Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. What do you do for a case gasket if you split? Standard size bearings?

Ive never ported and probably won’t but who knows.

Case uses an oring like many contemporary Homelites. I attached directions from the manual on pulling the oil pump shaft and pulling the drive side loose. The two tasks go hand-in-hand. For actually pulling the drive side I use 3 lengths 12-24 threaded rod, 5 or 6" and a harmonic puller. Bearings are 6202c3 and 6203c3.

IMG_20220903_9610.jpg

Hello fellow Saw Junkies I purchased a 6.0 cube P6? Series saw and can’t I’d it I would appreciate any and all help with this Thanks

Have you pulled the Western style muffler off and measure thru the exhaust port with a popscle stick for Bore size. 6cube should be 57.1 mm and it is possible you may have a 5 cube cyl on that saw also which would measure 52.39mm.
The cyl looks like a chrome Mahale cyl ,it has the Prestolite ign module mount bosses on cyl. which would be correct for a P60 and
lt has the westcoast full wrap and west oast muffleron saw but those parts could have been swapped over.
Lf you could pull the Reed block out of saw and look to see if it has the metal reed or fibre reed , this info would narrow things down because all Western saws had fibre reeds.
The Piston rings are probably the thin ones which would be standard for the P60 and P61 .
The P60 would have the decompression valve in the top cyl head also.
The Btm frame colour in pic looks like it is Black , if so it has been swapped out of another Saw.
All Western Model Saws were Black Frames, Top & Btm

Case uses an oring like many contemporary Homelites. I attached directions from the manual on pulling the oil pump shaft and pulling the drive side loose. The two tasks go hand-in-hand. For actually pulling the drive side I use 3 lengths 12-24 threaded rod, 5 or 6" and a harmonic puller. Bearings are 6202c3 and 6203c3.

View attachment 1014885
Thank you for that. Very handy.

I'm this far...I might as well go all out. Those bearings are easy to come by. She can have some new ones

Have you pulled the Western style muffler off and measure thru the exhaust port with a popscle stick for Bore size. 6cube should be 57.1 mm and it is possible you may have a 5 cube cyl on that saw also which would measure 52.39mm.
The cyl looks like a chrome Mahale cyl ,it has the Prestolite ign module mount bosses on cyl. which would be correct for a P60 and
lt has the westcoast full wrap and west oast muffleron saw but those parts could have been swapped over.
Lf you could pull the Reed block out of saw and look to see if it has the metal reed or fibre reed , this info would narrow things down because all Western saws had fibre reeds.
The Piston rings are probably the thin ones which would be standard for the P60 and P61 .
The P60 would have the decompression valve in the top cyl head also.
The Btm frame colour in pic looks like it is Black , if so it has been swapped out of another Saw.
All Western Model Saws were Black Frames, Top & Btm
Yes its 2.250 bore so 6.0 CI it has what looks like Boysen 2 stage reeds yes the bottom of the handle is black and top is green the decompression is on coil side of cylinder. Thanks for your reply Beavers.

Morning men. I'm not on here much as I'm more of a Mac guy but wanted let the pioneer fellas know I have what I believe to be a partial carcass of some sort of pioneer. All the stickers are gone but I'm sure there is a number stamped somewhere. Advice on finding that would be quite welcome.
My intent is to hopefully be able to help a fellow cad sufferer get a part he needs for a saw he's fixing up. Will post a pic when I get a chance.
Went out to take said pic last night but the blasted phone died on the way to the saw shed!

Latest posts

Back