it. The P61 and later P62 saws were both yellow. The later P62 HP pioneer Partner saws were orange. I believe all the saws had an optional chain cover without a chainbreak. Not everyone liked the chain break. The EX?????? Experimental??? I have seen a couple of modified saws done by the Pioneer tech staff. One was a Pioneer Super 620 with a verticle spark plug. Top cover modified etc.
I am sure there is an interesting story on that saw. Nice find.

Were/ are those saws designated similarly with the "S" and "F" suffix for "Safety" (chainbrake) and "Full wrap'? As was my P51F.

Hi Lee, I had my eye on that saw, but never pursued it. :msp_wink:

The saw is indeed a P61... I'm not sure of the EX... I'll check my 61's and see if either have that. It might be an early prefix for a "Western."
They did make the P62's in that same color as the rest of the P series. The yellow/orange did not come till Partner joined up. That exhaust deflector was added by a previous owner, it is not a Pioneer part. His other Pioneers he had for sale had the same thing.

As far as I know, the yellow/green P62's all had black trim work, I've never saw a P62 with the green handles, but not saying they don't exist. The latest 61's had black trim, but most of the 61's and all 50's, 51's, and 60's had the dark green trim.

I'd say the previous owner had installed early P62 starter cover and a P60/50 clutch cover on your P61. The seller did have a few Pioneers. The P61's did have chain brakes, (P60's were optional with brakes, all the 60's I have don't have brakes, but the 61's do) so you'll need to get the 61 decals from Joe and you'll be 100% as it should be.
If you need any part's... you have my number.

Here's one of my early P62's when they were the yellow/green.

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3767.jpg

Last edited:
Were/ are those saws designated similarly with the "S" and "F" suffix for "Safety" (chainbrake) and "Full wrap'? As was my P51F.

Good call Jon, some think the S was for super, (no such thing)
I believe it also was for Saftey.

Yes That is correct. S Saftey (chainbreak) F ( full wrap handle) H ( half wrap handle) W (Western)

All my Pioneer saws P38-P62 have the Black frames as well.

What ignition is on the P61EX??

Yes That is correct. S Saftey (chainbreak) F ( full wrap handle) H ( half wrap handle) W (Western)

All my Pioneer saws P38-P62 have the Black frames as well.

What ignition is on the P61EX??

I'm willing to bet it's the blue 50/60/61 style. The early 62's like the pic of mine I posted had that module as well. I think the newer P62 module came with the Partner joining.

Hi Ed, Ya i'm awhere the muff mod was not factory.
I was just confused by the color, the P61EX tag the
having P62 with the green color. Just thought all 62's
were the yellow,orange color. But then my spare clutch
cover with brake is also green.
I just checked my other P sreies. All the 61's i have are
stamped P61F as well as my P60's, My P62 and P65 are
stamped P62CBW and P65CBW. I'm assuming the CBW
stands for chainbrake, western model. I knew that F stood
for full wrap but never knew what S stood for.
And like i said, this thing rips. Has more power than any
of my other big P series.

Lee

Hi Ed, Ya i'm awhere the muff mod was not factory.
I was just confused by the color, the P61EX tag the
having P62 with the green color. Just thought all 62's
were the yellow,orange color. But then my spare clutch
cover with brake is also green.
I just checked my other P sreies. All the 61's i have are
stamped P61F as well as my P60's, My P62 and P65 are
stamped P62CBW and P65CBW. I'm assuming the CBW
stands for chainbrake, western model. I knew that F stood
for full wrap but never knew what S stood for.
And like i said, this thing rips. Has more power than any
of my other big P series.

Lee

I'm sure I'll enjoy running it just as much..............:msp_sneaky:

I was still having problems with my P50 not running right, I put a carb kit in it. But it still bogs in the cut. Iv come to the conclusion that this is a "Frankenstein" carb The L needle, and H needle are different styles. The idle screw is at an angle to where there is no way you can adjust it without removing the carb.
Anyone have the PN for the carb I SHOULD have?

Lee

PioneerP62P61007.jpg

PioneerP62P61006.jpg

PioneerP62P61005.jpg

PioneerP62P61004.jpg

PioneerP62P61009.jpg

PioneerP62P61008.jpg

Great find. I sure like that bar. I've never seen a muffler like that on a Pioneer - maybe it was an east coast thing.

Lee

PioneerP62P61007.jpg

PioneerP62P61006.jpg

PioneerP62P61005.jpg

PioneerP62P61004.jpg

PioneerP62P61009.jpg

PioneerP62P61008.jpg

The P62 started with Pioneer and continued with the Pioneer/Partner brand. I had one of each at one time and yes the P62 should have a chainbrake not necessarily the P61.

I just made a donation and believe this is a good cause for one of are own down loggers.
this touches me in a personal way, that this is a very dangerous profession to be in, as my Father almost died 3 years ago falling. A tree had "barber-chaired" and thew him back 15-20 feet. The tree then twisted on the stump and as he rose to his feet he heard the tree falling towards him. It was to late as the tree came down right on top of him. he survived thanks to a couple of previous fallen trees. One month in the hospital and he is now 2" shorter, had two broken verds, most of his scalp was still in his hard hat, and wheres a titanium body brace most of the time. he also had to re-learn how to speak and his memory is slowly coming back. He did physically recover quite quickly to the surprise of doctors, but now stays out of the woods after falling for 30+ years.
I just thought I would share this as some people can relate and others can see how easy it is to almost loose a loved one in this line of work.
be safe out there and help out one are own.....

Last edited:
655BP gas cap

I've got a Poulan 655BP with the grey gas cap that I'm told swell's because of the gas and it is so tight I have to use pliers to remove it. I've also been told that the Pioneer black caps don't swell. Can anybody tell me which models of Pioneer's share the same fuel cap as the P62? I want to start searching eBay for a replacement cap.

Latest posts

Back