Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e13fddeba250feae9cccef3fb2c1f805.jpg
P25
6944178ddd4e938d29bb690f55410aac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Tim!
My books and charts say the P25 came with a bar#474254 in 3/8 pitch with Duraguard chain in .058 gauge, it also states other bars and chain could be substituted. Hope this is some help but nothing carved in stone as bars and chain often got swapped over the years since leaving the factory.
by the dealer if the purchaser wished a different size.

Thank you very much for that information. I can now go ahead and order up some chain with confidence knowing my dad bought a standard new P25 from the dealer back in ‘74.

Maybe you could try that Husky dealer saw shop on Weston Rd to see if he has stock if you're in a rush for it. One for a small Poulan one would be the same.

That would likely work but you may need to file / reshape the pin to work. You might have to cut the bolt as well.

It should be easy to do with basic hand tools.

You could pick one up at a Poulan parts place or a Husky shop. Not sure where you are in TO but there's a Husky shop on Weston Rd, Chain saw clinic. Not cheap but if your in a hurry for it.....
That's a loaded question as it boils down to personal preference and cost. Oregon and Carlton cutters are a little softer so easier to sharpen and easier on the files. Stihl is harder on files but stays sharper a little longer.

I think Stihl is preferred by most frequent users but is often quite a bit more expensive depending upon where you live. If the guy is offering a Stihl chain for $30 I would go with that over Oregon.

I don't think one is faster than the other as far as I can tell.

If someone was throwing free chains at me I would like them to be Stihl. For the infrequent cutting I do, I like semi chisel chains as I cut some dirty wood and it says sharper longer.

I believe the Stihl semi chisel chain is Rapid Micro.

I called my Toronto Stihl dealer and he told me he could fix me up with a Stihl standard cross-cut chain for $22.50. He says he could spin one up in 5 minutes. He didn’t have any semi-chisel chain. Another Stihl dealer told me he had a prepackaged Stihl chain for me for $24.99. I’m wondering if there is any difference between prepackaged or custom made?

I also called the Chain Saw Clinic and when I told him I had a Pioneer saw that pretty much ended the conversation as he didn’t want anything to do with it telling me that the Husqvarna chain tensioner was different from the Pioneer and I would have to look elsewhere.

On the positive side the tensioner I ordered on eBay shipped within a couple of hours of me ordering it yesterday.

I called my Toronto Stihl dealer and he told me he could fix me up with a Stihl standard cross-cut chain for $22.50. He says he could spin one up in 5 minutes. He didn’t have any semi-chisel chain. Another Stihl dealer told me he had a prepackaged Stihl chain for me for $24.99. I’m wondering if there is any difference between prepackaged or custom made?

I also called the Chain Saw Clinic and when I told him I had a Pioneer saw that pretty much ended the conversation as he didn’t want anything to do with it telling me that the Husqvarna chain tensioner was different from the Pioneer and I would have to look elsewhere.

On the positive side the tensioner I ordered on eBay shipped within a couple of hours of me ordering it yesterday.

No difference in the chains. They buy bulk chain. some shops spin most of their chains as required as do many on here. They are put together with OEM stihl parts.

No difference in the chains. They buy bulk chain. some shops spin most of their chains as required as do many on here. They are put together with OEM stihl parts.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll go with the cheaper one then if I can only get the required link count confirmed.

Oregon’s Part Selector claims that the P25 chain with 16” bar has 60 links.

Looking at this Service Bulletin it appears that Pioneer’s 16” bars require 69 links. Am I reading this bulletin correctly?

Probably reading it correctly but interpreting it incorrectly. Without having the Oregon Part Selector handy, I'd guess their 60 DL reference is for 3/8's, not .325, and the Pioneer bulletin is referencing a difference in bar profiles for the associated .325 chain DL counts.

Probably reading it correctly but interpreting it incorrectly. Without having the Oregon Part Selector handy, I'd guess their 60 DL reference is for 3/8's, not .325, and the Pioneer bulletin is referencing a difference in bar profiles for the associated .325 chain DL counts.
Thanks for the clarification. The pitch size is different between the two models and with the smaller pitch the P26 requires more links. Between 66-69 links to be precise according to Oregon.

Looks like I will be getting my chain tomorrow after all.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll go with the cheaper one then if I can only get the required link count confirmed.
If you have a current chain you can count the drive links (the part that fits in the bar groove)...
Odds are good if a currently used chain is given to any decent chainsaw dealer they can/will tell you everything you want to know.
If all else fails, I can take my entire saw to my local Stihl dealer (I don't own a Stihl) and they will for no additional charge fabricate the correct chain. Cutter's Supply (Stihl) offers two chains for the price of one. When I utilize them that's the deal I go for. I also tell them I couldn't care less about low kickback! That usually nets me a better cutting chain.

If you have a current chain you can count the drive links...
That’s just it. I don’t have the saw with me at present. It’s up north and I was hoping to get a new chain for it before leaving for there Friday. Hence my query here.

Are there any saw dealers close to where you will be this weekend?
Cutter's Supply deals mostly with loggers. It takes them 10 - 15 minutes to fabricate a chain. Any decent saw shop in the area where your saw resides should be able to do the same.
Buying the wrong chain is no bargain!
Lou
Keep the old chain (paint it red) and you'll never have to go through this again.
Without knowing your level of expertise, the MSgt in me defaults to complete rookie. When lives depended on it I treated all my subordinates like they just graduated from tech school. Please forgive me.

Are there any saw dealers close to where you will be this weekend?
Cutter's Supply deals mostly with loggers. It takes them 10 - 15 minutes to fabricate a chain. Any decent saw shop in the area where your saw resides should be able to do the same.
Buying the wrong chain is no bargain!
Lou
Keep the old chain and you'll never have to go through this again.
There is a dealer up there who I have spoken with already but he claims to be pretty busy and he can’t commit to making a chain for me right away. I may have to wait some time for it. Therefore I prefer to have one in hand before heading up north.

Actually, truth be told I had a couple of extra chains for this saw lying around which have mysteriously disappeared.

Last suggestion... Drop the saw off at your local dealer... go eat breakfast at the local greasy spoon and it's likely your chain will be ready when you return (ask if the dealer would like you to bring anything back with you and it's almost a guarantee your chain will be waiting).
GL
Lou

Last suggestion... Drop the saw off at your local dealer... go eat breakfast at the local greasy spoon and it's likely your chain will be ready when you return (ask if the dealer would like you to bring anything back with you and it's almost a guarantee your chain will be waiting).
GL
Lou
The plan sounds good but there is a fly in the ointment. It would appear that chain matters are left to his chain guy who maintains an irregular schedule. Hence his inability to commit.

If your main issue is not knowing the bar gauge, buy pre-packaged chains in both .050 and .058 and simply return the one that doesn't fit. Any dealer worth squat should do that for you.
I was thinking of doing that but now that pioneerguy600 has chimed in I feel rather confident in going with the .058. I hope my confidence is not misplaced.

Speaking of worth squat . My local Stihl / Echo dealer wont spin chains ! They will only sell links if you buy the bag of 25. They dont stock chain reels either. Hard to do buisness with a dealer like that . I drive 15 miles to a honest dealer who does it all for any brand.

Latest posts

Back