Plowing and salting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can be somewhat rewarding. I only do commercial accounts. Hours suck of course. Breakdowns happen, don't care whose make equipment. Welds break, electronics go south. And only happens when there is no where to get fixed, even then -get in line, so ya got to be able to do 98% of your own repairs. Rednecking to get back to shop is a way of life. 1 truck/w plow and a commercial account - you have a lot more guts than sense. ( got insurance? A slip and fall suit will clean you out for life) Always have a back up or at least someone that will cover your tail as sxxx happens. Might want to carry a spare fully charged battery, new electronics on vehicles won't work once voltage drops below 10.5 Volts, Your stock alternator can not keep up with heavy draw from a plow. Batteries last about 2 seasons, fall apart internally from the bouncing and jouncing- again doesn't matter what type or make. I have had Western , Fisher, Blizzard, SnowWay, and now Boss plows. Been at it a long time. Customers don't care when you have equipment problems only that their lot/drive is cleared asap.

Willing to bet I pull out this comm account this season with just one (new) truck, plow, spreader, and me doing all the work carefully. Already easily handled 2 pushes and multiple salting and this large convent I care for is and has been perfect and I get paid "do everything you want and bill it". I got a friend that will cover me and a fab shop next door (I am next door to the act.)...so no worries mate. You sound a little bitter. I am a tree guy and don't really need this income.

Not bitter, speaking from experience. Yesterday, neighbor calls ( he plows also) truck won't move. Balmy -5 deg out, pin that holds trany shift linkage cable snapped off under truck. ( automatic) and so it goes.

'11 Silverado 3500 bought new and svcd. religiously with 30k on it. New Snow Dogg 1 year maybe 20 hrs use tops and 3 week old Snowex spreader 800# cap. Nice in that full view with it sitting so low.

Hey I did a lot of plowing back in the '70's in Hunterdon Cty Jersey with a 72 International one ton dump dually 4x4 and we had some wet deep snows and broke all cross members, chipped a gear tooth and burnt a clutch or 2 (had to do a lot of ramming...so I know where you very experienced guys are coming from

I was more curious about what blades runs for equipment. Just wondring if its old junk or he just has bad luck

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

'11 Silverado 3500 bought new and svcd. religiously with 30k on it. New Snow Dogg 1 year maybe 20 hrs use tops and 3 week old Snowex spreader 800# cap. Nice in that full view with it sitting so low.

Hey I did a lot of plowing back in the '70's in Hunterdon Cty Jersey with a 72 International one ton dump dually 4x4 and we had some wet deep snows and broke all cross members, chipped a gear tooth and burnt a clutch or 2 (had to do a lot of ramming...so I know where you very experienced guys are coming from
A heavy wet snow will destroy any equipment . I run a few pieces at once you just take your time and work smart remember where manhole covers are and curb corners . I sAw a brand new rubber tire loader break a ram because the guy was speeding with a snow box it's all on the operator .

I havent really had to many problems with plows and what not. Had a main wire come lose and heat up and melt which cause me to not be able to use the plow. Had to use a small comalong to raise the plow and replace the wire when I got home.

Equipment dosen't start off old but gets there quick, nature of the business. I've been down sizing over the past couple years. Just sold the skid steer ( might regret that) trucks are currently an 06 250 and 99 350 both gassers. Had a oil burnner, sold it couple years ago body and frame pretty well shot. Close to 300k on that one. Plow mounts and pivot points wear out from the constant hammering, Plow mfg keep changing the mounts so by the time you buy the over priced adapters might just as well get new plow and be done with it for awhile. Neighbors rig is a 99 chevy 1/2ton and 7.5 western blade both bought new together.

I have had boss Plows for the last 7 years. Never had any problems. I sokd my stright blade plow last year and got vxt boss plows. Same wiring harness and mount so all I had to change was the inside the cab controller. You csnt be rammy plowing.

Latest posts

Back