PM Canadien

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the 270 painted yesterday, work got busy so I still haven't ordered the seals.

View attachment 799974

View attachment 799975

Should look all right when its done. I'm going to sand through the paint to expose the logo details on the top cover and clutch cover then spray the clearcoat. Going to let all that dry for at least a week first though.
Looks great! I thought from the looks of paint job on your PM21 you had a paint booth. What's the paint your using? I bought a can of cream coloured paint I will try today see if it's close.

Looks great! I thought from the looks of paint job on your PM21 you had a paint booth. What's the paint your using? I bought a can of cream coloured paint I will try today see if it's close.
In my dreams I have a really nice paint booth..... :) in reality it all gets painted out side of the shop while hanging on a line, then hung inside to dry.

The blue is some duplicolor car touch up paint, the white/cream is tremclad "recreational white" I found a nice section of paint that wasn't damaged and it was quite close in color. The PM21 was straight gloss white, and I don't think it looks quite right, but the almondy color also didn't seem right either. All of it was primed with duplicolor self etching primer.

All of it will be top coated with spraymax 2k gloss clear. Its pricey, but very good for fuel/abrasion resistance.

In my dreams I have a really nice paint booth..... :) in reality it all gets painted out side of the shop while hanging on a line, then hung inside to dry.

The blue is some duplicolor car touch up paint, the white/cream is tremclad "recreational white" I found a nice section of paint that wasn't damaged and it was quite close in color. The PM21 was straight gloss white, and I don't think it looks quite right, but the almondy color also didn't seem right either. All of it was primed with duplicolor self etching primer.

All of it will be top coated with spraymax 2k gloss clear. Its pricey, but very good for fuel/abrasion resistance.
Hahaha that's my kind of painting

View attachment 800882 View attachment 800883 View attachment 800884 View attachment 800885 Redid this one a few years. Stopped short of pulling crank since it turned smooth at the time (and I didn't know how). Has a few defects but runs well enough. Typical old direct drive. Kind of slow to wind up and overly-large chain--1/2" pitch.

Chris B.
That looks good, not sure if mine will be a runner, the case is pretty rough it might not have the strength left in the metal.
I will try and get it to work, I cleaned the case now I want to get it bead blasted a bit and see if it disintegrates.
I don't have the equipment for that. It's just the case that's corroded.

Got the 270 painted yesterday, work got busy so I still haven't ordered the seals.

View attachment 799975

Should look all right when its done. I'm going to sand through the paint to expose the logo details on the top cover and clutch cover then spray the clearcoat. Going to let all that dry for at least a week first though.

I used razor blade to clean it off while it stihl had a tack.

IMG_1041.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    471.3 KB · Views: 8
I've that most of those old saws used off the shelf bearings and the bearings usually have numbers. Clean them and look them over. Of course, that weird rod bearing is an exception.

Chris B.

I've that most of those old saws used off the shelf bearings and the bearings usually have numbers. Clean them and look them over. Of course, that weird rod bearing is an exception.

Chris B.
I think I will take the parts with me too, there's some 2 roller bearings in the flywheel side of the case and 2 in the wrist pin end of the con rod.IMG_2052.JPGIMG_2054.JPGIMG_2071.JPG

Never heard of such a thing. Do you have a picture?

Took a few pictures of the tank vent, you can see mine is on the right (clutch) side of the tank, magneto side is solid. I wonder if they changed after early production? I lifted off the tape i have on the vent for painting.

Attachments

• 20200225_223112.jpg
    20200225_223112.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200225_223118.jpg
    20200225_223118.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200225_223135.jpg
    20200225_223135.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 7
Do you suppose that tank could have come from one of the 270 variants produced later, such as the 175 or 1660 Skil? Is the 270 serial tag on the bottom of the tank? Never seen the vent anywhere but the left side. And that tank is on all the 27x models.

Chris B.

Back