Plastic Needle Bearing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobR45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just replaced my clutch drive sprocket and the needle bearing on my Husqvarna 36. The old clutch drum sprocket was pretty worn, so the replacement was necessary. I purchased the new parts online. I put the new needle bearing on after greasing it liberally, and I noticed that it had a plastic race. Should I be concerned? The old needle bearing was totally a metal assembly. Are all the new bearings made this way? I would hate for it to go south on me when I am in the woods. Any thoughts?

I just replaced my clutch drive sprocket and the needle bearing on my Husqvarna 36. The old clutch drum sprocket was pretty worn, so the replacement was necessary. I purchased the new parts online. I put the new needle bearing on after greasing it liberally, and I noticed that it had a plastic race. Should I be concerned? The old needle bearing was totally a metal assembly. Are all the new bearings made this way? I would hate for it to go south on me when I am in the woods. Any thoughts?

dude its america! we are getting cheaper!!

dont worry about it some pro saws have them too

I've been seeing nylon cages in automotive wheel bearings (tapered needles) for decades. I assume your crank won't get that hot (it would kill the crankcase seal if it did), but if you try to run the saw with the brake engaged, the bearing cage won't like the heat.

I've been seeing nylon cages in automotive wheel bearings (tapered needles) for decades. I assume your crank won't get that hot (it would kill the crankcase seal if it did), but if you try to run the saw with the brake engaged, the bearing cage won't like the heat.
:agree2:
And the oiler gear won't like it also.

For the OP I think all of the replacement bearings for that size of saw come with plastic cages, don't worry about it, just go run the saw!

I wouldnt worry...

You'll have radial pressure instead of thrust...

Back