Please Help! Husqvarna 435 wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnhensley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am at a loss with my saw. This is a reconditioned 435e ii. Purchased close to 3 years ago. It has run flawlessly for me. I've probably run 4 or 5 gallons of gas through it since I've owned it and never needed any serious maintenance.

A few weeks ago I was just about done working with it and it just sputtered out on me. I tried to restart it furiously for about 20 minutes. No go. Pulled the plug, has spark, Pulled the filter, not clogged. Plenty of fuel. Crank spins freely. No unusual wear or gouging in the cylinder.

I brought the saw in to my work and had our resident chainsaw nut look it over. we swapped the coil from his 450, it started, but we had the carb adjusted all the way and it still wouldn't run properly.
We replaced the carburetor (probably didn't need it)

I'm beginning to think that it probably needs an ignition coil.

Any other thoughts from more experienced people? Has anyone had the same issue?

I'm hesitant to spend ~$80 on a saw that I only paid ~$200 for

It could be low on compression, even though you said you have no cylinder gouging. I suggest that you do a compression test next. You might not even have 100 psi. Your "resident chainsaw nut" might have a compression tester on hand.

When a saw "dies" during use and it's not a coil issue, the outlook is somewhat bleak.
I'd remove the screws retaining the muffler and inspect the piston skirt and cylinder wall for damage.
That or the compression testing suggestion would seem to be the next item to check.

I didn't mention it, but we completely disassembled the saw. All of the rotating components were in perfect shape, as well as the cylinder. The ring on the piston is floating freely as it should.

It is not. I found a thread on another forum where a member had the same issue. His coil tested good, he had good spark. But the saw would not fire. After replacing the coil with a new one it fired right up. reinstalled the old coil and no-go again.
I may have the same issue with a vintage Husqvarna 50. It tests at 150 psi, carb is pumping OK, flywheel is tight, and spark exists. Still won't continue to run, sputters, and dies. I'm now convinced it's an electical problem of some sort. One day it started and ran OK and the next morning it refused to start.

I do not see anywhere in this post where the ignition module was replaced. I have read several times here and elsewhere that even though a spark was visible, the ignition module was not firing either a strong enough spark or it was firing at the wrong time. It could be caused by a loose flywheel (spark engine not timed right or erratic) or a defective IM. Gap to the flywheel may not be set right either. When it's an electrical failure, the possibilities are numerous.

I may have the same issue with a vintage Husqvarna 50. It tests at 150 psi, carb is pumping OK, flywheel is tight, and spark exists. Still won't continue to run, sputters, and dies. I'm now convinced it's an electical problem of some sort. One day it started and ran OK and the next morning it refused to start.
Do you want to get rid of that 50?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I do not see anywhere in this post where the ignition module was replaced. I have read several times here and elsewhere that even though a spark was visible, the ignition module was not firing either a strong enough spark or it was firing at the wrong time. It could be caused by a loose flywheel (spark engine not timed right or erratic) or a defective IM. Gap to the flywheel may not be set right either. When it's an electrical failure, the possibilities are numerous.
Untitled.png

So I was able to find an aftermarket ignition coil on Amazon for $30. I ordered that, I'll let you guys know what the outcome is.

In the meantime, I picked up a shiny new 550XP mark 2 from a local dealer...

Do you want to get rid of that 50?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I may if my coil (in transit) does not fix it. I could save it for parts because some fit a 51 that a friend bought from me. It runs perfectly and I should never have sold it. Thanks for your interest. I hate it when a saw fails like this. Most of the time I have no trouble fixing them. This one operates like a spoiled brat.

There are no "spoiled brat saws" they are in inanimate objects. There are some "spoiled brat" saw owners however.
Strictly an analogy, it reminds me of a spoiled brat that will start and run one day and then say good bye the next, as if it had a mind of its own. It's one of the few saws I have ever worked on that does this. I figure its brain is messed up or worn out (the ignition module).

I recently replaced the ignition coil on my 3 year old 435 refurb and got it up and running. Mine was hard to start when hot and then wouldn’t start at all. Did some reading here and gave it a try. Make sure you get the right pn, as there are a few for the different 435’s.

I recently replaced the ignition coil on my 3 year old 435 refurb and got it up and running. Mine was hard to start when hot and then wouldn’t start at all. Did some reading here and gave it a try. Make sure you get the right pn, as there are a few for the different 435’s.
Yeah, I had to wade through a lot of different part #s to make sure I got the right one.

The new coil showed up yesterday, it's on the saw and the saw is running like a top again! Problem fixed.

From my experience this is a common issue with this grade of saws, recently had to fix my mates 455. Ran fine till it got hot, then shut down. Wouldn't start till it cooled off. Checking spark with the plug out showed spark. (And is a useless test tbh) hooked the coil tester to it and the spark wouldn't jump a 2mm gap. (Should easily jump 6mm gap) coil was bad. Replaced the coil and sharpened a few chains for him and he was good to go again.

I may have the same issue with a vintage Husqvarna 50. It tests at 150 psi, carb is pumping OK, flywheel is tight, and spark exists. Still won't continue to run, sputters, and dies. I'm now convinced it's an electrical problem of some sort. One day it started and ran OK and the next morning it refused to start.
That was it. The ignition module was gone. It fired sometimes but not all the time or it was just plain weak. I replaced it and today it started and ran perfectly. Lots of power as predicted by high compression, and the carb still adjusts nicely. It's a keeper. Sean Donato passed his luck right along to me. Thanks, Sean.

Latest posts

Back