PNW folks - Farley9n

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time searching and getting this machine to work right. Anyone know how to get in contact with Farley9n? He had an earthquake centered real close(couple miles) to his neck woods this morning. Hearing anywhere between 4.2 and 5.something. Not big for many of you guys, but it's big and damaging for our part of the country. Wondering if he's all good to go or may need help with anything.

Owl

Yah, he is on Facebook, also here. Not likely any damage there though, accordant to the folks in Springfield.

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. (AP) — Some Oregonians woke on the Fourth of July to a significant jolt when a magnitude 4.2 earthquake struck near Springfield and Eugene.

Hundreds of people reported to the U.S. Geological Survey that they felt the quake, which struck at 8:42 a.m. Saturday.

Usually, there isn't any damage from quakes lower than magnitude 5.5, USGS geophysicist Paul Caruso said.

City of Springfield officials said they haven't received any reports of damage from residents or to infrastructure.

I don't have facebook. I wouldn't have figured much if any damage. One family I know, had a busted window and twisted barn. The roll doors on the barn three won't go up and the fourth won't roll down. Just thought I would check, just in case.

Gypo, The wind storm down here in 07 I think, was fantastic. I like wind. I don't know the wind MPH but it pushed our full size 1 ton pick up sideways just under 18" in the gravel drive. On the east coast it would have been a catastrophic storm. Cruise the coast range and it looked like someone drug a skyline 30' off the ground and snapped off swaths of timber. I think Windthrown had some photos. Peak gust at Hebo I believe was 208mph not far from here. I remember working out of Tillamook and seeing a brown ocean estimated 1/2 mile out and rafts of wash down timber like a solid mat. The 92 earthquake was cool, the ground was waving like ocean swells, I finally stayed on the ground after getting knocked down. I do not like lightning strikes. When your close enough you'll see a bolt come up out of the ground to meet the one coming down. The air sizzles. It almost sucks the air out of your lungs and even with your eyes closed the light burns. Loud does not describe it.

If anyone here that Farley may need a hand with anything, could you please pass me the message? I'll try to find him here and send a message also.

Thanks guys.

Owl

Hmmm, while the '07 storm was big, it was not exactly eastern seaboard catastrophic. Too narrow a swath for that. I rode out the '07 storm farther south and saw the damage first hand at the epicenter near Cannon Beach. Now, the Big Blow on Columbus Day in 1962? That was a tail of a typhoon that whipped the west coast from Monterey, CA to north of Vancouver Island in BC. That storm flattened much of Portland and is the benchmark of PNW storms. I posted lots of photos of the '07 storm here, but that was in the AS vBulletin days, and they are gone now. Huge stands of 2ft+ DBH DF were snapped like toothpicks. That was the storm that took out the (then) world's tallest Sitka Spruce.

Here is a photo of the '07 storm near Cannon Beach, OR from Hwy. 26.

storm damage.jpg

Also your numbers are off, you are quoting KPH numbers, not MPH. For comparison:

The Great Gale of '07 had peak wind gusts of up to 137 mph (220 km/h) at Holy Cross, Washington, and 129 mph (208 km/h) at Bay City, OR. Note that while the '07 storm was not the largest in the west, it was the first one that they flew the hurricane two flag warning on the west coast. Flooding was extensive in this storm, as it was a Pineapple Express from the tropics. The intensity of this storm was rather narrow, from northwest OR to south BC, although there were massive snow dumps as far east as Chicago from all the storm moisture.

For comparison, the Big Blow of '62 had peak wind gust readings at Cape Blanco from a wind gauge that had lost one of its cups read in excess of 145 miles per hour (233 km/h) and several other reports put the peak velocity at 179 miles per hour (288 km/h). Most all the wind gauges were destroyed in that storm, so they had to use damage to estimate the peak gusts, which were at least 170 mph in many places. The damage in that storm was extensive and wide spread from as far south as SF, CA to Vancouver, BC and inland to Spokane, WA . Sustained winds were over 120 mph, making it a minimum of a category 3 hurricane.

Both of these storms were remnants of typhoons in the western Pacific as well as tropical storms and/or hurricanes formed off of Baja California, known as Chubascos.

It must be a real rush to experience an earthquake, tornado, hurricane, receeding glacier or lightning strike.
It's always nice to know who the boss is. Lol
You must live in that giant wasteland where nothing realy ever happens.

BTW...isn't the PNW also all of the Coast of BC and the "AK pacific . hence the "North"in the Northwest ...Owl must mean "pacific south northwest"... known to the "north North Americans",of course thats the west I'm refering too.:dizzy:

You must live in that giant wasteland where nothing realy ever happens.

BTW...isn't the PNW also all of the Coast of BC and the "AK pacific . hence the "North"in the Northwest ...Owl must mean "pacific south northwest"... known to the "north North Americans",of course thats the west I'm refering too.:dizzy:
Lol, on the contrary. Where I am now use to be the bottom of a lake 300 years ago when a glacier let loose.
So its a virgin forest now, or it was untill I was let loose.

^^^ did someone say virgin?
I thought most people settle where the water is and not where the water left?
Anyway....*thinking* wouldn't you be closer to the top of the lake if the water was displaced by the slid ? Just a thought.

Just waiting to here about a seat on a Three month ROW job in StewartBC/Hyder AK. They just started Helipads. The heat shutdown has helped the demand in general thats for sure. I hadn't seen adds for a year at least.

Yes, the "62" storm was a dilly. Imagine the damage today from that storm. The storm that took the Hood Canal Bridge down in 79/80 was a doozy also. I couldn't get out of the Lake Ozette area for over a day because of all trees down. By the time it was all said and done it did about $35,000 damage to our place west of Port Angeles.

^^^ did someone say virgin?
I thought most people settle where the water is and not where the water left?
Anyway....*thinking* wouldn't you be closer to the top of the lake if the water was displaced by the slid ? Just a thought.

Just waiting to here about a seat on a Three month ROW job in StewartBC/Hyder AK. They just started Helipads. The heat shutdown has helped the demand in general thats for sure. I hadn't seen adds for a year at least.

I worked in Stewart in my youth,,, 1978 ish you must get Hyderized if you go.
Dont miss the north, lived in Kitsault and Terrace.
Most of my school friends logged. Some heli logged skycrane.
BBB

Back