Plowing and salting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know some of you guys plow. We haven't had a snowflake since I bought a plow couple years ago...figgers. Got a little action supposed to come in. Wondering what you guys charge for putting down a bag of salt. Just put on a new spreader. First year I used a chincy walk behind spreader. I landed a nice size contract might be all I do and went in at hun dollars hour to plow...but what if no snow and all you got is ice? Still hundred dollars per hour and add on marked up salt?

Yeah Cape, saw that years ago when there was a companion tree forum I belonged to...may still be there. We made a killing this weekend and it is not over. Tomorrow poss. snow and ice.

Not much chance with a one year old plow and a 1 month old spreader and a nearly new 4x4 Silverado 3500...but not big on the nights and plowing tight spots in the dark. But nice payoff when no treework possible. Way beats out fkn firewood! I am real tired today tho.

I charge 2-3 times the cost of the bag of salt. If I use my 600 lb buyers spreader, I charge around $300 for spreading the 12 bags that fit into it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Not much chance with a one year old plow and a 1 month old spreader and a nearly new 4x4 Silverado 3500...but not big on the nights and plowing tight spots in the dark. But nice payoff when no treework possible. Way beats out fkn firewood! I am real tired today tho.

Electrical issues are always the biggest problem. Moisture and salt eat the lines no matter what you do. And carry a spare hydraulic plow solenoid to change out when they all of a sudden crap out.
Next in line is hydraulic lines (always carry one or two) They wear through by rubbing something/anything. Of course, carry a quart of hydraulic oil too.
Neverseez your bolts for your plow edge. Crank them down real tight, even with an air gun and use a lock washer. They won't rattle off and you can change them out quick as opposed to burning them off with a torch.

I have a pickup as my plow truck and a 1ton dump truck (chipper truck) with no plow. Was wondering if a tailgate spreader for my dump truck would be cheaper/a better investment than a pickup truck receiver hitch style spreader......?

If you have a place to store bulk salt it is cheaper then bag salt but if you dont empty the entire hooper, you have to sit at the shop and auger the rest of the salt out of the spreader

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

If you can slide it in the one ton then yes, that's a better idea than the one for the receiver hitch. Those are held in place by straps and have a huge tendency to get overloaded and twist and break welds. Then of course there's the salt and sand that will get all over the back of the pickup and underneath leading to corrosion and mayhem. Smartest design I've seen in years is the plastic tub polycaster or the polycaster LT.

Good to know. I was hoping for a cheap way to set up my 1ton dump with a spreader. Probably not gonna happen, huh.

Bulk 210.00 a ton and bag is roughly 3xs the cost of product . Shovelers average 55.00 an hour a truck is 95.00 and a loader is 110.00 and a loader and snow box is about 140.00 backhoes are about a 150.00

More **** comin in Fri night into Sat. Day after for you Easterners. Go buy some more salt (no place to store bulk) and put spreader and plow back on tomorrow. Had to take em off to run thru car wash and get some of the salt off.

It can be somewhat rewarding. I only do commercial accounts. Hours suck of course. Breakdowns happen, don't care whose make equipment. Welds break, electronics go south. And only happens when there is no where to get fixed, even then -get in line, so ya got to be able to do 98% of your own repairs. Rednecking to get back to shop is a way of life. 1 truck/w plow and a commercial account - you have a lot more guts than sense. ( got insurance? A slip and fall suit will clean you out for life) Always have a back up or at least someone that will cover your tail as sxxx happens. Might want to carry a spare fully charged battery, new electronics on vehicles won't work once voltage drops below 10.5 Volts, Your stock alternator can not keep up with heavy draw from a plow. Batteries last about 2 seasons, fall apart internally from the bouncing and jouncing- again doesn't matter what type or make. I have had Western , Fisher, Blizzard, SnowWay, and now Boss plows. Been at it a long time. Customers don't care when you have equipment problems only that their lot/drive is cleared asap.

It can be somewhat rewarding. I only do commercial accounts. Hours suck of course. Breakdowns happen, don't care whose make equipment. Welds break, electronics go south. And only happens when there is no where to get fixed, even then -get in line, so ya got to be able to do 98% of your own repairs. Rednecking to get back to shop is a way of life. 1 truck/w plow and a commercial account - you have a lot more guts than sense. ( got insurance? A slip and fall suit will clean you out for life) Always have a back up or at least someone that will cover your tail as sxxx happens. Might want to carry a spare fully charged battery, new electronics on vehicles won't work once voltage drops below 10.5 Volts, Your stock alternator can not keep up with heavy draw from a plow. Batteries last about 2 seasons, fall apart internally from the bouncing and jouncing- again doesn't matter what type or make. I have had Western , Fisher, Blizzard, SnowWay, and now Boss plows. Been at it a long time. Customers don't care when you have equipment problems only that their lot/drive is cleared asap.

+1
Dead on.

More **** comin in Fri night into Sat. Day after for you Easterners. Go buy some more salt (no place to store bulk) and put spreader and plow back on tomorrow. Had to take em off to run thru car wash and get some of the salt off.
Make sure to coat the inside of the sprayer with a coating of diesel just get a old pump sprayer and put a good coating on , and the same for the plow and frame you will find it washes the salt right off with nothing more then a garden hose . We coat the bodies frames and inside and outsides of everything with diesel it really works well

Back