Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help with cylinder ID

So I just received a bunch of Pioneer parts that I bought off eBay. Some are good and some are probably not repairable. Got some good stuff though and haven't been through it all yet.

Looking for some help to ID a couple of good cylinders and pistons though.

Both cylinders look like P series saws. Both have Pioneer decomp valves and everything looks like they're a 51 and 61 cylinder.

#1 has the part number 433047 stamped in the base and measures 52.4 mm. It measures the same as a 51 cylinder I have but that part number doesn't match the IPL I have for that saw.

#2 has the number 32612 and Mahle stamped on the base. It measures 57.1 mm. It also doesn't match the IPL I have for a P60.

Anyone know what they fit? I'm hoping they'll work on a 51 and 60 since those are the saws I have.

Thanks

Ha that toque brings back memories! My dad worked at OMC/Pioneer, in Peterborough Ontario, from 1968- 1977. My brother and I both had one of those toques. Lots of Pioneer stuff still around Peterborough and the Kawarthas. I'll post up if I come across anything.

#1....433047 = P52

Would there possibly be a number 4 on the front of that number 32612 you posted, making it 432612?
My guess then it would be for a p65 or its close cousin the PP655.

Pioneerguy, Thanks for the info on the P52. It makes sense after looking at the ignition mounting holes compared to a 51. Obvious differences.

No "4" before those numbers. I did note the ignition mounting holes look to be the same as on a 51 and 60 cylinders so I'm assuming it takes those types of ignitions. Will this cylinder work on a P60?

The second pic is comparing the ignition mounting holes of the new cylinder to a 51 cylinder that I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20150101_221400898.jpg
    IMG_20150101_221400898.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20150101_221432003.jpg
    IMG_20150101_221432003.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 25
Looks like a P51 cylinder. Check the exhaust port. I remember something about one having a web in the middle of the port and one as a full port?? Might be the different number.

That is strange as most Pioneer numbers start with a #4.

That cylinder should fit on the 60. The pistons are usually the thing that don`t interchange due to wrist pin size differences.

Thanks guys. Im hoping it's a P60 or similar based on the 57 mm bore diameter as well as the ignition mounting holes. Sounds like definitely a little bit of a mystery based on the part number. Don't have my 60 apart so I can't say 100% but I'm hopeful that it will work. The cylinder came with a good piston, wrist pin, and rings ( Now to check the ignitions that came with the cylinders for spark.

Hope it all works out for you, the P60 may have a smaller diameter wrist pin than the later P62, 65 and PP655. That means that the rod end may be smaller also, I remember talk of this but I have not changed a piston in a P60. I know that fellow member, P62 ,would know this for certain and If I remember correctly it was him that I heard this from.
The Pioneer Partner P65 has the piston pin as a Pro 655. The P62 is the same size as the P60 and P61, the only differenc is one end is capped (exhaust side) The crank bearings changed on the P65 and Pro655. They used a smaller pin with thrust washers.
I have a P50 with a P62 cylinder and piston. The ignition and flywheel are from a P42HP. The saw is not pretty but runs and cuts very well!

The Pioneer Partner P65 has the piston pin as a Pro 655. The P62 is the same size as the P60 and P61, the only differenc is one end is capped (exhaust side) The crank bearings changed on the P65 and Pro655. They used a smaller pin with thrust washers.
I have a P50 with a P62 cylinder and piston. The ignition and flywheel are from a P42HP. The saw is not pretty but runs and cuts very well!

I checked the pin for that piston and cylinder and it is capped the exhaust side. So, this should be a 62 cylinder, correct? And it should work on either the 51 or 60 that I have?

That sounds like a heck of a parts and pieces saw that you have but I bet it does run hard!IMG_20150104_171148954.jpg

Thanks for sharing this info. Without it I'd be lost.

Thanks J, that`s good to know and I will try to remember that for the future.

I checked the pin for that piston and cylinder and it is capped the exhaust side. So, this should be a 62 cylinder, correct? And it should work on either the 51 or 60 that I have?

That sounds like a heck of a parts and pieces saw that you have but I bet it does run hard!View attachment 392021

Thanks for sharing this info. Without it I'd be lost.
Keep in mind
To run the P62 cylinder you will need and a coil and flywheel from a 42,52 or 62 All used the same.
The 65 and Pro saw used a larger flywheel 4 1/4 inch and maybe the P45 and 2 Plus saws P39 Plus and P52 Plus
I could be wrong on the capped piston pin. It was most like intended for the other side not exhaust. Too be used with boost port cylinders. Your piston has it with the ring stops and they do not face the exhaust port!

G,day, I just bought a 650 pioneer. Where do you pioneer fans think the best source for a carb rebuild kit is?.

Pioneer 650 used the Tillotson HL carbs on them, very easy to get rebuild kits just about anyplace for them. The 650 colors changed several time during their production run so its a crap shoot, just try to match the color as closely as you can to the one you have.

Back