Pioneer P61 Clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
Hello again,

I own a Pioneer P61, no spark at the moment, but when it was running, my dad before he passed away, said it needed a new clutch.

Any idea where I can get one?

Thanks

I just wanted to add that some of the clutches can be rebuilt. It may just need a single part replaced, ex... bearing, shoes or spring.

Anybody want to bet 50 cents that what Dad meant was it needed a clutch DRUM? A lot of folks get them mixed up. Mike

I am sure you are correct, but what does that mean?

It could be the drum, and not the clutch?

the clutch is the piece that "flys" out and meets the Drum correct?

Would it be best to just swap out the clutch/drum completely?

what does it mean? Well the drum can get worn in the bearing area and become wobbly. It can get worn in the sprocket area and not want to turn the chain but bind up instead. It could be a floating rim and the splines could be shot. It could be worn by a large groove in the area where the clutch flys out. It could be cracked or broken or bent. It's your saw, and you have it, so get off the computor, and go look. BTW while you are checking take a look at the clutch also. Springs, spider, shoes, threads- stuff like that. Mike

Hello I know this is an old thread but today I made a Husqvarna 365 coil fit on a pioneer P61. Just slotted the one hole in the center of the coil towards the coil itself and made a piece work for the second mount. It works great and runs good. Way cheaper then trying to find the original coil for that saw when they were all bad for loosing spark. Bit mickey mouse but it works.

I used a black unlimited coil but probably could have used a blue coil too. The second screw mount was to hold the coil back from pivoting towards the flywheel, I didn't want to try to weld a nut to the existing coil so came up with this idea. Seems to work good hasn't moved, and that stuff on the coil by the screw is seal all where I ground back the body of the coil but after finishing it I think I didn't have to grind back the body at all. Surprisingly runs awesome, before I finished it I was worrying if it would be way off time but nope doesn't kick back through the pull handle when starting, and runs great through all the rpm. I don't have a way to check the timing with a timing light etc. Just had the kill wire off to show the coil, other then that all works good when connected.

Back