Pioneer/Partner P65

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooterbum

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Rebuilt the carb, plenty of spark.
She backfires,hard enough to split my middle finger open when she bit back and shatter the pull start handle.
Learned some new cuss words on that one.:censored:
Any ideas what could change the timing ?

Has electronic ignition, flywheel key is good, compression is 195-200......
And yes my gauge is good.

With 16" bar and what looks like race chain.

Your decomp is not working

The valve passage is clogged so no decompression.

You will NOT be able to start a 98CC reed saw with that much base compression without a decomp

Then the decomp may be worn out

They wear over time and can kick out too soon.

It happens to a lot of macs too even the later piston ports with the boost porting which had the highest base compression of any piston ports I have ever seen.

Are you ground starting the saw?

Two things

When you remove the comp release, clean the hole of any carbon build up and make sure the valve is clear with no carbon build up.

The other thing with these type of saws is the way you start.

Pull the recoil with the decomp pressed until it goes just TDC or just the slightest way past.

Set the decomp again and pull in a long strong pull.

The other thing you can do sometimes on this style saw is hold the decomp in with your foot while pulling the recoil and release it after it fires a few times.

Okay tried a Mac decomp. No difference.Motor is suprisingly clean inside.
Tried holding it in with my boot,no good.:(

I think I will pull the top end and see if there has been any port work.

I don't know the history of this saw.

Besides I've got this big knot in my forearm now and some new `cuss' words.

You didn't tell us if this is a new saw for you or have you had it for a while? If you just got the saw, I would bet someone has put on a flywheel from a P60 or 61 which will not work. I had the same thing with a P62 that I got and rebuilt. Would kick back so hard it would pull the recoil out of your hands. Finally changed the flywheel and saw starts fine and runs good. You need a flywheel from a saw that uses the phelon ignition module. Donors are saws such as P39's P52's ,P62's, Poulan pro 405, 455, 655. The flywheel from the P60,61 is very similar looking, but the magnets are just a bit closer to the module and it advances the timing too much.

Hey Pioneerman

Thanks for the heads up on the flywheel.The saw is new to me with no history to go by.I'll pull the key and dial the flywheel back a few degrees and see what happens.Right now I'll have to wait for my hand to heal.Two of my fingers are about twice their normal size.Hopefully in a few more days.

Watch for bad reeds also, bad reed valves will cause some horrendous back fires.

Thanks for the heads up on the flywheel.The saw is new to me with no history to go by.I'll pull the key and dial the flywheel back a few degrees and see what happens.Right now I'll have to wait for my hand to heal.Two of my fingers are about twice their normal size.Hopefully in a few more days.

Hurts doesnt it?:censored: :censored:

The Phelon flywheel will have Phelon cast on the front of the flywheel. I think the space between the magnets is a little different on the Phelon as well, so retarding the old flywheel might not work. Let us know how you make out.

Just a tad................but with those little pull-ons you have , you don't have too much to worry about.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ever started a Poulan?

Every so often the starter pawls will bind with the plastic starter spool..making the whole deal come to a screaching halt mid yank.:censored: I just have to pull it slowly through one time and it fixes itself..

I worked on a Poulan W/T that had the coil come loose and was riding on the flywheel...I know all about backfires and ripped fingers.

Also, lets not forget the easiest way to diagnose a sheared flywheel key on a pushmower..

Prime..prime...prime...Deep Breath....Pull..pop, SNAP...OH F*** Son of a *****, ******, Im gonna set you on fire you ******* peice of ****.

I just used asteriks...:censored:

Latest posts

Back